Tripwire Interactive have announced that the popular Unreal mod, itself based on their Red Orchestra modified Unreal 2.5 engine, will be released on Steam (and, presumably, other digital platforms) in the near future.
Whilst not specifically developed by Tripwire themselves (who are beavering away on an as-yet un-announced project), they are providing support to the original creators. A teaser site (with forum linkage) lives here.
Killing Floor is a co-op multiplayer experience set in the UK and features lots of rampaging mutated zombie-ish clones who want to eat you. Think a more hardcore, less streamlined Left 4 Dead that (hopefully) eschews match-making for a server browser and you're set.
Press release in the murky depths below...
Roswell, GA, March 20th 2009 – Tripwire Interactive is proud to announce Killing Floor, due for release over Steam in the near future. Killing Floor is a first-person co-op survival horror, set in and around London after a mad scientist’s “specimens” have broken loose and gone on the rampage.
The game features:
- Co-op game mode for up to six players obliterating multiple waves of specimens
- Solo game mode for offline play
- Watch those crucial and violent creature deaths in slomo “ZEDtime”, even in multiplayer
- 9 different monster types trying to eat your face off, armed with everything from teeth and claws, through to chainsaws, chainguns and rocket-launchers
- 12+ weapons for the players to chose from, ranging from knives and fire-axes up to pump shotguns, rifles and a flamethrower
- Add in a welder, medical tools and body armor to help the players survive
- Persistent Perks system, allowing players to convert their in-game achievements into permanent improvements to their character’s skills and abilities
- Players choose which Perks to play with, so they can best balance out a co-op team to survive the horrors
- Open, non-linear play areas: choose when and where to fight – or run; weld doors closed to try and direct the monster horde
- Full support for Steamworks features, including Steam Achievements and Friends
- Fully-configurable, allowing players to change things as simple as the difficulty level or number of creature waves, or go so far as to set up their own favorite waves of monsters
- Includes SDK for the creation of new levels and mods