What, no coronavirus thread???

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
What’s interesting is that men in their 50s and 60s are at really high risk of getting unwell with COVID. It’s one of the risks we really don’t understand, like the fact that low vitamin d seems to be a risk too. Physical fitness seems to be protective, so it may well be that @Nige ‘s spin classes were a literal lifesaver.
Personally speaking, this past winter I took Vitamin D supplements all winter, and also went from Couch to 5K up to running 17.5k as preparation for the (sadly cancelled) Great Birmingham 10k run. So I’m now working on predicting lottery numbers...

Reactions: Nige

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
What’s interesting is that men in their 50s and 60s are at really high risk of getting unwell with COVID. It’s one of the risks we really don’t understand, like the fact that low vitamin d seems to be a risk too. Physical fitness seems to be protective, so it may well be that @Nige ‘s spin classes were a literal lifesaver.
Personally speaking, this past winter I took Vitamin D supplements all winter, and also went from Couch to 5K up to running 17.5k as preparation for the (sadly cancelled) Great Birmingham 10k run. So I’m now working on predicting lottery numbers...
Yes, more than one doctor has said that my Spin muscles and fitness level saved me from death, or worse.
I've been on vitamin D since I came out, due to being completely indoors for such a long time.
I saw an interview on the telly with the gym owner from Birmingham, younger than me, who went through similar and lost 4 stone.

I had a follow up call with the ICU team this morning in which I mentioned that I had no idea that I would have to relearn how to walk, swallow, cough, eat and my muscle strength would be less than Mr Burns'. No wonder the nurses were angry when I tried to get out of bed!

Glad to hear you're clear so far Andy. I can't imagine what it's like on the front line day after day. Keep safe.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I'm recovering from Covid-19.
33 days in hospital from the 30th March, 18 of those in ICU and most of those on a ventilator. Touch and go for much of the time.
I've been out since the 1st May, but have had to 999 back to hospital twice with breathing problems. I was in for 3 days the first time, and the for the second, a couple of weeks ago, 5 hours in A and E.

I'm self-employed, but only in my first year and have managed to fall between most of the Government support initiatives apart from ESA. My wife went part time earlier this year and is working from home so she is my primary carer!

I'm visited 3 times a week by physiotherapists, who tell me I'm making good progress and that I should be fully fit by Christmas. I can walk without a stick now, but I lost 12kg of muscle so I'm very weak and fatigued most of the time. Sleep patterns are erratic. I still can't feel the tips of my fingers, but I can now open most bananas!

My PC is in our basement, down a tricky flight of steps, so for the first few weeks I couldn't get down there. Last week, with the Physios on standby, I managed to get down the stairs and boot the PC. I've been playing Medal of Honor Airborne since Saturday (not sure why, but that game just sprang to mind) and I added a new hdd yesterday. It took me all day mind, because I had to rest every 10 minutes, but I did it.

On the plus side, I am excused all household chores and responsibilities and I have loads of time to plough through the list of shame!

:D
Great to hear that you're getting over it Nige sounds like you've had a really rough time, might yet catch up with you on BFV before you rage quit :)

My own personal story isn't something I've shared on social media, those of you who have the misfortune to follow me on twitter may have noticed a dip in my football related nonsense lately.
Basically I lost my Mam on Good Friday to the virus continuing the family tradition of being born or dying on a notable day/date - Mams birthday Valentines Day, my birthday 29th Feb, brothers birthday halloween, Dad and father in law died 9th June (Blaydon Races day for the uneducated ;) )
My mam was 77 but in really good health for her age, never smoked, drank very little and possibly the most independent woman I've ever knew after my Dad passed.
She had mild symptoms at first, a cough and a bit of tiredness, so I was banned from visiting her. The last time I got to see her in person was Mothers Day from her doorway where I had to leave her flowers etc as she stood away from me. She then seemed to be getting on ok other than sleeping a lot more than normal and having a low appetite. Then one of my Dad's close friends died from the virus and it knocked her for six, she went massively downhill in a week and my brother moved in to look after her. I couldn't visit irrespective of the guidelines as my mother in law is in poor health anyway so Mam banned me - the independence thing again.
After a really rough couple of days when I was dreading answering the phone off my brother she perked up, started walking unaided again and making the effort to get dressed properly. Our lunchtime and nighttime phone calls were getting back to something like normal - she had started sounding like an old woman which technically she was but had always sounded and looked 20 years younger than her age. On the Thursday before Good Friday i spoke to her on my lunch break and she said for some reason she had a craving for fish and chips, so I rang my brother with the challenge and he managed to find a place open when he finished work. She had her first proper meal in weeks, rang me to say I had no right telling my brother what she wanted - independence again - told me she loved me and I never spoke to her again.
My brother called in on Good Friday lunchtime and found her seemingly asleep on the sofa (Mam always went to bed) :(

I went straight over and everything was just fucking horrendous, I ended up punching one of the neighbours who thought it was clever to video the Police and coroner staff getting (rightly for them) suited up outside the house -policeman turned a blind eye and said he'd have done the same.

