• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Windows 10

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
I was aware of that, but just in case I forgot to roll back in time I made an image of my c drive with Arconis before upgrading to 10.

EDIT:- this could be a deal breaker mind. http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/windows-10-anniversary-update-wont-let-you-disable-cortana/
You can't disable it, but you can at least stop it collecting any data about you and deleting any data it does keep on you.

I had a problem recently with the Preview build of this where i needed to disable cortana to troubleshoot something, and obviously i couldn't. I got round it all eventually, but i think it was a further preview build that fixed my issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnn88uk

Mar 11, 2013
Nottinghamshire
You've got 30 days before it automatically deletes the stored copy of your previous Windows Install, plus if you do rollback and later on you decide that you want to go to Win 10 you've still got your free licence. I'd recommend anyone on the fence to do this (you can instantly rollback) just to get a free Win 10 Licence.
This sounds like a good idea to get a freebie. But part of me, the cynical majority, thinks MS will probably break the rules later and autonomously "help you out" and reinstall Win10.

Obviously you must have accidentally rolled it back so we'll help you out, in the background, with no prompt nor warning.

After all, you wanted it, you got a key!

NOTE to self - put more effort into trying Linux...

:)

BR
JN

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
Those of you following me on Twitter will know I've already rolled back to 7 and fully intend to stick with it for as long as is feasibly possible (2020, apparently).

I tried to like 10, I really did. It's obviously a step in a very different direction for those of us used to navigating "classic Windows" and I was fully prepared to give it a chance. That was until I noticed the upgrade hadn't quite worked out so well for my soundcard and my colour settings were causing everything to look washed out, so off in search of the settings I went. Blimey, what a mess. Submenu after submenu after submenu, each offering slightly more options to configure. The display settings wouldn't fix my colour problem so I gave the NVidia Control Panel a shot... and it wouldn't open. Various sources pointed out that a clean driver install was the answer. It was at this point I left 10 for dust.

I know it's clichéd, but why fix what isn't broken? The Windows 7 start menu is easy to navigate and puts anything you need right in front of you in a few clicks. The ethos behind Windows 10 appears to be to "simplify" things because a simple expanding menu isn't going to cut it in a world where images are the new text and large, clunky, easy-to-click-when-you're-hammered buttons reign supreme over the teeny tiny worded links of old. Oh, and ads. Because the thing I desperately want on my PC is a panel with all of the latest blockbusters ready to purchase in an instant.

Naaaaaaaa.

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Those of you following me on Twitter will know I've already rolled back to 7 and fully intend to stick with it for as long as is feasibly possible (2020, apparently).

I tried to like 10, I really did. It's obviously a step in a very different direction for those of us used to navigating "classic Windows" and I was fully prepared to give it a chance. That was until I noticed the upgrade hadn't quite worked out so well for my soundcard and my colour settings were causing everything to look washed out, so off in search of the settings I went. Blimey, what a mess. Submenu after submenu after submenu, each offering slightly more options to configure. The display settings wouldn't fix my colour problem so I gave the NVidia Control Panel a shot... and it wouldn't open. Various sources pointed out that a clean driver install was the answer. It was at this point I left 10 for dust.
Which soundcard do you have?

If you know exactly what you're looking for in the settings, you can just search for it and it'll find it for you. Obviously if you don't, then yeah, it's several submenus - but the UI is something they're still working on - you could also have used the old style Control Panel as well to find what you were looking for.

Reinstalling the Nvidia Drivers is nothing major really, a quick 5/10 minute job - it's likely just a minor fuckup with the driver install and the upgrade to Windows 10. 

I know it's clichéd, but why fix what isn't broken? The Windows 7 start menu is easy to navigate and puts anything you need right in front of you in a few clicks. The ethos behind Windows 10 appears to be to "simplify" things because a simple expanding menu isn't going to cut it in a world where images are the new text and large, clunky, easy-to-click-when-you're-hammered buttons reign supreme over the teeny tiny worded links of old. Oh, and ads. Because the thing I desperately want on my PC is a panel with all of the latest blockbusters ready to purchase in an instant.

Naaaaaaaa.
I can't remember what the Start Menu is like in Default Windows 10, but in the update out on Tuesday it changes so that all your installed programs show in a scrollable list right off the bat rather than having to click the start button, then click all apps.

I've not seen any ads - wherabouts were you seeing ads? Start Menu?

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
Which soundcard do you have?
I worship at the altar of the almighty Sennheiser Game One/Soundblaster Z combo  ;)  I managed to find the relevant setting after a while and fix that problem. The display issue could've been remedied but at that point I'd had enough of scrolling through the various menus and just wanted 7 back. In hindsight, there were a few other startup programs that had done a vanishing act, too.

I've not seen any ads - wherabouts were you seeing ads? Start Menu?
I think it was a movies tab or something similar.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
a simple expanding menu isn't going to cut it in a world where images are the new text and large, clunky, easy-to-click-when-you're-hammered buttons reign supreme over the teeny tiny worded links of old.
I don't think you can blame Microsoft for your lack of self-control :p

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle

God Mode is your friend http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/activate-godmode-in-windows-10/ :)  

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
This is what my Windows 10 looks like at the moment thanks to a program called Aero Glass.  It does cost but you can get 3 licences for a couple of quid.  http://www.glass8.eu/

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
This is what my Windows 10 looks like at the moment thanks to a program called Aero Glass.  It does cost but you can get 3 licences for a couple of quid.  
You paid for the sake of having shimmery, transparent windows?

