• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Android Thread

Pooeypants

Citizen Kabuto
Aug 29, 2011
Cambridge
I've got a Galaxy Nexus and the battery is really starting to degrade now, wheres the best place to find a replacement?

I'd like a higher capacity one if possible, but i'd rather not get a really cheap one that's filled with sawdust and rat poison if you know what i mean!
It's been a week so how did you do? Are you sure you don't fancy a proper upgrade? Even about £150 will get you something (not just the Moto G)?

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
I remember seeing larger Gnex batteries on Amazon years ago but they weren't exactly official. They had twice the capacity of a normal battery but looked like two regular batteries stuck together and came with a curved plastic cover for the back of the phone to accommodate the larger size. Might be worth looking into that if a new handset really isn't on the horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
It's been a week so how did you do? Are you sure you don't fancy a proper upgrade? Even about £150 will get you something (not just the Moto G)?
I'd rather no upgrade at this time as the GNex is perfectly fine for everything i need, and after i format it to get rid of all the rubbish on it it will be even better :) It's just a shame it's only 3G though :(

It suits me to have an older phone anyway as i'm a contractor working on hazardous sites with lots of nice sharp/hard objects and high places for it to fall and die :p  

I remember seeing larger Gnex batteries on Amazon years ago but they weren't exactly official. They had twice the capacity of a normal battery but looked like two regular batteries stuck together and came with a curved plastic cover for the back of the phone to accommodate the larger size. Might be worth looking into that if a new handset really isn't on the horizon.
Yeah i saw these on eBay (4000mAh batteries) but decided against them as this would mean i can't have a case on it :/

Managed to find one that was 2700mAh at the last minuet on eBay, rather than the standard 1700mAh Samsung battery. Just in the process of charging it and deadening it for a few times to make sure it will actually last a decent amount of time :)  

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I'd rather no upgrade at this time as the GNex is perfectly fine for everything i need, and after i format it to get rid of all the rubbish on it it will be even better :) It's just a shame it's only 3G though :(

It suits me to have an older phone anyway as i'm a contractor working on hazardous sites with lots of nice sharp/hard objects and high places for it to fall and die :p

Yeah i saw these on eBay (4000mAh batteries) but decided against them as this would mean i can't have a case on it :/

Managed to find one that was 2700mAh at the last minuet on eBay, rather than the standard 1700mAh Samsung battery. Just in the process of charging it and deadening it for a few times to make sure it will actually last a decent amount of time :)
You know you're not supposed to let some of these newer batteries die?

The battery in my Nexus specifically says not to do it, if it dies it dies but you don't need to "train it" it's actually detrimental to it's charge. I'd check this first.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Yeah, having to fully charge a battery and completely dead it is old technology. Ni-Cad I believe.

The newer Lithium-Ion or even Lithium-Polymer batteries used in smartphones today don't diminish in performance when it isn't completely drained between charges.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
The Macbook is one where for better battery life it is recommended to not drop below like 20% if at all possible. Draining it and charging to full essentially reduces the capacity. It's not like it has a dramatic effect if you run it dead one day by accident but it's the best way to keep your battery healthy.

I also read that keeping it at 100% i.e plugged in all the time also had a negative effect, better to use the battery a bit before charging to 100%. I'm not sure how true that is though, read it on some Mac forum.

If anyone is interested the Macbook gives you pretty detailed battery info and you can see a difference in capacity between X charges (or cycles) from these reports:

Code:
Charge Information:
  Charge Remaining (mAh): 3540
  Fully Charged: No
  Charging: No
  Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6184
  Health Information:
  Cycle Count: 78
  Condition: Normal
  Battery Installed: Yes
  Amperage (mA): -538
  Voltage (mV):	11699

Charge Information:
  Charge Remaining (mAh): 3849
  Fully Charged: No
  Charging: No
  Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6444
  Health Information:
  Cycle Count: 25
  Condition: Normal
  Battery Installed: Yes
  Amperage (mA): -893
  Voltage (mV): 11509

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Oops!    :wacko:

Samsung's default keyboard on its smartphones has a vulnerability which can be exploited by hackers to snoop around your phone.

Researches from NowSecure found hackers could potentially access the phone's camera, read text messages, install apps and use the microphone to listen to what you're up to.

It all sounds a bit creepy, and it's down to a flaw in the Samsung IME keyboard, which is installed on every Galaxy smartphone - the main component of which is supplied by third party keyboard maker SwiftKey.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/if-you-re-using-wi-fi-your-samsung-phone-could-be-hacked-1297050

Surfdude

Aug 27, 2011
London
My Galaxy S4 updated to 5.0.1 a couple of weeks ago and it's not done it any good. It's slower, less convenient and the battery lasts half as long. For some reason it's also incredibly quiet; all the volume sliders are at maximum but I can't hear the ring or notification sound unless it's right next to my ear. :(

Edit: Just realised why it's so quiet, the sound is coming from the earpiece rather than the speaker on the rear. Anyone know if there's a setting to change this, I can't see anything obvious?

