• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Windows 10

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
So, am you're probably all aware, Windows 10 will be FREE for anyone using Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.  But, what I didn't know, is that they're also providing it free to people using pirated copies too!!  Pretty generous of them if you ask me!

Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 to users running pirated copies of earlier editions.

The company also narrowed the launch date of the upgrade to "this summer," although it did not get more specific than that. Previously, the firm has said it would release Windows 10 this fall, which most experts interpreted as October because of past debut dates.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2898803/microsoft-takes-extraordinary-step-will-give-pirates-free-windows-10-upgrade.html?utm_source=fb.com/10ways&utm_medium=social-link&utm_campaign=10ways.com

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
Let's face it, the people running pirated copies are likely to get it anyway, so more like bowing to the inevitable. And they'll still be classed as non-genuine, which I'm sure terrifies them!

Reactions: raamfan and Shogun

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Mmm... Thousands of unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.

Again.

Lovely.

Think I'll pass.

Again.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
Mmm... Thousands of unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.

Again.

Lovely.

Think I'll pass.

Again.
You say beta tester like anyone ever paid the slightest attention to the feedback:

"We want the start menu back"

"No you don't"

"WE do. We REALLY do."

"You'll be fine."

"No. It doesn't work!"

"Alright, sales are slow...we've put the start button back in!"

"We wanted the MENU back"

"We've reinstated the button."

*3 years later*

"We've had a brilliant idea for Windows 10 - we've added a start menu!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2ney and Nige

2ney

Gooouranga!
Sep 13, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I have 7 on this, even though I built it last month, as I couldn't stand the move to 8 - despite 8 being better for new games and SSD in terms of performance (e.g. fps / sleep).

Unfortunately I think at some point we will have to go to 10 when DX 12 comes ....   I just hope 10 is an improvement.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
Well I seem to be the only one looking forward to it. I love Windows 8, it's been my favorite OS so far, and right up there in stability with Windows 7.

Windows 10 will hopefully be polished in terms of what they've learned from Windows 8 and 8.1.  I'll be upgrading as soon as it's possible.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I'm as indifferent to 10 as I was to 7. I hated 8 in advance because I got a very early preview, but most of that was interface decisions and complete lack of intuitiveness. 7 was neiter here nor there for me - XP was still running perfectly well, and I only upgraded when Just Cause 2 came out and forced me to used DX10. When I fit an SSD and reinstall for Witcher 3 next month, I'll continue to use 7, and will upgrade to 10 only if it does something different to game performance.

Reactions: Nige

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
I early-adopted Windows XP, and the experience was so shite that I swore never to update to a new version until I absolutely, definitely had to - and even then it's coincided with getting new hardware.

I only went to 7 for Battlefield 3 tbh.

Pooeypants

Citizen Kabuto
Aug 29, 2011
Cambridge
I have been using Win 8 since launch, I also "beta" tested Win 7. It comes as no surprise that I can giving Win 10 a twirl but this time I don't have it on my main machine as I no longer have the energy to faff around should anything go wrong (for now). Win 10 seems alright, it's just Win 8 with a proper desktop interface which is exactly what we wanted from Win 8 and what they didn't really give us despite what we thought was going to happen for 8.1

My parents have a Win 8.1 tablet so it will be interesting to see how well the upgrade will go for these devices. Allegedly Win 10 is built to scale really well so even poorly specced machines will do fine and given my experience with Win 8 I can actually believe it.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Just reading about Windows 10 updates and how you can't turn off automatic updates. This seems crazy to me, I've often experienced and heard others moan about Windows randomly restarting to install updates in the middle of work. My solution, make it prompt but not install without permission. So it sounds like you can't do that any more.

Then comes the problem that it's trying to handle drivers for everything like Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. So like this article talks about if the driver is bad and breaks things, tough shit it's installed. Then you have to battle with Windows update to get your graphics card on a newer or older driver, which is fine until Windows 10 decides to install its own driver again!

I get what they're doing, not having to worry about drivers is the dream. In practice though us more advanced users should be able to tweak how it goes about doing things. Hell even OSX bundles tweaks into a version release, which isn't forced upon you and don't happen anywhere near as often as Windows security updates.

I was looking forward to Windows 10 but now I'm thinking I'll have to hold off until they inevitably change this enforcement policy and give us more update options.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
I think the update policy is a good thing tbh, it means that the less experienced people who forget about updating or just assume it is done automatically are covered.

I did read someone though that the mandatory updates are only critical and security related, but i can't remember where i read it now (Although i admit I've not fully read the article you posted up)

I wouldn't worry too much though, it won't take long for the community to "block" or change how things are.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
Not really, you have to have experienced the problem first, block it and run a system restore. That's hardly acceptable.

That means at any given moment my operating system could become unusable.

I have read that Windows 10 Pro gives you more options with Windows update, it's home that they're being knobs with. Well I didn't buy pro because Windows 7 had fuck all different worth the extra cost for pro. So it seems like I'd have to buy Windows 10 Pro to get what I want, all of a sudden it's not a free upgrade at all. Looks like I'm staying on Windows 7 :(

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
So if you bought win 7 pro you get win 10 pro??....if so, thank heavens for NHS discounts!!

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
The thing you need to remember with updates this time round is that they will be pushed to Insiders first, meaning there's a large pool of testers out there for any update. Providing there's no issues with the update, then it'll be pushed out to everyone else.

There's less chance of an update severely breaking things this time around (Bar something specific to your build) providing your not a Windows Insider as it'll have been tested to the moon and back before it's pushed to you.

madwedge

Legend
Aug 24, 2011
Essex
I thought the Insider thing has happened already, and tomorrow everyone who Reserved a copy will be able to install it?