• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Fitness Thread

Woodsmaster

My cat smells of cat food
Aug 15, 2011
Southampton
I'm trying to hit the gym again, went to my gym (it's suddenly regenerated from LA Fitness to Puregym... I miss my pool!) and promptly left myself in agony with the bicep curl machine. Somehow managed to do the lifting with my arm joint, not my bicep. Ouch.

grrrpoop

Yanky Geordie Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2011
Alice had me doing P90X3 workouts with her just after the new year.

Everything was fine until we did CVX, which is basically cardio while holding and moving a light weight.

I apparently chose too heavy a weight and totally fucked up something in my back (middle / upper).

Had to call out from work on 2 occasions after getting back spasms.

Seems ok now, just aches after a full day in my feet. Trying to take it easy but now I feel like I'm just putting on more weight..

Driver

Staff member
Aug 20, 2011
Looking for a little advice on exercising. I figured that since I've spent the last 15 years sitting on my backside in front of various screens that it was high time I got up and did something. I've started cycling a few times a week doing roughly 10-12 miles each time, I've also invested in a pull-up bar that fits in a doorway and I'm doing 5-6 pull-ups 4-5 times a day.

What I'd like to know is, is this a healthy routine and are there any other exercises I can do to compliment what I'm currently doing? I'm not looking to lose weight (I'm 1.83m and weigh 70kg, so I could probably stand to gain a little), just get into shape a bit and improve my stamina.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Cycling is fine but with pull ups I'd be inclined to do 3 sets in one hit with a little break in between. Do as much as you can then rest a few days, rather than doing a couple 4 or 5 times a day. I'm no expert though.

I did a Spin Class for the first time ever on Tuesday night. Was an absolute killer!  I couldn't set the bike to any of the levels the instructor wanted us to do! A single leaver going from resistance level 1 to 24.  After about 30 seconds I knew I was in trouble, but managed to do the 40 minute class! Thought my heart would burst through my chest!!

Driver

Staff member
Aug 20, 2011
Well that was inevitable. While pushing myself to see how many chin ups I could do in a day, I've gone and pulled something in my abdomen. I don't think it's anything serious as it's not very painful, more a discomfort I only feel when I tense my abdominal muscles. So I'm giving the chin ups a rest for a week or two, cycling doesn't agitate it, so I'm sticking with that for the time being.

Still, on the plus side I know I can do 7 chin ups at a time now rather than the measly 4 I strained to do when I started. Doesn't sound that impressive, but I have arms like pipe cleaners so any improvement is reassuring. Hopefully I can find a happy balance between pushing myself and not causing horrific injury.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Be glad you can do one chin up! ;)  

Spin Class was awful last week so didn't do it again. What I did do on Monday instead was a KettleBell class. That was more managable, but man did EVERYTHING hurt afterwards. I'm still aching now in places! At least I know it's working and I'm using muscles I haven't used in a while. Gonna be sticking with this one for a while. Hopefully can tone up some muscles and lose a bit of weight in the process. 

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
Thought I'd start posting my own sessions here, to motivate others or get some advice.

I did say before I'd try to keep the thread updated, but hadn't come up with an easy way to track what I do. The trainer hasn't been using the schedule closely so it has been hard for me to record what I've been doing at the gym. Easier when I'm on my own, in the breaks between sets I can make a note on my phone.

06/03/2016

Treadmill
5 mins @ 9
5 mins interval 10-14 (40s on 20s off)

Straight bar curls
15kg x25
15kg x15 x2

Dumbbell curls
6kg x10 x2
7kg x15

Lying Tricep Extensions
6kg x15 x2
6kg x10

Preacher/Arm curls (machine)
18kg x15
23kg x5
18kg x8

Tricep push downs
17kg x20
17kg x4, 14.7kg x4, 12.5kg x5
12.5kg x10

Rear Delt (machine)
25kg x10
32kg x10
39kg x10

Cross Trainer
10 resistance 80-90RPM 1min x2

catchamonkey

Nov 7, 2011
Sussex/Surrey

1@bsoltan[/USER] I use jefit to track what I do in the gym.

I've tried many others, and even though it's not perfect, it's the best one still that i've found.

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
Thanks! I'll check it out. I found another app called fitlist as well.

So far I've just been writing it down in Notes (iPhone).

catchamonkey

Nov 7, 2011
Sussex/Surrey
Yeah I have tried fitlist, it's got an apple watch app which is good, but functionally it's quite poor, and doesn't' have many of the exercises in it that I want.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
How long did the juice diet last?
About a month, and I did lose a little weight, but in the end I got a bit disheartened with it as I never looked into proper recipes.  Basically you can't just do all fruit, which would be delicious, because of all the sugar in it, so in the end I was mainly making Shakes using Almond Milk, a couple of scoops of protein power, Kale or Spinach, Blueberries, a Kiwi and an Avocado. Basically a proper power shake, however it wasn't the best tasting thing in the world. 

Now though I'm not really dieting, in the controlled food sense, but just eating sensibly. At work I mostly have a pot of Porridge from Pret when I get into London in the morning, and their Tuna Salad which is only 174 calories. This is enough to keep me full all day without snacking which I'm happy with. Even if the porridge was really unhealthy and 1000 calories, by the time it's dinner time I've only had just over 1000 calories. Not trying to have more than 1800 calories a day. 

The only downside is the Porridge and Salad costs me about £6.50 a day! London prices baby!

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
What are you trying to get from your diet madwedge?

I was having porridge (overnight oats - oats soaked in milk overnight then taken to work and eaten cold) but was advised by the trainer that a high carb breakfast wasn't the best thing for me, particularly having a sedetary day at the desk.

Better to have a higher fat and protein breakfast like eggs.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I've always eaten relatively small portions, I mean compared to what people around me eat I should be starving but I seem to fill up quite easily.

Problem is I've still got a bit of gut on me, which is annoying. I used to be super skinny to the point I looked ill.

A typical day consists of a yoghurt for breakfast, a sandwich/wheat crackers/wholemeal pitta for lunch and a moderate meal in the evening which I try to vary to a different thing every day but I'm quite a fussy eater. My problem is I like my sweets and biscuits too much, I'm trying to cut down on that at the moment. Also walking the dog every day feels like it is helping, I try to jog with her a bit too my ankles feel shot afterwards so I'm trying to build up to proper jogging.

A side note I'm also finding lately I can't drink as much as I used to, like one pint of cider and I'm feeling like I'm full to to the brim and it's not uncommon for a burp to feel like it bought a bit of food back up with it.

I do wonder if there is something wrong with me  :unsure:

raamfan

Sep 11, 2011
A typical day for me is "yes i'll supersize everything" ,not taking the wee-wee i also find now that i'm older i struggle with pints,so i've become a G&T man or JD and coke.Reading this back i think getting to 50 will be a miracle.