Welcome to Computers N Stuff
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Board & Card Games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
Holla!

So today I though, I have a load of old games at home I used go enjoy playing, I wonder if I should play more non-computer based games.
I've also been hearing a lot about games I've never played from other people that enjoy computer games etc.

My friends are up for it so I'm on the hunt for a few games to get started, these are:
- Pandemic
- Cards Against Humanity
- Settlers of Catan

Does anyone play board games? I have the usual classics of Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit etc but want to try things a bit more obscure.

I'm really itching to get my copy of HeroQuest out again though. :P

Shogun

Shogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
We used to play a game called Movie Maker, was my parents.

Basics are you have a board, roll dice, collect different cards and making movies from the cards. You get actors, actresses, director, genre, etc and then i cant remember the rest, but it was good fun :P

Monopoly is always fun with a few drinks and banter :)

Bald_Beauty

Bald_Beauty

Destroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Stop fucking about and get Talisman. I got it for Christmas from my sister as she remembered that I used to play it as a sullen pre-teenager, and I'm so glad she did. We play it all the time, and more so when we have guests. Looking at as a semi-retired gamer, it's just like Oblivion or Fallout in terms of it's RPG-ness, it even has an xp system (that I totally didn't use as a child).

And you can get an expansion pack that involves dragons, thus making it like Skyrim too. Sorry about the cheese.

Settlers of Catan is excellent, and I've heard nothing but good things about Carcassion, but I've not played it.

The advantage over 'computer gaming' is that it is always in groups of living people, invariably your friends, and usually drink. Time with friends playing games in the same room beats solitary online, no matter how good your mic/headphone set is.

FrozenLuffy

FrozenLuffy

Unemployed fool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Monopoly is always fun with a few drinks and banter :)

Whatever you do, DO NOT play it sober, you'll just end up hating each other.

Sobtanian

Sobtanian

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,975 posts
Oh yes, I play board games regularly.

If you haven't bought Pandemic yet, can I urge you to NOT get it, and instead get Forbidden Island. It's made by the same creator, and is much simpler and extremely thrilling to play.

It has a brilliant game mechanic where the island (board) starts sinking as you play, making each game a massive adrenalin-fuelled race against the rising sea.

It's so much better than Pandemic IMO. Try it on iPad first if you wanted ;)

bsoltan

bsoltan

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
While I would like to play Talisman, it looks a little too beardy for my friends. :D

Not all of my friends are in to games, and most of them not as much as myself. Often we'll get together but just end up watching shit on TV so thought I would try something different. Most of them seem up for it which is good, now I just need to source some games.

Coelicolour

Coelicolour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
I used to play a lot of board and card games with my friends when I lived at my folks, and still do when I'm back to visit.

My friends are up for it so I'm on the hunt for a few games to get started, these are:
- Pandemic
- Cards Against Humanity
- Settlers of Catan

Does anyone play board games? I have the usual classics of Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit etc but want to try things a bit more obscure.

I'm really itching to get my copy of HeroQuest out again though. :P

Pandemic and Settlers of Catan I've heard good things about, not heard of Cards against Humanity though.

Stop fucking about and get Talisman. I got it for Christmas from my sister as she remembered that I used to play it as a sullen pre-teenager, and I'm so glad she did. We play it all the time, and more so when we have guests. Looking at as a semi-retired gamer, it's just like Oblivion or Fallout in terms of it's RPG-ness, it even has an xp system (that I totally didn't use as a child).

And you can get an expansion pack that involves dragons, thus making it like Skyrim too. Sorry about the cheese.

Settlers of Catan is excellent, and I've heard nothing but good things about Carcassion, but I've not played it.

The advantage over 'computer gaming' is that it is always in groups of living people, invariably your friends, and usually drink. Time with friends playing games in the same room beats solitary online, no matter how good your mic/headphone set is.

I think you mean Carcassonne, which is great.

I would recommend Formula D, Power Grid, La Havre, and Game of Thrones (Both card and board)

Formula D (2 to 10 players) - You can play with Formula 1 style or street racing cars. I would recommend the Formula 1 to start with to used to the rules, but this is one of my favourite games. You can expand this with new tracks as well to start a league or championship with your friends.

Power Grid - (2-6) - You bid on power plants and then try to power cities with them using resources that you have bought. this will then give you income, which you use to bid on better power plants so that you can power more cities.

Le Havre (1-5 Players) - A great resource game where you never have enough turns or men to do what you want to do. Basically you collect resources to either build buildings or feed your workers. Buildings give you victory points but you won't be able to build them without workers!

Game of Thrones (3-6 Players) - Based on the books, you vie for control of the Iron Throne through diplomacy or warfare.

Sobtanian

Sobtanian

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,975 posts
By the way, almost any game made by Reiner Knizia (German mathematician turned game designer) is well worth playing. He creates games that have simple but brilliant mechanics.

He has a fantastic entry-level card game called Lost Cities, which is not complicated but huge fun.

As for sourcing, amazon sells all popular board games ;)

Nige

I used to collect board games and still have quite a good collection of games that aren't avaialble any more.
I used to trawl charity shops for cheap but quirky games. One can often pick up brand new, unplayed games that are no longer produced.

+1 for anything by Reiner Knizia. He did The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I also have one from way back called something like Merchant. Very, very clever games, beatifully produced and with unique gaming mechanics.

If you can find it 'Ocean Trader' is/was a good all round family game, and of course Sid Meir's Pirates started life as a board game (mucho collectible nowadays).

For a fun, play with mates game I would suggest 'The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game'. Amazon still has it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users