• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Battlefield 1

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I need to buy another ssd as mine is almost full with Windows and BF4. Sometimes playing Operations my team has already lost/won a flag when I join the game, load times are horrendous.
Transferred BF1 to my ssd using Steammover and the difference is amazing, not much room for expansions though so still need to buy another.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Triple Post!!

So the winter update has just rolled out and biggest change to gameplay thankfully is the reduction in time for Gas Grenades which are almost as annoying as snipers. 

The introduction of ribbons has given a bit more of a target to try and complete as I think the medal system is a bit flawed at present. Not sure if anything has been nerfed on my LMG of choice, the Huot Auto, or if my aim was worse than normal last night as I couldn't seem to kill anyone without prolonged bursts.

Had a Conquest 64 player round on Argonne last night, a map I usually avoid and it was fantastic, apart from my bright idea to set a mortar up on the train tracks with an Armoured Train heading towards me. Going to pick up Premium after a bit debate as I'm not a huge fan of a few of the original maps so a bit more  variety will come in useful.

Also as a follow on from above post I picked up a new SSD which is twice as fast as my old one, as HASMP states an ssd massively improves the experience .

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Anyone wanting to sample the They Shall Not Pass maps let me know and I'll add you to a party as non-premium members can now access the DLC via 'Premium Friends' or something like that.

I should be on at some point tonight - Origin id Paulod1892 

Reactions: HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Well, I hate to say it but I'm bored with BF1 now - and only 1 of the DLCs have been released.

I've been trying to analyse what it is about it that's not doing it for me. It's just not much fun (any more).

As a casual player, and I speak purely personally here - it's the equivalent of going down to the park after a few pints in the pub. Just for a knockabout with whoever happens to be there.

Who "happens to be there" are an opposing team made up of premier league players and blokes with the ball tied to their feet.

I readily admit that I'm (a) Definitely too old and too slow to be playing online shooters and (b) I don't play enough to ever get much better. However, I recently popped back into BF3 and had a great time (despite still being shit). There's just something about BF1 that's .... irksome.

The fog, the swathes of snipers (ok there's always swathes of snipers in every online FPS, but SO fucking many - and so bloody accurate across fog and smoke covered maps?), the gas grenades, the fucking aeroplanes, the tanks. I totally get that they wanted to make it as close to a WWI experience, but instant death from an invisible enemy over and over again just doesn't make it very enjoyable.

I'm hanging on to the fact that War Pigeons is still quite daft and enjoyable with a good team, but the rest, for me, is becoming tedious.

On the plus side, I've had more time to work through my back-catalogue! (that's not a euphemism).

Reactions: paulod

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
For me, BF1 suffers the same problem as Battlefront in that it lacks any real depth yet still tries to give you the impression that it has it in spades. There's just no meatiness to any of the weapons which, unlike previous entries in the series, you aren't required to invest much effort to obtain. BC2, BF3 and, to a somewhat lesser extent, BF4 benefited from a gritty feeling of all-out war and boasted genuine moments of excitement when playing with friends.

As our resident sniper ( :ph34r: ), I'll never forget the terror of battling down the slope on Valparaiso for the chance to nervously climb the stairs of the lighthouse and pin down the enemy from a window. That was real sniping. Pulling that trigger felt good. Even things like distance kills added to the experience. All in all, it was FUN. BF1 just doesn't have that same spark, sadly.

Reactions: paulod and Nige

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Ignore the above post I couldn't comment without it including a quote from Nige for some reason

I think it all depends on who you're playing with, so much so that I've bought a PS4 copy as well as my pc install as more of my friends have the game on that format. 

I agree planes are a massive pain in the arse as there are no way to seriously damage them once they have taken out the AA, LMGs damage them but it takes a lot of co-ordinated fire to bring anything down which rarely happens. Also agree with Halrick on the depth issues, very little reason to grind for weapons - having said that some of the unlocks with the first DLC are painful to acheive - love my Chauchat though :)  Battllepacks are a waste of time earning, can't believe anyone would actually purchase them.

Regarding snipers just drop a mortar on their heads, soon gets rid of the hill humpers

I'm still enjoying Operations and Frontlines though but it definitely helps to play with someone you know and can communicate with, games with randoms are too hit and miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nige