I really must start showing this forum to customers - a lot of you make me look sensible.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
You paid for the sake of having shimmery, transparent windows?

I really must start showing this forum to customers - a lot of you make me look sensible.
No, i paid to get rid of the annoying watermark and not have to manually download the symbol files from microsoft every time microsoft push an update that makes a significant change.  Also the wife didn't like the look of windows 10 so this keeps her happy as well which makes my life easier

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Each to there own, personally i've not had any issues with Windows 10 as yet.

No, i paid to get rid of the annoying watermark and not have to manually download the symbol files from microsoft every time microsoft push an update that makes a significant change.  Also the wife didn't like the look of windows 10 so this keeps her happy as well which makes my life easier
Of course it's personal preference.

An OS that forces updates and fucks up the current installation.

An OS that doesn't include themes that were previously included for nothing, but are now charged for.

For me, personally, that's shit. My wife has a Windows 10 laptop and it's utterly bollocks. She hates it, and that makes my life harder.

But, as you say, each to their own.

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle
I didn't get all the W10 hate as it runs faultless on my pc, different story on my work laptop though. There's always one process going beserk in the background for no reason, usually wuaserv, which won't shut down. On mobile wifi at work as I'm always out and about so updates are disabled but that won't stop the process :(

Updated it at home last night, over 3 hours, and seems to have done the trick but today I now have Windows Module Installer Worker hogging my cpu :/

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
There are several things in 10 that can cause disk usage to hit 100% and stay there constantly:

Disable the Superfetch service.

Go into Task Scheduler and disable everything under Application Experience, Customer Experience Improvement Program and Sysmain. Also consider anything related to Windows Defender and Windows Search, but the last two vary from machine to machine. Turning off the stuff in scheduled tasks uses brings disk usage down to single figures.

Reactions: paulod

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
There are several things in 10 that can cause disk usage to hit 100% and stay there constantly:

Go into Task Scheduler and disable everything under Application Experience, Customer Experience Improvement Program and Sysmain. Also consider anything related to Windows Defender and Windows Search, but the last two vary from machine to machine. Turning off the stuff in scheduled tasks uses brings disk usage down to single figures.
I pinpointed 100% disc usage to the Windows Update service on my wife's Window 10 laptop.

The only way I could solve the issue was to disable the service itself. I did this months ago, and so, of course, Windows has had no updates since then.

I re-enabled the service last week to let it do it's update thing. Disc usage soared immediately to 100%, the system became unusable and the wife needed the machine within the next 12 hours, so I stopped it again and haven't got round to fixing it yet.

Ironic that the feature that is meant to keep the system safe automatically actually cripples some of them, to the extent that the only way to use them is to disable updates completely.

As I said, turd.

Although I also blame OEMs for simply sticking Windows 10 onto their old spec hardware. The wife's is a Dell Inspiron something or other, and I believe the model has been around for a while. Dell just rolled out the same machines with Windows 10.

Shitty OS and lazy, greedy OEMs = I fucking hate Windows 10

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I pinpointed 100% disc usage to the Windows Update service on my wife's Window 10 laptop.

Ironic that the feature that is meant to keep the system safe automatically actually cripples some of them, to the extent that the only way to use them is to disable updates completely.

As I said, turd.

Although I also blame OEMs for simply sticking Windows 10 onto their old spec hardware. The wife's is a Dell Inspiron something or other, and I believe the model has been around for a while. Dell just rolled out the same machines with Windows 10.

Shitty OS and lazy, greedy OEMs = I fucking hate Windows 10
All of that is not restricted to 10, it's just more pronounced. I don't know if every version of Windows shares the same updater code or what, but I've had nightmares with some clean installs of 7 in recent months - 100% resource usage, freezing on checking for updates etc. Sometimes it can be cured by disk cleanup, sometimes by applying a few patches, sometimes a full reinstall is required. It's infuriating because 7 was perfect on release as far as I was concerned, while every other version of Windows suffers from "Why don't you listen? Why do you keep removing and burying functions that were fine in the first place?"

The OEM thing is better now than it was purely because hardware is more powerful, but is still a pain and has been since the days of XP. The number of HP and Dell machines I saw with 512MB of RAM limping along used to drive me wild, To add insult to injury, the same OEMs would bundle Norton on the same machines, thus taking a crippled machine and kicking away its one good leg.

I  wrote a Facebook post a while back about the telephone scammers who pretend to be from Microsoft. A key point I wanted to make was "Microsoft does not care about you. Microsoft does not care if you live or die," That has never been more pronounced than in Windows 10, which got a Start Menu after telling us for 4 years that we were being silly asking for a start menu in 8, which is getting a manual update setting after 2 years of telling us we didn't need to control the updates, and whose very rollout, lest we forget, was exemplified by "Yeah, when you clicked X to close the window, we decided to take that as "Please install Windows 10." 

Reactions: Nige

paulod

Aug 29, 2011
Newcastle

Cheers, I've done the Task Scheduler stuff and everything seems much 'calmer' now, CPU usage in single figures with chrome and Thunderbird open, hopefully it lasts.