I'm still struggling to understand how a fit and healthy person can be gone in a matter of weeks, it doesn't seem real and probably won't till things get back to 'normal'

Anyway please do your best to follow (or better) the guidelines, this thing is all too real, stay safe

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Great to hear that you're getting over it Nige sounds like you've had a really rough time, might yet catch up with you on BFV before you rage quit :)

My own personal story isn't something I've shared on social media, those of you who have the misfortune to follow me on twitter may have noticed a dip in my football related nonsense lately.
Basically I lost my Mam on Good Friday to the virus continuing the family tradition of being born or dying on a notable day/date - Mams birthday Valentines Day, my birthday 29th Feb, brothers birthday halloween, Dad and father in law died 9th June (Blaydon Races day for the uneducated ;) )
My mam was 77 but in really good health for her age, never smoked, drank very little and possibly the most independent woman I've ever knew after my Dad passed.
She had mild symptoms at first, a cough and a bit of tiredness, so I was banned from visiting her. The last time I got to see her in person was Mothers Day from her doorway where I had to leave her flowers etc as she stood away from me. She then seemed to be getting on ok other than sleeping a lot more than normal and having a low appetite. Then one of my Dad's close friends died from the virus and it knocked her for six, she went massively downhill in a week and my brother moved in to look after her. I couldn't visit irrespective of the guidelines as my mother in law is in poor health anyway so Mam banned me - the independence thing again.
After a really rough couple of days when I was dreading answering the phone off my brother she perked up, started walking unaided again and making the effort to get dressed properly. Our lunchtime and nighttime phone calls were getting back to something like normal - she had started sounding like an old woman which technically she was but had always sounded and looked 20 years younger than her age. On the Thursday before Good Friday i spoke to her on my lunch break and she said for some reason she had a craving for fish and chips, so I rang my brother with the challenge and he managed to find a place open when he finished work. She had her first proper meal in weeks, rang me to say I had no right telling my brother what she wanted - independence again - told me she loved me and I never spoke to her again.
My brother called in on Good Friday lunchtime and found her seemingly asleep on the sofa (Mam always went to bed) :(

I went straight over and everything was just fucking horrendous, I ended up punching one of the neighbours who thought it was clever to video the Police and coroner staff getting (rightly for them) suited up outside the house -policeman turned a blind eye and said he'd have done the same.

I'm still struggling to understand how a fit and healthy person can be gone in a matter of weeks, it doesn't seem real and probably won't till things get back to 'normal'

Anyway please do your best to follow (or better) the guidelines, this thing is all too real, stay safe
I am so, so sorry for your loss paulod. It's truly an awful disease and there is no rhyme nor reason as to who gets it and who it takes. I think many people don't realise how devastaring this disease is.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and thank you for sharing your story.

Reactions: paulod

justplainandy

just found the settings...
Aug 24, 2011
Oh Jesus Paul I’m so sorry. It’s so strange how some people barely know they’ve had it and yet others do so badly. It really does seem like everything can just suddenly go south about 10 days in - which I guess is worth everyone here being aware of.
If there’s anything you need, let me know.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Hello all. Long time no speak. First time I've logged in in about 3 or 4 years!

So sorry Paul for your loss. This is certainly a horrific virus. And, Nige, I'm glad you're slowly on the mend.

I've been working from home solidly since the middle of March and slowly losing my mind because of it. Having a 4 and a half, and a now 3 year old constantly squabble and getting on each others nerves is draining! Coupled with trying to home school too means it's been a tough few months. The wife's doing OK but she's struggled with mental health in the past, and the isolation can be tough on her at times. I don't know if it's mental health related too but I've certainly been down more that up recently, and I've had zero motivation to do anything. Zero exercise and being stuck at the computer all day working. I need to change something, I know, but I've got zero effort in me to do so.

Officially, it was due to Covid, I've lost an aunt recently. She was initially admitted to hospital due to issues with her diabetes, however this apparently developed into breathing difficulties where she ended up on a ventilator. She died soon after. She was tested twice for Covid-19. Once when she was first admitted, and again after she ended up on the ventilator. Both times were negative for Covid-19, however her death certificate states difficulties due to coronavirus, so we don't know what to think. Apparently a False negative is common, but two out of two times? I've no idea!

Ultimately, this virus can fuck off now and I welcome normalcy again! Hope the rest of you are coping OK in these difficult times.

Reactions: paulod and burp

burp

Whoop Whoop
Aug 20, 2011
Just liked your post as a way to say good to hear from you, rather than the fact that I like all the hard times you've mentioned.

Thought I'd clarify :p

I know what you mean bout the lack of motivation. after being furloughed I thought ok I can paint that wall that needs doing, sort out all that stuff I need to, learn some new skills, etc etc.

I've done none of that, but I have played call of duty for 7 hours a day and then watched Netflix.

grrrpoop

Yanky Geordie Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2011
Glad you’re on the mend Nige!

So sorry to hear about your Mom Paul but glad to hear you’re safe.