Edit 2: Okay, nevermind. A restart fixed the weird sound issue.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Android friends. My mum was complaining about her battery life on her Galaxy S3 so I've been looking at certain settings, such as email Push settings etc. 

In the Battery settings screen where it gives percentages for what apps are using battery wise, the "Screen" option is at 89%. Does this sound normal? I've tried googling it and other pictures I've seen of other phones have this at under 50%. I've turned the brightness right down too but doesn't seem to affect it. 

Any ideas? Thanks. 

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
Android friends. My mum was complaining about her battery life on her Galaxy S3 so I've been looking at certain settings, such as email Push settings etc. 

In the Battery settings screen where it gives percentages for what apps are using battery wise, the "Screen" option is at 89%. Does this sound normal? I've tried googling it and other pictures I've seen of other phones have this at under 50%. I've turned the brightness right down too but doesn't seem to affect it. 

Any ideas? Thanks. 
Hmmm 89% sounds very high. Just looked at my S5 and it's 2% since last full charge. 

Quick question - is your mum experiencing this following an update? Similair to surfdude? If so I had the same problem on my S5 - the battery wouldn't last a day where previously it would last a few. The only solution I found to this was a full format and re-install. 

On another android note - those of you looking for tablets:

The Galaxy Tab S2 is reportedly imminent:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/18/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-leak/

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex

Hmmm 89% sounds very high. Just looked at my S5 and it's 2% since last full charge. 

Quick question - is your mum experiencing this following an update? Similair to surfdude? If so I had the same problem on my S5 - the battery wouldn't last a day where previously it would last a few. The only solution I found to this was a full format and re-install. 

As far as I'm aware she's never updated her phone since she got it! It's only recently started doing this. She's ordered a replacement battery to see it that helps. All she literally uses it for is calls, text, emails and Facebook. Plus the odd picture. 

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK

As far as I'm aware she's never updated her phone since she got it! It's only recently started doing this. She's ordered a replacement battery to see it that helps. All she literally uses it for is calls, text, emails and Facebook. Plus the odd picture. 
Is anything running in the background if you put on Android Task killer? 

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
The tab S2 doesn't seem to be getting much good press at the moment.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good android tablet ideally with 32GB internal storage and an mSD card slot and around 8inch+ screen? I really want to get the original tab S 8.4 but i can only ever find it with 16GB internal in the UK.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
The tab S2 doesn't seem to be getting much good press at the moment.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good android tablet ideally with 32GB internal storage and an mSD card slot and around 8inch+ screen? I really want to get the original tab S 8.4 but i can only ever find it with 16GB internal in the UK.
Why would you not get a Nexus device? I wouldn't even consider anything else.

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I had a 7 and loved it but the 9 is flawed. For a start it doesn't meet my criteria for extra space (only 32GB internal). Other reviews seem to highlight the battery (performance and how long to charge up), the build quality and that there are some minor performance issues. 

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Stock Android all day every day!

I have a Nexus 7, barely use it but I wouldn't want a bigger tablet the size is about right.

I also don't understand why you need more storage? You can't watch all your movies in one sitting, just manage your files. I still haven't filled my 16GB Nexus 5 since I've owned it.

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
The storage is because I have a combination of a lot of work, ebooks (work related) and magazines as well as some big hitting games with high installation sizes (1GB +). I want to be able to store the ebooks on the mSD and use the local storage for apps (as android no longer allows you to put them on an sd card). 

This is without even getting on to music / video and my 32GB nexus 7 was constantly maxed out and I got fed up of having to manage it. 

Ideally i'm looking for an 8-9 inch so that movies / video isn't too small. I'm starting to think I might have to get a bigger one and opt for the Z4. 

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I guess it depends what devices you already have.

I have a 13" Macbook Retina so I use that for most stuff and it's light and portable enough I take it in my bag easily enough. The tablet I bought prior to owning a laptop so at the time I used it a lot more. In general I don't find Android to be that good for multi tasking, any mobile based OS for that matter so a laptop is just better in almost every situation.

I've also got my phone which is 5" so useful for quick glances at twitter, messaging or a bit of online shopping without having to get the laptop out.

For a serious session though I'm usually sitting at my PC :)

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I currently have an ipad 2 (old one we use to take away) as I sold my Nexus 7. I have an ultrabook and desktop pcs plus an S5. 

I'm thinking of sticking with android as I have invested so much into it at present, and I actually prefer it to ios for a portable device. 

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
So my son's tablet memory was almost full and couldn't get it to update anything even after removing several apps. After a bit of digging around on Google I found an app called 'Clean Master'.  Installed it and it found 8.5gb of useless stuff that could be removed and now the tablet is updating fine and seems to be running a bit quicker as well.  I haven't had a look at all the featues of the app but I can't fault its cleaning ability and it's free.