• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Battlefield 1

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I just think the detail is naturally lower. Massive maps, 64 players, all take its toll. It's disappointing but understandable. I'd say it looks no better than BF4 on MP.

The single player, assuming the trailers are not misleading (as is often the case) is on a whole other level. It's gorgeous.

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
The only graphics dip I could see was IGNs shitty video quality! Either thatbornBTs shitty internet!

Living what I'm seeing though, I hope for the flying I'll be able to use my new HOTAS, that would be perfect!

Reactions: madwedge

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Origin seems to have been completely broken by the launch of the beta for this.

For the umpteenth sodding time, EA have been taken completely by surprise and not provisioned enough resources to cope.

The game looks great - just not sure I can be arsed to put up with the usual teething problems of another Battlefield game.

I may wait for 12 months until the paid-for-beta is over....

Reactions: Shogun

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I managed to get a few rounds in on Tuesday due to insider access sign up and also yesterday afternoon as I was "working from home" my own business so I'm allowed ;)  

First impressions of the beta are that it's excellent as I posted in currently playing thread. Also no need to hit the upgrade button just yet as it runs fine for me at 1080p on a GTX 670 on High settings.

Can't work out how or why the Train appears but it's a pretty powerful beast!

As I mentioned elsewhere I think the tanks are a bit overpowered, maybe I was playing against people who'd just loaded the game up for the first time but I ended up 19-2 in one round (unheard of for me) The ability to repair from inside the tank makes it much easier.

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
Yeah tanks are a bit beastly, seemingly only being taken out by other tanks, the sniper rifle comes with "anti tank/vehicle rounds" but they only seem to do 5hp damage a shot from distance...no idea what the damage is closer up (apparently they work better close up) cause getting close up to a tank has got me killed by it every time :lol:

Sandstorm was interesting, couldnt see a damn thing, actually got completely disoriented and was marching away from the enemy when I looked at the minimap!

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Apparently, the weather effects are generated Client side, rather than server side leading to something like this:

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
Well the PC requirement specs have been releqsed and i dont believe them frankly! It is saying minimum cpu is an i5 6600k (i have one) or amd fx 6350. These two cpu are surely no where near comparable (until you start factoring in cores maybe). Anyway my rig ran the beta as smooth as you like on at least high so far as i remember. 

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
A few places around the web arr expecting (or hoping!) them to drop a 1060 at roughly the same time for less, which will still be an increase in performance from a Titan X!

I miss having a desktopPC  :(  innthe next house though!  :D
Thought of you when I was talking to the bloke on the Gigabyte stand at the trade show on Friday - it's rather pricey, but mini gaming PCs are a thing now

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6002#ov

He reckoned the price was likely to be about 8 or 900 quid, but it's notable that Cyberpower have followed with their own mini gaming PC.

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
Just got emailed my key! Shall be downloading this tonight in readiness for the release tomorrow. Cant wait to play the full thing as I did enjoy the beta.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Yep got mine earlier too and the wife is off out tomorrow night so zero interference from her :)

Had a couple of rounds on BF4 last night and got probably my best K/D ratio ever, 19/1 and was MVP by a mile. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nige

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
Key arrived today - haven't played since Battlefield 3! Looking forward to a few rounds with you lot over the weekend.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Managed to squeeze in an hour or so last night after 1100 pm unlock.

Runs really well and looks fantastic on Medium - High settings on my aging GTX 670, looking forward to seeing what it looks like when I upgrade.

I think the Amiens map could become a favourite of mine, great stuff so far.

See you all on the Battlefield!!

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
I shall be having a session tojight, providing canon fodder to anyone and everyone! Need to snag me a horse and cut some suckers down.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Had a few games of Conquest last night the last one on Fao was ridiculously one sided, the opposition got the Dreadnought but didn't do anything other than pound one position (badly) meaning the sides ended up 22 v 11 as they were quitting but not killing anyone to make the sides auto balance. I've never spawned on the Dreadnought but I'm presuming like the train it needs someone to drive it, obviously the driver wasn't particularly clued up.

Still enjoying the game massively and can't get over how good it looks and runs on my settings was gonna grab a 1060 6gb but I think I'll hang on till black friday etc deals now as no real need to upgrade just yet.

Oh and the Lewis gun suppressive model has become my AWS from BF4 :)

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Got it for Christmas.

Played an hour or so this afernoon - Campaign - then it crashed with a DirectX error.

So far, so Battlefield.

Should have stuck to my 12 month rule.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I've not had any issues but i know Andy had the Directx error on first release, thought it would have been patched out by now but obviously not.

It's worth persevering with though, had an awesome game on Operations yesterday which went right to the last stage on Sinai and we just held on to the last of the three points, great stuff :)  

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Managed a couple fo hours today after updating my gfx driver, then crashed again.

I've made some tweaks to config as per the gazillion posts on this topic online. Shall see how it goes.

[Edit] Settings tweaks did nothing. Ho hum. Will plough my way through the Campaign and see if any real fixes appear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Double post. Sorry.

Well, now I'm fucking hooked on Battlefield again!

Hot fix driver for my 770 stopped the crashing.

I bought Premium.

I could run ok on medium settings, but it irked me, and loading times were so slow. So I upgraded to a 1060 with 6GB vRAM (EVGA FTW) and now it runs rock solid on ultra preset.

I'm still shit mind, but it looks so purdy! ;)

Reactions: paulod