• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Wifi Help!!!!

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Not sure how many still frequent the place but hoping for an answer

Got some weird issue with my wifi adaptor since upgrading motherboard which I'm guessing is a driver issue. The motherboard is a asrock fatal1ty b450 k4 and my wifi is a TP Link ac600 nano usb thing. All worked perfectly fine till I changed motherboard etc last weekend but now after a couple of minutes I get a 'No internet, secured ' message under my router. Gone back to an old wifi adaptor in the meantime but that dosen't let me download at full speed, maxes out about 50mb instead of 100.
I've updated all drivers for mobo and wifi adaptor but they just don't seem to work together.
Any ideas??

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
You've updated the drivers for the usb adaptor - have you tried uninstalling the drivers completely and then reinstalling them (i.e taking it back to default settings?).

Have you tried different USB ports?

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Tried different ports, the installer deletes the old drivers during installation but I'll do it manually and see if that helps
Thanks for the reply

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Deleting the drivers manually and reinstalling has solved the no internet issue but it's now giving max download speed of 20mb when I should have 100mb. My phone on speedtest on same network gets 100mb so it's not a network issue.
Going to do a bit more digging when I get home tonight, had to leave it yesterday to go and watch NUFC v Wolves, might have been better off staying at home ;)

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Was connecting at 802.11a, installed new drivers (again) and now got 802.11ac and 70mb ish connection still not as quick as my phone but better than it was yesterday.

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Have you checked the settings by right clicking in Device Manager, Properties and then the Advanced Tab? There's a load of settings in there that you may need to change with it being a fresh install of the drivers. It might be defaulting to slower speeds, i know mine has a gaming/multimedia option in there which makes things snappier.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Yeah I've had a look in there, everything seems correct. Tried the wifi adapter in my laptop and it's getting slow speeds in there as well so may be something wrong with it and just a coincidence that it started acting up just after new motherboard.
Think I'll just annoy the wife and drill a couple of holes and use a wired connection which I should have included when I built my office in the first place.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
Bought a pci-e wifi card and all back to normal and as a bonus I didn't upset the Mrs by drilling holes etc