• Create Account

Welcome to Computers N Stuff
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sonos Music System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a Sonos music system for home. http://www.sonos.com/

For those that haven't heard of it, it is a speaker system that can hook up to your network and play songs from a computer, or direct from streaming sites (Last.fm, Spotify etc.)

At the moment I'm looking at getting the Sonos Play:3 and the Bridge. They have a bundle in Costco but I can't remember the price. Online it comes in at just about £300.

What I'm looking for is any input from those that have used the system, good/bad points, things to note etc. Any alternatives worth considering?

Ta.

grrrpoop

An alternative, if you have an iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad, might be an Airport Express. It has stereo / optical out for hooking into a sound system and acts as an AirPlay target.

Anything you can play / stream to your device will be audible.

Cost is just £79 / $99.

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
I'll have a look but at the moment I don't have any speakers or hifi system so i'd need to then look into that. :P

tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 863 posts
Hi Ben, we have Sonos at home and it's good. Works as it should and the software is simple to use.

We have all our music stored on a WD Mybookworld NAS hard drive which we stream music from, and my Dad also uses his Napster account to stream from too.

Can't say there's been any bad points for me as i'm tech-savvy. Easy set up (Even if you aren't tech-savvy). Recommended from me.

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Question: can it play songs directly from an iPhone wirlelessly or only from PC/NAS?
Similar is it possible to hook up an iPod or USB MP3 player and picks songs or is that only on the Amp version to have other sources?

grrrpoop

Question: can it play songs directly from an iPhone wirlelessly or only from PC/NAS?
Similar is it possible to hook up an iPod or USB MP3 player and picks songs or is that only on the Amp version to have other sources?

You can "control" the Play:3 wirelessly using free iOS / Android apps but to stream music you need to hook up a.. *drumroll* ..Airport Express :D

Either that or their wireless iPod (iphone?) docks, which are sold separately (cost more than the Airport though). Seems that the Play:3 lacks a line-in socket, you'll need the Play:5 for that.

So a Play:3 with the wireless dock or a Play:5 with Airport Express seem the ways to go.

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
So after flirting this thought, since, well, July... I finally bought the Bridge and Play:3 from Costco yesterday. It was about £260, where they're about £250 and £35 separate online.

It was a bit of a hassle to get setup, well initially anyway. It should be simple, plug in the Bridge to router and push the buttons to sync with PC, but it wouldn't pick it up. Tried same with the speaker. Loads of searching online, in the end I went to bed. This morning I followed one person's advice to power down my network, and restart it. Router -> Sonos Bridge -> PC. It was then detected and same with the Speaker.

The Bridge plugs in to the router and acts as a wireless access point I guess, the speakers can then be placed anywhere within wireless range and just need a power source. So they can be moved to other rooms and whatnot while the music is streamed over wifi.

After that I was able to get the software to point to my music library, which at the moment is on one PC split in folders, but it can also pickup from a NAS or such.

From there it has been a breeze. Got the Sonos Apps on my iPhone and iPad, I can see the Nexus 7 being the main controller though specially when friends are round.

It tags its library in a strange way which doesn't go with what I have setup with Winamp and iTunes for my music so it might mean re-tagging a bunch of Albums and Tracks. Also it doesn't play too well with iTunes natively, you just have to point it to your entire iTunes folder so it can pickup .xml playlist files and various things so the Music Library looks really messy at the moment. I need to create some playlists then it should be ok.

Overall I'm impressed with the ease and usability so far, I am thinking to get an Airport Express as mentioned by grrrpoop to make it easier to access my iPhone (iPod) and iTunes, specially when friends come around too to play direct from their devices. The dock is being discontinued as of this month due to Apple changing the port with no plan to replace it, if I spot one cheap I might get one but I think wireless would be best.

I only have the one Play:3 speaker so far but I want more already. Not good when they're £250 a pop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users