Welcome to Computers N Stuff
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Questions (which-do-not-deserve-their-own-thread) Thread

• Please log in to reply
2214 replies to this topic

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
A return of the 'pointless, stupid or rather perplexing thread from DW past'.

Is there a website service to anonymously give out a bit of info to selected individuals?

Example: I want to give people a number but no one can know what another person's number is, including myself. I setup the numbers and then each individual logs in and gets a number given to them. Everyone has a number, no one knows other people's numbers, job done.

Ataribaby

Ataribaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Would there be an ongoing need for this, or would it be a one-off? If it's just once, perhaps you could get someone trustworthy on here to dole out a few numbers anonymously?

burp

burp

Whoop Whoop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
I have some spare numbers that I no longer use if you want those.

Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
Are you organising a secret santa? :(

jeremy deagle

jeremy deagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
How the fuck has Steve Kean got a new contract?

tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,022 posts

How the fuck has Steve Kean got a new contract?

He hasn't.

jeremy deagle

jeremy deagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
http://www.lancashir...for_Steve_Kean/

gavpowell

gavpowell

Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

http://www.lancashir...for_Steve_Kean/

That's the same contract, amended.

jeremy deagle

jeremy deagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
Semantics, lets face it it's not going to be on worse terms. God only knows how he still has a job full stop.

Ataribaby

Ataribaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
I just bought this mouse mat with a comfy, happy-time wrist rest:

http://www.amazon.co...2136278&sr=8-78

I received it this morning, tried it an lo and behold my mouse barely registers on its surface. It's matt black - what was I thinking? :/

Do I return it, and on what grounds? Or do I just chalk it up to stupidity and give it to the charity shop?

Shogun

Shogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
It depends how much it cost you?

If it was a few bob then just give it away :(

tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,022 posts
Amazon are good with returns (In my experience). I'd just send it back.

Bald_Beauty

Bald_Beauty

Destroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
It'll probably qualify as "Twat-Tax".

tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,022 posts

Semantics, lets face it it's not going to be on worse terms. God only knows how he still has a job full stop.

Yeh you're right, regardless of what it is the fact he's still in the job is frightening enough.

We're seeing the death of Blackburn Rovers before our eyes.

gavpowell

gavpowell

Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
Does anyone know why chicken and pork are subject to dangerous levels of bacteria etc but beef isn't?

I've asked a virologist, a GP and looked online and noby has a satisfactory answer as to why beef is safe to eat raw, while chicken especially needs to be cooked thoroughly and ideally never reheated.

Burrito Boy

Burrito Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Does anyone know why chicken and pork are subject to dangerous levels of bacteria etc but beef isn't?

I've asked a virologist, a GP and looked online and noby has a satisfactory answer as to why beef is safe to eat raw, while chicken especially needs to be cooked thoroughly and ideally never reheated.

AFAIK they are all safe to eat raw, as long as the animal has been reared, slaughtered and processed correctly and is served fresh. I don't think the bacteria is inherent in the meat itself, it comes from either an animal's gut or from external sources such as faeces, contaminated water, flies etc.

I once saw a documentary about a family in the USA who ate all kinds of raw meat, and apparently they also eat raw chicken as a sushi dish in Japan. On the flipside, the documentary "Food, Inc" highlights that there are an increasing number of cases of E.coli caused by beef, contaminated during processing through contact with intestinal contents and faeces. Ironically, cattle only carry dangerous levels of E.coli in their intestinal tract when they are fed a corn diet, which is only given to them to fatten them up so they can be slaughtered sooner. When cattle are fed a natural diet of grass, the levels of E.coli in their gut drop dramatically.

So, is it safe to eat raw chicken or pork? I believe so, but you wouldn't catch me doing it in a hurry - I like my meat well cooked!

burp

burp

Whoop Whoop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
What was noby's answer?

gavpowell

gavpowell

Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

What was noby's answer?

Confused the hell out of me for a good 3 minutes there. I'm adjusting to a new keyboard and adjusting very badly. For "noby", read "nobody"

madwedge

Humble Bundle.

I've bought the latest one and just installed Defcon, but when I run it it's asking for an Authentication code?!? Where would I find this?

Edit - Never mind. Found it on the Downloads page!

Edited by madwedge, 26 November 2011 - 09:05 PM.

Halrick

Halrick

The Law

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
Can anyone recommend some etailers for buying general Christmas presents? So far I've browsed Amazon, Play, Zavvi and Firebox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users