Welcome to Computers N Stuff
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Good TV thread

• Please log in to reply
875 replies to this topic

justplainandy

justplainandy

just found the settings...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
I know we've got a films thread, and a funny videos thread, but thought I'd put a TV one up. Mainly because I was curious if anyone else had seen Derek, Ricky Gervais' "controversial" comedy on Thursday. It looks like it was either a pilot or a one off. Gervais plays the titular character, who appears to have learning difficulties but works in a residential home. Various groups have protested that it ridicules those with learning difficulties.

All I can say is that they obviously hadn't seen it, because it was brilliantly done. Again a faux-documentary style, but he seems to have mastered that technique. It was both funny and incredibly moving. Gervais possibly overdid the physical mannerisms of the character, but proved to me that he's actually a really good actor.

It also had the funniest headbutt I've seen on TV in ages...

Halrick

Halrick

The Law

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
I think far too many people heard "comedy drama" and instantly thought it'd be another hilarious offering from Gervais and disregarded the dramatic side of things. In reality, the comedy was subtle (with the exception of one or two occasions such as the headbut scene ;)) and the rest was, as you say, incredibly moving. I'd read on Twitter that "we'd all be in tears by the end" so saw the final scenes coming. Nevertheless, they were brilliant. Gervais' portrayal of Derek was spot on, IMO. Anyone who claims he's insulting those with learning disabilities either hasn't watched it or simply wants to find fault.

justplainandy

justplainandy

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
4OD link for anyone who missed it: http://www.channel4....ammes/derek/4od

SuPerNoVi

I thought Derek was fantastic, it was quite sad actually and when I first saw Gervais pulling that face I did think hummm how is that going to work but somehow it does. It doesn't mean he's the best actor in the world or anything far from it but he's doing something quite original and imo rather good. Hope he does a series.

I'd also like to add I don't get why people hate on Gervais just for being Gervais, the guy is one of the most honest and genuine individuals in entertainment today, him and the rest of the gang (Karl and Stephen). Haters going to hate and all that.

justplainandy

justplainandy

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
Interestingly, I thought Karl Pilkington came across as a lot more intelligent than he does on the podcasts, or on Idiot Abroad. He's a good actor either way - pretending he's either dumber or smarter than he really is...

al4omega

4OD link for anyone who missed it: http://www.channel4....ammes/derek/4od

Thanks!

This was a big topic of conversation last night - I'd never heard of it!

al4omega

Wow, that was touching. Brilliant.

Edited by al4omega, 14 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Halrick

Halrick

The Law

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
My only gripe with it was the use of the music that has become synonymous with This Is England.

SuPerNoVi

My only gripe with it was the use of the music that has become synonymous with This Is England.

Ludovico Einaudi has been used in many things, TV adverts and the like...not just This is England. He's a fantastic composer and I really recommend listening to "Islands - Essential Einaudi".

Halrick

Halrick

The Law

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Ludovico Einaudi has been used in many things, TV adverts and the like...not just This is England. He's a fantastic composer and I really recommend listening to "Islands - Essential Einaudi".

Fair enough, but my point is that it was a little distracting. The moment it began I was instantly reminded of This Is England's plot, wondering if/when there will be another series etc and for a moment forgot I was watching something completely different. Perhaps it wouldn't have made much of a difference if used on another channel, but in a programme on Channel 4 that's filled with references to other Channel 4 programmes it was a tad excessive.

I should add that it was only a tiny gripe.

Edited by Halrick, 14 April 2012 - 02:37 PM.

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
Anyone watched or watching Homeland?

I'm quite enjoying Game of Thrones despite there being rather a lot of plots and characters to keep up with, plus I've noticed they seem to not show any fighting, but do show lots of nudity..

Looking forward to the new Sorkin show Newsroom coming out this summer. West Wing is my favourite show ever and Studio 60 is good too. I watched Sports Night after those and it was more of the same so I have high hopes. :)

gavpowell

gavpowell

Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
I'm quite willing to accept this Derek thing wasn't as controversial as was expected, but to be honest, I'm just sick of the sight of Ricky Gervais,so I'm ignoring it.
`

Newsroom should be good, but there's already been a wonderful Canadian series called The Newsroom - brilliant absurdist comedy set in a Canadian Tv newsroom.

Edited by gavpowell, 14 April 2012 - 03:07 PM.

Ataribaby

Ataribaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I thought Derek was OK, but pretty mawkish. For me, Kerry Godliman was the actor that shone, but I much preferred Getting On for its approach to the subject of elderly care.

I totally agree about the music being distracting. Every time the music played, I couldn't help picturing Vicky McClure as Lol, lurching through a council estate away from the latest trauma inflicted by her bastard of a father.

It's like when Lord Of The Rings used the same music as Requiem For A Dream. I was so impressed by the Requiem soundtrack when it came out, that my girlfriend bought me the CD. Whenever the Clint Mansell track plays in LotR, I keep picturing Ellen Burstyn wired on happy pills, or Jennifer Connelly going "ass to ass".

Surfdude

It's like when Lord Of The Rings used the same music as Requiem For A Dream. I was so impressed by the Requiem soundtrack when it came out, that my girlfriend bought me the CD. Whenever the Clint Mansell track plays in LotR, I keep picturing Ellen Burstyn wired on happy pills, or Jennifer Connelly going "ass to ass".

"Requiem for a Tower" was only used in a trailer for The Two Towers (and many trailers since); it isn't in any of the LOTR films themselves.

Edited by Surfdude, 16 April 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Ataribaby

Ataribaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Ah, OK thanks. My mistake then. I only ever saw the first two, and that was when they came out. I must be thinking of the trailers, as you say.

grrrpoop

I'm quite enjoying Game of Thrones despite there being rather a lot of plots and characters to keep up with, plus I've noticed they seem to not show any fighting, but do show lots of nudity..

Love GoT. Got season 1 on BD as a surprise gift and it's epic. Haven't read the books yet.

Castle season 3 has been ok. I feel like it's almost time to wrap up and end the show though. Season 4 should be the last, unless Season 3 can resolve it in the few remaining eps.. The subject matter is frequently more serious and un-Castle like. I miss the light-hearted crime solving of seasons 1 and 2.

Sons of Anarchy is great, watched seasons 1-3 and it gets better and better. Gun-running biker gang drama set in North California.

Halrick

Halrick

The Law

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
Is anyone else watching Facejacker? I'm finding the new series far funnier than the last, even more so than Fonejacker. I think the move to the US was a work of genius as the Americans, having little or no knowledge of Kayvan Novak, really fall for his pranks. That said, the characters he's kept in the UK are still doing incredibly well. Ray Fakadakis is hilarious!

HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe

Loving Game of Thrones and having a rewatch of walking dead series 2 part 2 as it is still on my sky+ box.

ThorZ

Watching 30 Rock at the moment very good series. Funny just plain funny

Rinshaw

Is anyone else watching Facejacker? I'm finding the new series far funnier than the last, even more so than Fonejacker. I think the move to the US was a work of genius as the Americans, having little or no knowledge of Kayvan Novak, really fall for his pranks. That said, the characters he's kept in the UK are still doing incredibly well. Ray Fakadakis is hilarious!

Yes yes and yes.

Loved the original phonejacker and the first series of facejacker. How he keeps a straight face I will never know.

Also the icident with the large red faced "roadblock" lady at the baseball game was brilliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users