Welcome to Computers N Stuff
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Computer Crash Caused By Wireless Router?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FrozenLuffy

FrozenLuffy

Unemployed fool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Can problems with a wireless router cause a computer to crash? We've got a decorator downstairs so that means the floor and everything is covered up, including the wireless router. Since then my computer crashed (BSoD) twice whilst trying (and failing) to load up pages. I decided to play a couple of games (I installed AMD Catalyst 12.6 this morning) and they ran perfectly, no problems whatsoever.

At this point I got confused and decided to uncover the router a bit, since then I've had no crashes whilst browsing and games still work fine.

I should point out that this on my computer I recently got from Scan, so if I sound a bit freaked out then it's because I am.

burp

burp

Whoop Whoop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
if you phone Scan they will ask for the files from your PC that show why it blue screened, they can then tell you why it happened and resolve any issues for you.

I had a few blue screens lately, sent the the files and they told me to change 2 things in the bios to do with the overclock, been fine ever since.

madwedge

if you phone Scan they will ask for the files from your PC that show why it blue screened, they can then tell you why it happened and resolve any issues for you.

I had a few blue screens lately, sent the the files and they told me to change 2 things in the bios to do with the overclock, been fine ever since.

That's interesting. I take it they only offer that service with Scan built systems? So I couldn't do that since I built it myself, albeit with Scan supplied parts?

gavpowell

gavpowell

Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
No, but you could upload the minidump files and one of us could tell you, or you could do it yourself with a bit of reading :)

Nige

I installed AMD Catalyst 12.6 this morning ...

My money would be on the gfx drivers. Firefox the browser by any chance?

FrozenLuffy

FrozenLuffy

Unemployed fool

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Update - Got back this evening and switched on the computer, it then started to not load any pages up again. I then tried to close the browser but that just made the whole operating system unresponsive. I switched it off myself and went through the same process once more before I decided to remove my wireless adapter from the front USB port and switched on the computer, it booted up fine and then I stuck the adapter in one of the rear ports and things still seem to be fine again, hence this update.

My money would be on the gfx drivers. Firefox the browser by any chance?

Google Chrome.

No, but you could upload the minidump files and one of us could tell you, or you could do it yourself with a bit of reading :)

I would've done that but I ran CCleaner this afternoon and I forget to uncheck the option to delete memory dumps. I tried to get them back with system restore but that seems to have been switched off by Scan beforehand.

Final update - Decided to move some stuff around my desk and now both my wireless adapter and external hard drive are plugged into the rear usb ports. Everything seems to be running fine now. On a side note I decided to pull the adapter out of the rear port and it felt cooler than it did when I pulled it out of the front port.

Final, FINAL update - I was in the middle of a Dawn of War 2 single player session and I alt tabbed out because I needed to look up some advice for a mission that was kicking my arse. 2 seconds into Chrome and the whole thing goes unresponsive again, only this time I was able to tell windows explorer to restart itself, which it eventually did. Turns out Ad-Aware was running a scan on my external hard drive and it appeared to have stalled at a certain file. Now I don't know if this is the cause of my woes but I do remember that Ad-Aware has been shitty with the same file before. I've turned off the external hard drive scanning and set it to not scan automatically anymore and things seem to fine (AGAIN), even Chrome seems to be loading things up quicker.

Hang on, turns out installing Ad-Aware was the last thing I did last night, and given that games seem to be running fine I can't help but think it's that and not the graphics drivers.

FrozenLuffy

FrozenLuffy

Unemployed fool

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Got bored and decided to reinstall Windows, everything is fine now so this topic can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users