• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Good TV thread

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
I've just finished my second viewing. It hurts. It hurts so much. More upsetting than that Noah scene in The Walking Dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
This phrase is being mentioned everywhere today. I have no idea why it is.

Yet to start the latest season of GoT.

I did finish Agents of Shield last night. Seemed a bit of an anti-climax after the season but an interesting way to setup the next one.

Halrick - I started watching Shannara Chronicles, I'm not sure about it though. As you say it's a bit TV fantasy like Legends of the Seeker, which I enjoyed the first season of. I'll need to get on and finish watching it.

Nearly caught up on Walking Dead too. There has been some brutal episodes in that. T_T

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
I did finish Agents of Shield last night. Seemed a bit of an anti-climax after the season but an interesting way to setup the next one.
I caught up with that yesterday too. Watched the last 2 episodes. Really enjoyed this season. Love the usual tie-ins they do with the films etc, this time CA: Civil War. 

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
I loved the ending of Agents of Shield

I loved how it ended with both Hive and Linken in the space ship on equal terms with no reason to fight each other anymore, just talking and ready to go.

I, like many others, am glad that the Hive/Grant Ward character has finally gone, I think he stayed a little too long in the series.

And the set up for the new series was excellent! LMDs, Coulson not the director anymore (Who could it be? Maybe Nick Fury is back?) And Sky is a sort of anti-hero with her proper name of Quake!  :D

Can not wait!

Reactions: madwedge

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Yeah exactly as you said. The ending with Lincoln and Hive. Just resigned that they're gonna die so don't fight any more. 

I also like how they keep you guess who it's going to be in Space from Daisy's vision. Mac who had the cross necklace first from Yo-Yo, then Fitz put the jacket on with the Shield logo on the arm, and picked up the necklace on a chair, then he gives the jacket to Daisy when she's cold and going through withdrawal from Hive etc. 

I kinda liked Ward's character though. For me it's a shame he's finally gone. I quite liked him throughout Season 2 and the first half of 3. 

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Agents of Shield, just completely did a 180, season 1 is like a completely different show. Piss poor in comparison to 2 and 3. I was on the verge of dropping it but glad I didn't now.

I also liked Hive, weird because I was sick of seeing Grant Ward! Crazy what a black "Neo" trench coat and change of voice tone can do.

The only thing I didn't like was the ambiguous sneak peak or whatever you want to call it. I can't understand why Daisy has left shield, just because Lincoln died. Plus talk about a slow reaction from the team in apprehending her. It serves a purpose I guess, but I'd sooner have not seen it until Season 4.
Watched Preacher last night, seems really good so far. Definitely recommended.

It's an AMC program if that represents a seal of quality with you. Waking Dead, Into the badlands both really good and also AMC.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I was really impressed with that scene - not sure why people were crying about it though? - but it was a great payoff when you realised what it meant
I suppose because people feel for particular characters so when anything happens to them it's slightly upsetting. I didn't cry about it either, and I'm a big softie :D

mus422

Sep 1, 2011
Amsterdam
I found the scene between

Jorah and Daenerys
more touching to be honest - but then we all

want them to hook but its never going to happen for poor old Jorah

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Considering the flak I got in the film thread for spoilers, kinda funny to have to fix that :D
I didn't say anything about what happened I just did an unhappy face. Not sure you can compare the two tbh.

People before me gave WAAAAAAAAAAY more away and they are still not in spoiler tags :|

culps

Aug 25, 2011
London
Watched the new Top Gear yesterday, maybe the show was getting a bit samey, but Chris Evans is seriously annoying. Why did he have to shout all his lines, bully the audience in to cheering nothing and say everything was brilliant or amazing every few minutes?

Thought Matt LeBlanc came over ok but Evans made me grind my teeth just looking at him.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Watched the new Top Gear yesterday, maybe the show was getting a bit samey, but Chris Evans is seriously annoying. Why did he have to shout all his lines, bully the audience in to cheering nothing and say everything was brilliant or amazing every few minutes?

Thought Matt LeBlanc came over ok but Evans made me grind my teeth just looking at him.
I felt the opposite. Le Blanc felt really forced and Chris was more natural. The segment with the Jeeps Le Blanc was okay in but the rest were not so good.

All in all, I didn't enjoy it. It all came across as obviously staged whereas the old cast somehow managed to hide that a lot better.

I was also a bit confused, 2 presenters? I thought there were going to be 6 or something and a female?

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I was also a bit confused, 2 presenters? I thought there were going to be 6 or something and a female?
They've obviously decided viewers can't cope with too much at once, best to introduce gradual changes per episode. Of course, it'll probably be cancelled by then..

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
They've obviously decided viewers can't cope with too much at once, best to introduce gradual changes per episode. Of course, it'll probably be cancelled by then..
I'm not sure it was 100% confirmed that the others were presenters though so maybe it is just Le Blanc and Evans?

I don't know, there seems to be a lot of hate towards Evans but I felt Le Blanc was much worse. Not to say Le Blanc didn't show promise, because he did.

I just can't get over how staged it all felt, obviously it is staged but it shouldn't be so overwhelmingly obvious.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure it was 100% confirmed that the others were presenters though so maybe it is just Le Blanc and Evans?
Nah, there are half a dozen - apparently two of them were presenting some Top Gear Extra type thing on Sunday, but presumably wuill be phased in over time. Sabine Schmitz was in it I think?

I only skipped through it on iplayer - I would have ignored it completely as Evans irritates me, but I read how similar it all was and was curious how someone else would do Clarkson and Hammond's schtick. Badly and shoutily was the answer.

Didn't see enough of LeBlanc to judge, but he seemed to be playing second fiddle a bit.

To be honest, since I don't care about cars, I only ever watched for the challenge sequences, and once I realised they were obviously being scripted, I lost interest a fair bit.

Driver

Staff member
Aug 20, 2011
I got round to watching the first episode of the new TG last night, didn't make it halfway through. As others said above, it was shouty, obviously copied and just not very good. I rather like Evans back when he was presenting the Big Breakfast (that'll date me) but now he's just annoying. It lacked the friendly banter Clarkson & co had, but to be fair that was something they built up over a number of series. If it's still going in a couple of years time I might try again,but I didn't see anything that made me want to keep watching, and plenty that made me want to stop.