• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Android Thread

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
My wife has a Moto G and she never complains about it - which is as good as any 5 star review you can get.

We also have a spare one (with cracked screen) which we use as a back up phone, I had it for a couple of days last week while my number got ported from T-Mobile to Virgin to EE as believe it or not you can't get a PAC code to go from a T-Mobile contract to EE contract. I found it quite a decent phone and certainly worth the asking price, didn't use it too much so can't comment on battery life etc.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
They do it no problem if you upgrade internally but as I started a separate new contract with EE you can't use a PAC code from T-Mobile to EE as they are the same company. Had to transfer number to a spare PAYG sim then transfer from that to EE, crazy.

Pooeypants

Citizen Kabuto
Aug 29, 2011
Cambridge
Those that keep up with Android, is the Moto G still the best phone for around £100?

Asking for a friend, just wants something on PAYG, currently looking at SIM Free but could buy it locked.

There seems to be a 2nd Gen and a 4G version but I'm not 100% sure which is the one to go with.

There also seems to have been a new 4G version released Jan 2015 so I'm not sure how to tell them apart from the 2014 version.
The soon to be launched 4G version of the 2014 model should be identical except for the extra radio chip. To be honest, aside from the slightly bigger screen (4.5 to 5) and slightly better camera (5 to 8MP) the 2013 and 2014 models very much the same. However, you have to bear in mind that the pre 4G versions of the 2013 doesn't have a microsd slot.

At any rate, for the price you'll be pushed to find a better alternative.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Loving how Samsung have gone the Apple route of having fixed storage in the new Galaxy S6. No more memory card slot!

Also no removable battery!

Last edited by a moderator:

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I hate this push to cloud and fixed storage.....  

The dominance of Samsung and Apple is becoming a bit boring if I'm honest and android is becoming less open (ref: move to apps only being installed onto physical storage and not SD cards)

Pooeypants

Citizen Kabuto
Aug 29, 2011
Cambridge
Loving how Samsung have gone the Apple route of having fixed storage in the new Galaxy S6. No more memory card slot!

Well if it lowers costs but they can sell the same or more phone then why not? Apple has defined how you can make a product more successful by taking AWAY options but present it as a positive. Like having only one port on the new Macbook... all you need is an adapter and it'll solve your lack of ports. Here, let me show you the prices and variety of adapters...

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
Because people like sd slots and being able to replace a battery...its why HTC re-introduced sd slots on the m8...they actually listened to their customers.

Johnn88uk

Mar 11, 2013
Nottinghamshire

Why would you be loving it! It sounds like a bad thing to me.

I had a S2 and currently an S4, but no SD, no Samsung next time.

(I assume some phones still do have SD cards!)

BR

JN

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Just letting you chaps know. ;-)

Plus there isn't an "Anything goes" Android thread.

Incidentally, Thorz has very kindly lent me his Nexus 7 1st generation to trial out as a baby monitor. It's actually not too bad to use. The main menu is a little bloated with unnecessaries, but it's quick and smooth.

Nothing compared to my iPad mind you...

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
I thought I'd put this here since most of these appear to be running Android. A very interesting article:

You know the major players in the smartphone game: the best mobile phones in the world today are made up of all the big names from Apple to HTC, Samsung to LG and beyond.

But what about those smartphones not popular in the Western markets? Just because a handset isn't popular here, doesn't mean its not one of the best. Some mobile phones are just a little misunderstood.
Take the first phone for example, the THL 5000. Very impressive specs!  5 Inch 1080p IPS screen, 2GHz 8 Core Processor, 13MP Camera and a massive 5000mAh battery!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/the-best-smartphones-you-ve-probably-never-heard-of-1289976

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
I've got a Galaxy Nexus and the battery is really starting to degrade now, wheres the best place to find a replacement?

I'd like a higher capacity one if possible, but i'd rather not get a really cheap one that's filled with sawdust and rat poison if you know what i mean!