• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Android Thread

dummkopf

Oct 26, 2011
I don't understand how a touch keyboard can be better? I just need to type stuff on it?

minamoto

Its mister to you.
Aug 27, 2011
I recently updated the firmware on my HTX One X and not sure why, but it made the keyboard / auto correct go totally fucked up.

Thankfully I just took a punt on that Swiftkey 3 app, it's so much better.

Also, I didn't realise I could just charge it to my Vodafone account, saves dicking around with card details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
After my posts in the Apple thread, (and testing out both the Iphone 5 and Galaxy S3) and much deliberation - I can confirm that I now have a shiny new S3 in my hands!

Now that I have made the crossover, can any of you kind souls point me in the right direction in terms of essential apps / settings / things to do for an android newby like myself.

I have taken it upon myself to install avast as a matter of course, and am just playing about with the phone in general - man is there a lot to take in!

Reactions: Halrick

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
JuiceDefender Ultimate and Advanced Task Killer Pro are a must :)

Oh, and *ehem*...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Reactions: Rinshaw

Fall Guy

Golden Key to My Heart
Aug 25, 2011
Leigh Lancs
My boss has just jumped from a 4 to the S3 after much deliberation. It's not the phone more the stinking pile of excrement that is iTunes that forced him away.

Lookout is a good AV and it has phone finder and remote wipe options.

Beautiful Widgets

Chrome

Dropbox has 50Gb of storage for the S3

Samsung Apps offer Polaris Office for free

Hidden eye will take a picture of the person trying to unlock your phone (if you have pin or pattern lock) and upload it to dropbox.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Juice Defender Ultimate gets another vote from me. it's currently giving me 2.25 times my normal battery life (1 day 18hours since last full charge and 70% of battery remaining). I did try Advanced Task killer Pro as well but found that it reduced my battery life.

Rich

Aug 24, 2011
As Wedge says, it's for the autocorrect and the fact that it provides a lot of customisation options.
I believe it's more to do with it's error correction capabilities.
Autocorrect!?!?!

If it's the just autocorrect you're noticing, you're not using Swiftkey properly - it predicts your commonly used words based on what you're typing, so you can type a 140 character message in about 20 taps. The keyboard part of it borders on becoming redundant half the time!

dummkopf

Oct 26, 2011
Call me crazy, but I generally send different texts all the time... and I don't make mistakes. Ever. So I really don't see the point in it.

(I read over this message four times to make sure.)

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
Basically, it learns your style of writing as you use it, eventually allowing it to predict what you are going to say in any given situation and suggest the word before you type it.

Rich

Aug 24, 2011
Call me crazy, but I generally send different texts all the time... and I don't make mistakes. Ever. So I really don't see the point in it.

(I read over this message four times to make sure.)
You really ought to try it, it's incredibly clever. Between Swiftkey and Swype, I can't imagine having to go back to a touchscreen keyboard that was so antiquated that I actually have to type whole words out :p

dummkopf

Oct 26, 2011
Even I don't know what I am going to say next half the time.

Edit: I haven't been very impressed with the apps offered so far in this 25 billion sale. When they did the 10 billion sale, I bought 3 apps...

However, there is one on today called HD Widgets - I don't know how this compares to Beautiful Widgets mentioned above.

Rich

Aug 24, 2011
TBH I always thought HD widgets looked shit really.

Flick Golf is ok, Amazing Alex is ok, not been much so far that i've really a desperate urge to buy though.

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
Just bought TuneIn Radio Pro as none of my devices have a built-in radio. Since abandoning my Wildfire for a Nexus I've missed having access to the radio on the go.

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
Are there generally separate Apps for Tablets and Phones in the Google Play store? I couldn't see anything on the About column where it mentions devices.

I can see on the SwiftKey page that they offer a Tablet version separate (and not reduced) but wondering for other Apps too.

I'm hoping to get a Nexus 7 soon so was thinking of making a few purchases while things are on sale but not if they're going to be for phones only.

Ta.

Rich

Aug 24, 2011
I don't think that's generally the case - I think SwiftKey are just attempting to be a bit greedy frankly

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
^This. Most apps work on both tablets and phones. You may get a compatibility warning but that can generally be ignored. As long as it works with your particular version of Android you'll be fine.