• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Fitness Thread

grrrpoop

Yanky Geordie Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2011
Remembered we used to have one of these on DW, where we could share tips, ask questions and generally moan about being fat and out of shape. :p

Finally got my grubby mitts on a set of PowerBlocks.

Went with the PowerBlock Sport 9.0, which goes from 5-50lbs in 2.5lb increments. Can later be expanded to 90lbs with an add-on kit. And from there to 130lbs, which I can't see happening any time soon. Already thinking about the 90lb kit for back exercises but will see how I go at 50lbs.

Pretty compact: the length of them at 50lbs is only millimeters longer than my 25lb hex dumbbells. Was also looking at Bowflex dumbbells but they're significantly longer and I'd probably clonk my head doing military presses.

To swap weight you pull a dual pin system out of the side and slot it under the desired weight plate, which is colour-coded, in seconds. It's held in place magnetically and I've not seen anyone claim it's ever failed. Tbh, I doubt both pins could fail simultaneously. To do 2.5 or 5lb increments, you need to pull out the handle and remove 2 cylindrical adder weight hidden in the handle, which takes a little longer (just timed it at 15 seconds).

Cost a smidge under $400 but they're totally worth it.

Already have 15, 20 and 25lb hex dumbell pairs. But just buying 30, 40 and 50lb hex pairs would have set me back over $300. Getting the 35 and 45 pairs would make it almost $500 (actually, with tax it would certainly be more). I'm sure I could have bought some spinlocks and gotten cheap plates off ebay for less but it wouldn't be as quick to change weights, would be bulkier, and take up a lot more space in the apartment.

Did a leg workout with them last night (dumbbell squats with 50s, lunges and one-legged squats with 30s) and got a much better workout then with the 25lb hex pairs (obviously).

Getting the column stand off Alice for Christmas, so will have something stable to keep them on at a decent height.

Been after these for years now, dead chuffed!

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
Currently my my 2 goals are as follows :-

Increase dead lift to 220Kg - I'm at 190kg at the moment.

Incease bench to 150kg for reps - Currently around the 130kg mark.

Dead lifts have been something I only started a year ago, due to my weak lower back (slipped the same disc twice a few years back) but they have been coming along steadily. Wish I had done them earlier, as they give you a real sense of achivement. They are what I call an ego boosting exercise, and seem to be a good way to put all your hard training in other areas to good use, although my back is still prone to a few spasms every now and again after a heavy set.

Bench press - I have always found to be one of my stronger areas naturally, but I seem to of hit a plateau at the moment and just can't seem to increase by much.

Does anyone else set themselves specific weight targets? I'm aiming for February to achieve the above 2 and am looking forward to hitting them.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadasdillinger

Sep 2, 2011
@ rinshaw

Just a little tip which might help you get over the bench press plateau.

Work on your rotator cuff. This really improved my one off bench press max and rep set weight after I had stagnation at around 60kgs.

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
deadasdillinger said:
@ rinshaw

Just a little tip which might help you get over the bench press plateau.

Work on your rotator cuff. This really improved my one off bench press max and rep set weight after I had stagnation at around 60kgs.
My rotator cuff is pretty good in all honesty. My shoulder are one of the few areas that don't give me pain and are quite strong.

I had some physio on my elbows last year, and I think I will start again as they are giving me grief. This combined with my desk jon wrists makes the heavier weights a bit of a pain, which I am thinking may be a a contributing element.

Thanks for the advice though, and I shall look into working the cuff a little more and see how it goes.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
New Year, new fitness regimes, no?

Tonight is the first class of a Bootcamp style program which I'm looking forward to. If I follow the guide, they claim I 'could' lose up to 14lbs (1 stone) in 28 days.

I have zero motivation when it comes to the gym, especially when I'm by myself, so being part of a class of approximately 20 people should hopefully make it more enjoyable...

...if it doesn't kill me! They're quite tough I think!

Regardless I'm looking forward to it. I get married in April so I need to shed as much weight as I can!!

Rinshaw

Aug 25, 2011
@ wedgy,

In order to loose a little weight and make sure my suit fitted me, I changed my diet slightly in the months running up to my wedding.

Basically I stopped eating bread and pasta, cut down on tea and increased water consumption.

I replaced bread and pasta with salads / potato's and in 2 weeks i lost just over a stone.

