• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Questions (which-do-not-deserve-their-own-thread) Thread

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
My 8 year old has just asked me 'In the DC world if Manbat took over the Batcave would it still be the Batcave or the Mancave?'

Reactions: Nige

burp

Whoop Whoop
Aug 20, 2011
I bought the new iphone this week as they were offering a zero interest loan to pay it off. £69 up front, £46.50 a month for 20 months, through Barclays.

How are Barclays making any money from this? Are Apple paying them a fee or are they just mopping up money on interest from the people that default?

Obviously loaning out this amount will actually cost them, as they won't get the interest on the money.

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
I bought the new iphone this week as they were offering a zero interest loan to pay it off. £69 up front, £46.50 a month for 20 months, through Barclays.

How are Barclays making any money from this? Are Apple paying them a fee or are they just mopping up money on interest from the people that default?

Obviously loaning out this amount will actually cost them, as they won't get the interest on the money.
I believe the profit for the bank comes from defaulters. It won't actually cost them anything overall  because otherwise they wouldn't do it. They may 'lose' if someone pays it off but I should imagine a 'healthy' number of punters will struggle to repay the full amount in the time given. I presume the interest rate racks up after month 21 and, probably, all deferred interest is then added to the loan?

They may also be getting a fee from Apple, but zero percent interest loans do make money.

Reactions: burp

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Going to buy my 12 year old son a laptop for christmas for him to do his school work on.  Looking to spend around £400.  Should I go for an Intel i3 or AMD Ryzen 3?

Cheers.

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Going to buy my 12 year old son a laptop for christmas for him to do his school work on.  Looking to spend around £400.  Should I go for an Intel i3 or AMD Ryzen 3?

Cheers.
On paper the RYZEN 3 will be cheaper and better across most if not all variants.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-7100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/3891vsm441832

Given that my AMD experience is (a) very limited and (b) not very recent I would suggest looking at the other components to get a balanced view of what to go for. If 'schoolwork' means PowerPoint, Word and Excel as well as some online stuff, then I should imagine irl there'd be little discernable difference between the 2 processors tbh.

Reactions: djmagnifique

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Is your son lilely to be trotting round with the laptop, as opposed to doing homework at home, with it plugged in?

If it's the latter then the AMD is still going to be the best option.

There looks to be very little in it between the 2 Intel i5 and i3, but the i5 is still in budget!

Again, it's purpose that determines fitness.

(Edit) Go for the Optane one, unless others chip in (NPI) with bad experiences of it: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2018/sep/27/should-i-buy-a-pc-with-intel-optane-drive-acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: djmagnifique

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Mice find with that article, it was quite useful.

I'm also leaning towards the i5 as well unless anyone else has any sugestions.

Reactions: Nige

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Would it be worth my time and effort putting a ssd in my netbook? It's an old Samsung n130 that only gets used now and again, takes about 10 minutes to boot up and usually has to do updates for 30-60 minutes every time its turned on. It only gets used for watching videos and recording dj mixes (when I have the time to do then). The original HD is 160gb and I don't want to spend too much on a new drive so I'll probably be looking at a 120gb ssd, dj mixes are copied off the netbook and edited/mastered on my main pc then deleted from the netbook.

Cheers
DJM

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
The problem isn't really the HDD so much as the Intel Atom CPU...it's awful! :D I remember when I bought one, it was shite!

I'd save the money on the SSD and put it towards a second-hand i5 laptop (or i3 at least)

This one comes with a 128GB SSD/ i5 4th Gen/4GB RAM for £150 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-12-5-HP-EliteBook-820-G1-Core-i5-4th-Gen-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows/192783873595

You might be able to plop the old Samsung RAM into this one and up it to 8GB, or look on CEX and grab some cheap RAM as I did for a few quid :D

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
I did think about getting a better one but don't really have the spare cash at the moment so was looking at the cheaper option. Also not too keen on used laptops unless I know it's been well looked after.

Might see what I can get in a few months, maybe drop a few hints to the wife for my birthday in March.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
I'm taking the family to London in a couple of weeks for a few days, we will be using the tube to travel form Chiswick to St Pauls and Victoria (in that order) then from Victoria to Chiswick. Can anyone help me or point me to a site that tells me the best/easiest way to buy tickets and what type of tickets I need. Last time I was in London was when I was about 6 years old so I haven't a clue.

Cheers.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I'm taking the family to London in a couple of weeks for a few days, we will be using the tube to travel form Chiswick to St Pauls and Victoria (in that order) then from Victoria to Chiswick. Can anyone help me or point me to a site that tells me the best/easiest way to buy tickets and what type of tickets I need. Last time I was in London was when I was about 6 years old so I haven't a clue.

Cheers.
I visit London quite often for football and I find by far the easiest/ cheapest way round is to use a contactless card as you go through the barriers, TFL then just charge you the appropriate amount for whatever journeys you make and cap it at the maximum daily charge so you never pay too much.
Not sure how you'd go about it with the rest of the family though. Have a look on TFL website

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah I second Contactless, I was working down there for 4/5 months and it was only the last month that we started using Contactless and it's so much cheaper

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Cheers. I've been looking at the TFL website (and a few others). Am I correct in thinking that we don't need to set up an account to use contactless, I can use a 2nd credit/debit card to pay for my 12 year olds travel and that my 9 year old travels for free if me or my wife use contactless?

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Yep you don't need an account, just tap in and out at the end of each journey and yes just use a card per person.
Not sure on the free travel thing as we always use the unmanned barriers so your nine year old would have to jump through the barriers - seen it done by people a lot older than 9 :)

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Children under 10 should be taken through the bigger gates that they have at every station.
Sometimes staff need to open them and you walk through and validate the adult card.

Trying to squeeze children through the regular gates can cause injury and is bloody annoying for regular commuters.

I've just realised that it's been 6 months since I used the tube. Used to be my daily routine for 30 years, but since moving out of London in April last year I've only been back twice for work stuff.

I don't miss it at all.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
Well, that was an adventure. It's just typical thet the day we want to use the tube from Chiswick to London is the day that there are problems with the line/signals on the District line (guess which line we needed to use). So after walking a mile from the hotel to the station and then having to walk half a mile back to a bus stop we find out you can't actually pay for a bus journey with cash and you need to use a seperate contactless card for each person and all kids need to be paid for and get told by the bus driver to go to a shop and get a pass (think we got an idiot of a bus driver at this point as everyone else we spoke to were very helpful).

Luckily there was a little shop nearby where the owner was very helpful. Bought three pay as you go Oyster cards with £7 on each plus £5 deposit (9 year old traveled for free, explained by the shop owner). Traveled into the city with a few changes instead of none and back to Chiswick with no issues (apart from overcrowding due to the line problems) and got the deposit back for all the cards without any issue.

I have to say I learnt alot on this trip to London in a very short time. If you like simple travel systems don't go to London.

Reactions: Shogun and Nige

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Yep.
London.
As I say, I'm not missing it. I had that shit for years. My current job has me driving around Worcestershire. Worst thing so far has been a quite slow lorry and a 10 minute diversion for roadworks.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
It gets even better, driving up the A1 today part of it was closed after St Neots, had to take a 30 minute diversion through Cambridgeshire, the wife was really happy about that seeing as she is the only driver in the family.