• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

What doesn't piss you off?

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Playing the Battlefield V closed alpha and discovering I don't need to upgrade my pc despite my i5 4670K being below the minimum specs. Playable on High but much smoother dropping to Medium and there's a LOT of particle effects at present that could be toned down a bit in retail release.

Reactions: Nige

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Playing the Battlefield V closed alpha and discovering I don't need to upgrade my pc despite my i5 4670K being below the minimum specs. Playable on High but much smoother dropping to Medium and there's a LOT of particle effects at present that could be toned down a bit in retail release.
Talking to myself here but I went back to BF1 last night as aplha is finished and almost all my settings are on Ultra and it plays fine, maybe some optimization needed on BFV

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
I'm listening!

BF1 on ultra for me.

I'm skipping BFV though - or at least delaying until it beds in and the price drops.

Reactions: paulod

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I'm listening!

BF1 on ultra for me.

I'm skipping BFV though - or at least delaying until it beds in and the price drops.
The alpha was pretty frustrating at times, there's so many particle effects, especially on the Narvik (snow) map that it's very hard to see other players. Plus spotting has been massively changed which means my usual tactic of dropping a mortar on snipers heads is much more difficult. Hopefully they change it back to the old system before release

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Interesting.

I've been doing the same recently on maps where every orher fucker is a sniper - throw a couple of smoke grenades and mortar away.

If they've changed that option then that's not good, but then extra particle effects means its less likely that a match turns into 'Sniper'?

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
You can only spot someone after you've fully suppressed them, other than that you spot an area where an enemy is which just leaves a marker in the position you saw them, obviously they move so it gives team mates an indication there's an enemy in the area but not a specific location.

Support class now has flare guns which help spotting but the resupply mechanism is odd, you have to go to an ammo crate and press E to resupply rather than just stand next to it.

Bad news on the sniper front, I was still getting headshot by people half a map away, tried it myself and the particle effects don't seem as high at long range if that makes sense. I think they need to balance the spotting issue, hopefully the beta has a few changes in it.

Squads only have 4 players now probably as it divides better into 32 than 5 does and squad play was pretty good in the alpha but that's probably because everyone was experienced players due to the invite system.   

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Thanks for the info.

I think it's the same with BF1 and particle effects at a distance tbh. Either that, or I've been on servers with shed loads of cheating snipers.

It's the sniping that's always really pissed me off about BF. Just gets boring being repeatedly hit by an essentially invisible enemy.

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
Say "sniper" enough and you'll summon me!

It used to take some skill to factor in bullet drop etc but the last few additions to the series have pushed it closer and closer towards being a hitscan role. Not much fun to play or play against.

I miss my BF3 M98B  :(

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
LOL.

I don't necessarily blame players, it's the game that allows unlimited snipers on a map who can just right click, left click repeatedly. Add to that some 'glitches' with particles and it becomes very dull.

I had a couple of good Rush matches this afternoon, then it was just spawn > sniped repeatedly. Smoke grenades, artillery barrage smoke and, in some cases, the terrain had absolutely no effect on reducing the range or accuracy of the sniping team.

i miss Enemy Territory which, iirc, limited the number of each class per team.

As I say, this is my last Battlefield due to it becoming, for me,  mostly dull and frustrating. I do have some good games, but they're fewer and further between and most of the servers on BF1 seem empty a lot of the time. It was certainly busier in BF4 back in the day. I haven't been able to get a game of 'pigeon' for months.

I do dip back into BF4 now and again and it seems so much more .... fun ... 

Last edited by a moderator: