• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Battlefield V

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Open beta early access started today and I'm pleased to say it's a big improvement on the alpha.

Much easier to see other players and the Rotterdam map is excellent, played about a dozen games on there and only had one or two long range headshots. I'm still not too keen on the Narvik map, the particle effects appear to have been reduced so things are much easier to see etc but it's not going to be one of my favourite maps.

Resupplying seems very hit and miss, not sure if that's a problem of the current build or if they've changed it altogether, ammo is in very short supply when you start and unless you find a resupply crate you can easily run out. Even playing as a support I often ran out as I couldn't seem to resupply myself.

The current build also runs much better than the alpha did, my RX480 doesn't seem like it's about to keel over and die any more.

Definitely worth a look 

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
Pre loaded and ready to go for tomorrow!

I have actually started playing BF1 again recently, which has got me nicely in the mood.

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Personally, I don't like V

Played a few hours today - the new mechanics are ... OK... but didn't we see "bleed out" in MOHPA about a thousand years ago?

Still too much "spawn ... phwtt...." killed by Sniper" for my liking.

Doesn't really feel like WWII to me - A reskinned BF4 (but that may be because Auto settings are all on Medium).

Dull, really. Duller than BF1 - and I found that quite tedious.

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Went back to BF4 today for a few hours and had a whale of a time!

So much more fun than BF1 or V (albeit a  v limited experience of V)

Reactions: paulod

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
Yea,

Not the best first impression. Ran fine on ultra and look pretty good, bu the gameplay felt "off".

Hated the bleedout mechanic, and even with full serversthe maps seemed empty.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Played a few more hours over the weekend on pc and PS4.

I hate the Narvik map with a passion and the Grand Operations airborne section is awful. Still quite like the Rotterdam map but it doesn't feel big enough for a BF map, I know it's mainly infantry based but it still feels small. Did have a good round last night as I ended up in a decent squad which makes a huge difference, apart from the idiot who took the tank and camped near to A all game, racking up a huge 4 kills.

I'm definitely missing the Support Machine Gunner sub class from the Alpha which had a decent amount of ammo so you could play the support role properly, feels more like an Engineer with an LMG at the minute.

I'm absolutely hopeless using a controller, been playing with a couple of my pals who play on console all the time and they've found my K/D very amusing. It's easier to see enemies on there I just can't hit the fuckers, I tend to spray a full mag, get about 80 or so damage and then be one shotted and die :(

Collision detection on tanks seems poor, I've think I've hit someone from 10 yards away and no damage happens when it would be a certain kill on earlier games.

I've got a pre order through cdkeys which I'll probably stick with but not going to take the plunge on PS4 until price drops to around £20 and that's only because I have people to squad up with.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Went back to BF4 today for a few hours and had a whale of a time!

So much more fun than BF1 or V (albeit a  v limited experience of V)
Took your advice and had a few rounds on BF4 tonight and it was a lot more enjoyable than the recent rounds I've had on BFV and BF1. Great fun blasting around Golmud in a tank, feels like a proper Battlefield game .  

Have to say BF4>BF1>BFV at the minute

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nige

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
Don't y'all forget that you can get the Battlefield One premium pass for free this weekend, unlocking the entire selection of DLC.

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
In quest of something a bit more fun than BF has become, I started playing Day of Infamy this week.

Not quite as visually polished as BF buy takes me back to the good old days - and it's WWII themed!

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Ignore earlier post I couldn't unquote Nige's post.

Been playing the game on early access through Origin Access and it's massively improved from the beta and alpha releases.

It's much easier to see enemies and collision detection from what I've seen seems spot on, apart from tanks, they still seem to miss infantry all the time. Haven't tried all the maps or game modes yet, just been playing conquest mostly on the Devastation map which always seems to pop up first when I connect. 

Performance wise it's running perfectly fine on high on my i5 4670K and RX480 8gb 

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Tried the Combined Arms co-op missions last night solo.
Decent diversion from the multiplayer but definitely no good on your own. Thought I'd completed the Arras mission by dropping a JB2 on the last officer and several of his pals but then the extraction point got overrun by approx 3,000 germans. :mad:

If anyone sees me online and wants to complete these missions give me a shout.