• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Brexit,in or out

raamfan

Sep 11, 2011
So with the big vote coming up,which way do you swing?

I like the eu and heading for political as well as economic union is a logical next step,so i'm in.

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
The problem is that no-one really knows for certain what will happen if we leave, we just get best "guestimates" ....from people that either have a vested interest or I wouldn't trust them to guess how much they fiddled never mind what their best guess is with regard to leaving. So I guess for me because we are in and we know what it is like then I am more tempted to vote to stay in.

Until such point as they get an impartial layman's termed guide to what could happen if we leave, then I might reconsider, depending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Much as I hate allying myself with anything The Plastic Foof Cameron is campaigning for, I'll be voting in.

Given that the UK no longer has any significant manufacturing industry, and is, imho, overly reliant on imported energy, investment, food and goods It would be a retrograde step to pull out of Europe.

Separatism never did anybody any good, especially a faded imperial power which still thinks its the centre of the universe.

culps

Aug 25, 2011
London
I think we should have a vote on it as the previous vote years ago was to join a trading bloc, this is not what the EU has become today or will be in the future.

If we vote to leave, I just can't see it being that cut and dried. I get the feeling that it's like Eagles 'Hotel California' you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I think we should have a vote on it as the previous vote years ago was to join a trading bloc, this is not what the EU has become today or will be in the future.
That may have been the case when we first went in(though frankly anyone who bothered to read the Treaty of Rome would have seen immediately it was about closer integration), but by the time of the referendum in 1972/3, it was obvious what it was - it was even discussed in the pamphlets. We spent years banging on the door to get in because we were lost in the world - a disintegrating empire, financial woe and no real influence. When we finally managed to get in, we seemed to throw a strop that it wasn't all to our benefit.

I have no objection to the vote, but I have nowhere near enough of a grasp of the consequences of leaving or staying in, so how can I make an informed decision?

ThorZ

Monsters dont sleep under your bed, they sleep ins
Oct 10, 2011
London
Having to go through the "other passports" line will suck so "IN"

Fall Guy

Golden Key to My Heart
Aug 25, 2011
Leigh Lancs
From a purely selfish point of view I'm in the stay camp.

Girlfriend is Spanish and life is easier if there's less red tape involving movement between Euro countries.

( I've generally been pro-European anyway)

mus422

Sep 1, 2011
Amsterdam
Being based in the Netherlands I would rather the UK stayed in Europe, but I can understand the anti-EU sentiment. 

The real solution would be a massive overhaul and rethink of what the EU is for. It's a faceless entity with lots of power, demanding lots of money from its members and very little accountability

I'd prefer to see the UK stay and help reshape the EU from within - not that it would happen as there are too many people, in Brussels, enjoying the gravy train.

Also I'm sure I would have to go through more red tape here if the UK leaves. So on a purely selfish level I hope the UK stays.

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
Unless the EU gives the UK some very generious subisides all my peers are indicating that automotive manufacturing won't have a future in the UK. Which means I'll either be out of a job eventually, or it will move abroad.. which I wouldn't mind. :D

I don't think it is bad being in the EU, and I don't much like change, specially something as big as this so I'll be voting in.

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
I'm shitting bricks over the thought that we might vote to leave. Economically we will be FUCKED. There is likely to be a run on the pound in the event of a Leave vote - some estimates say it might devalue 20%. Given that we import a hell of a lot, that's prices on goods going up by 20%. That in turn will lead to some pretty unpalatable inflation figures, meaning that interest rates will be hiked to rein that in. Meaning everyone currently enjoying a nice cheap mortgage will be shafted. 

Some people say that devaluation of the pound will be a good thing, as it makes our exports more attractive to overseas buyers. But as Nige pointed out above, we don't HAVE a manufacturing industry any more, the factories have been knocked down, there's no skilled workforce sitting there waiting for the call - and where do we get the tools we need? What about raw materials? Those will need to be imported at a hefty premium. 

Honestly it baffles me that anyone could remotely consider leaving the EU a good idea - except an Australian-born American citizen who likes telling people and governments what to do. 

Please guys - vote remain!

Reactions: Nige

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
I was until very recently on the fence (slightly leaning towards the remain side) but having watched most of the recent debates I find myself now thinking we should leave. What swayed it for me was watching Eddie Izzard the other night. He managed to put me more off remaining in the EU, than Farage etc did to convince me to leave (if that makes sense).

And immigration is a key factor, and whilst I am by no means saying there shouldn't be any, I do believe we should at least have some measure of control.

But I'm still trying to keep an open mind.

Driver

Staff member
Aug 20, 2011
Having just finished watching Hannibal (the tv series) I now can't look at Izzard without the words 'Ate-his-own-leg-ate-his-own-leg-ate-his-own-leg' running through my head.

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
I was until very recently on the fence (slightly leaning towards the remain side) but having watched most of the recent debates I find myself now thinking we should leave. What swayed it for me was watching Eddie Izzard the other night. He managed to put me more off remaining in the EU, than Farage etc did to convince me to leave (if that makes sense).

And immigration is a key factor, and whilst I am by no means saying there shouldn't be any, I do believe we should at least have some measure of control.

But I'm still trying to keep an open mind.
Seriously, if you are uncertain, then vote Remain. We can always have another referendum in a few years. Once we're out, and economically fucked, we'll struggle to get back in. If immigration is an issue for you, it's worth remembering that over half the net migration to the UK is from OUTSIDE the EU. I read that, if the current level of immigration is sustained that it will be effectively the difference between having 34 and 35 people in a classroom - i.e barely noticeable. What you also have to bear in mind is that the problems that the Leave camp are blaming on immigration - stretched public services mainly - are less to do with immigration and more to do with the fact that we've had 6 years of austerity to try and cope with the LAST financial crisis - voluntarily causing another collapse won't help that...

EDIT: Also on immigration: Norway are outside the EU, and have a trade agreement that Vote Leave are keen to emulate. What they DON'T publicise is that this agreement was conditional on Norway joining the Schengen Zone, thereby allowing free movement of EU citizens into the country...

Reactions: Nige

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
I'm voting in, mainly because i don't like change and can't really see the benefits of leaving, but John Oliver hits the nail on the head with this video :p

Reactions: Fall Guy

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
I'm actually getting a bit worried that the only thing people are voting out of the EU for is tighter immigration controls, which it looks like it wouldn't happen as easy as they are thinking it would..."Vote Out 23rd. Build a wall 24th"  :unsure:

Anyone not be out tomorrow, what are your reasons for it if you don't mind me asking?