I would recommend something similar in conjunction with a decent excersise regime, as it is not a massive effort to change a few things about your diet.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Hi mate. Yeah for the past year I've cut back dramatically on the carbs with me eating bread, pasta and potatoes only on the odd occasion. I am going to cut those out completely now though. For breakfast I'm having with porridge or muesli, and then a chicken breast with veg for lunch and dinner. For the occasional snack I tend to eat some nuts.

I did my first boot camp class last night. It was tough! Don't think I've ever felt my heart beat do hard!! I'm gonna stick with it. My hamstrings and arse muscles are sore today though! Lol.

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
Well, as posted elsewhere I've been doing the NHS Choices "Couch to 5k" programme, and I'm now into week 9, the final week. The aim is to get you running for 30 minutes non-stop, for a distance of about 5k. Yesterday I did the first of three 30 minute runs. I managed to complete it without stopping or walking, and I overshot the 5k target by nearly half a kilometre.

As someone who has never run for fitness in any meaningful way, I'm pretty chuffed with that. Now I just need to work on some 30 minute playlists for next week - and whatever comes after that!

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Well, as posted elsewhere I've been doing the NHS Choices "Couch to 5k" programme, and I'm now into week 9, the final week. The aim is to get you running for 30 minutes non-stop, for a distance of about 5k. Yesterday I did the first of three 30 minute runs. I managed to complete it without stopping or walking, and I overshot the 5k target by nearly half a kilometre.

As someone who has never run for fitness in any meaningful way, I'm pretty chuffed with that. Now I just need to work on some 30 minute playlists for next week - and whatever comes after that!
Well done Andy, I'm on week 5 at the minute after choosing to start at week 3 finding it an excellent programme. I considered myself reasonably fit (for my age) but my stamina has been shite so I took this up and when I played footy on monday night I felt a huge difference.

Looking forward to completing the rest of the runs before going on hols.

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
Health news time!

I managed to get an 8k run under my belt the other day - took about 40 minutes, but I wanted to make sure I'd get round!

As well as that, I checked my pulse and blood pressure for the first time in ages - BP was 106/63 (which is a fair bit lower than it used to be), and my pulse was 48! Just call me Mo!

Woodsmaster

My cat smells of cat food
Aug 15, 2011
Southampton
Good work! I'm about to try and get this lardy body of mine from around 18 stone (I'm 6"4) to 16 or less for my wedding in February - heck, I'd love to get to about 14 stone but that's not going to be possible! I have a busted knee from cricket four years ago so I can't do running machine, but other advice would be appreciated. I think the hardest thing is going to be cutting carbs as it seems that all Rosie cooks is pasta/curry!

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
I have been watching the Hairy Bikers doing their diet programe on telly. Quite inspiring, especially last night where the dietician plonked 3 stone of lard on the table to represent what each of them had lost...bit shocking that part (not that i need to lose that much).

some of their recipes looked delicious, so will be printing them off and trying them out.

Surfdude

Aug 27, 2011
London
Good work! I'm about to try and get this lardy body of mine from around 18 stone (I'm 6"4) to 16 or less for my wedding in February - heck, I'd love to get to about 14 stone but that's not going to be possible! I have a busted knee from cricket four years ago so I can't do running machine, but other advice would be appreciated. I think the hardest thing is going to be cutting carbs as it seems that all Rosie cooks is pasta/curry!
I'm the same height and currently around the same weight too. A few years ago, when I was at uni, I went on a major diet and got down to 14 stone (which according to weight to height graphs is only slightly below "over weight") but it was way too skinny; I looked like a heroin addict and my mother tried to stage an intervention because she thought I was starving myself! In fact I was eating more food than I usually do, just healthier and lots of exercise.

I'm hoping to get my weight back down to around 16 stone again but I literally get paid to sit around and do nothing at the moment which, coupled with the fact that I don't have a proper kitchen, makes it difficult.

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
Anyone using MyFitnessPal as their calorie / exercise tracker? If so add me, same username as here.

Going to be working out some fitness routines over the next week.

Equipment includes; cross trainer, 7.5kg kettle bell, dumbells and a weight bench.

Want to get some resistance bands too when I find a decent set to buy. Are there any good sites for buying exercise stuff or just stick to amazon/eBay?

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
All this business of cutting carbs - is that truly a healthy/medically advisable way to shed the lbs, or is it just a gimmick? I am primarily carnivorous and the only vegetable I eat is the potato, so pasta, bread, meat and the like are pretty much my staple diet I'm going to try the couch to 5k thing and see how I get on, because I'd like the lose the paunch as quickly as possible.