• You may notice some wonkiness - i'm just integrating the wordpress install and the xenforo install. Things may go funny for a little while or you may get some odd emails here and there as it syncs the accounts.

Windows 10

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
So with a few weeks to go before the horror of no more free Windows 10, what's everyone's view?

I remain totally indifferent to be honest - I was starting to have doubts about my judgement when I seemed to be a rare voice of dissent, telling people Windows 10 is a very temperamental upgrade, seems to work well enough on new hardware designed to run it but largely does nothing better than 7 if you don't want apps.

The refresh option is nice, particularly on prebuilt machines, but hardly a gamechanger.

The task manager continues to improve.

I think that's about it for significant pluses for me - I do not need and cannot use DX12 and I don't need any particular apps on my phone, let alone my PC - Skype, a web browser, word processor and games, that's about it.

I've had a lot of issues with updates just plain screwing things up for people(bsoltan's sound, several people with touchpad issues, or the desktop icons being unaccessible, relatively new laptops becoming bricks because 10 can't load graphics drivers properly, so shows a blank white screen instead)

I dislike the idea of forced updates.

I find it's retained 8's habit of burying settings and schizophrenia - try to make changes to user accounts, you can do some of it through user accounts in control panel, then it forces you to open PC Settings.

Edge is an almost total waste of time - "Java? don't support it. Flash? Ditto. Home button? Just follow these instructions to turn it back on."

Getting to safe mode etc. is a pain in the arse - if the machine won't boot, you have to force shutdown twice before it tries loading Windows, then wait for "Automatic diagnosis" and then go through the recovery screens to "Change startup options" - just let me press F8!

I'm sure it's great for some people, it's just for anyone with simple usage requirements, it mostly adds bloat.

Any of you delighted you upgraded? Any features I may have missed that stand out for praise?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
I did a thorough investigation into the pros and cons of upgrading from 7 to 10, and found no compelling reasons to do so.

I'll wait until I buy new kit.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I use Windows 10 at work. It's practically Windows 7 with a plain skin and overly simplified ways of changing the settings that 9 times out of 10 you'll be searching for the control panel to bypass.

I feel like I've got to update but I don't particularly want to. Forced updates is a really annoying one for me too.

I might update this weekend.

mus422

Sep 1, 2011
Amsterdam
I updated a while ago and had major problems - maybe I was just unlucky but in the end I had to do a fresh install of the OS as the initial upgrade had loads of problems.

But ever since the fresh install Win 10 has been fine and I quite like it now.

The main reason I upgraded sooner was simply because it was free.

Oh and I really like the Weather app

Johnn88uk

Mar 11, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Well, two week ago I finally gave in and...ran GRC's Never10.

No more nags.

The ONLY thing Win10 was likely to bring to the party was DX12.

I HATED the forced update idea, too.

Nothing about it interested me.

And as I always, always say, I don't use my PC to run Windows.

I'll buy it when I have to...

BR
JN

SgtDave

Massive Member
Aug 30, 2011
I upgraded ages ago also as it was free but i waited a while for other guinea pigs after it was released. It upgraded fine and * touch wood* have had no problems. When i got my new build i did a complete new instal...again no issues that i can think of. 

Howevee, the forced upgrade route is wrong. The othwr halfa laptop was running win 7 and she uses it access work via Citrix which has proven to be flaky and a general pain in the arse, with eventhings like flash player updates cause it to rhrow a hissy. I was golding off upgrading her laptop until i could check Citrix worked on my pc but MS had other ideas and auto upgraded it one day. Luckily Citrix ran ok (dare i say it seems more stable than under win 7)

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
I upgraded to the Insider Preview before the general release and have been running it since then with very few problems.

I occasionally get an issue where the start menu doesn't respond correctly (takes a few clicks to open) but it sorts itself out eventually.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
I've been holding off upgrading as well.  I'm on 7 Home at the moment and the lack of control over updates is the main thing stopping me fom pushing the button.

Reactions: SuPerNoVi

Shogun

Aug 25, 2011
4th PC/Laptop upgraded to Windows 10 with zero issues at all. No refreshes or re-installs either (touch wood).

Don't know what all the fuss is about  :p

Reactions: madwedge

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
I'm still running 7. The temptation to upgrade is definitely there but 7 does all that I need for now.

I'll probably end up buying it one day. I always prefer having a disc to hand for OS installs, anyway.

Reactions: SuPerNoVi

bsoltan

Aug 15, 2011
The forced updates is the main gripe from me too, as someone that likes to leave their PC running with programmes and things open.

As gavpowell mentioned too the Control Pannel sucks and every time I just use the search, particularly for uninstalling programmes.

however with that when I build a new machine later this year i'll probably get a fresh copy of Win10.

i have just lived with it so far without investigating any ways-round or customisation.

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
I'm still running 7. The temptation to upgrade is definitely there but 7 does all that I need for now.

I'll probably end up buying it one day. I always prefer having a disc to hand for OS installs, anyway.
If you do the free upgrade now and then roll back to 7 you've got Windows 10 for free and you can just use the tool on the MS Website to make your own Disc/USB of the install media.

SuPerNoVi

Supreme Being
Staff member
Aug 23, 2011
Leicestershire
I'm still not sure I can ditch Windows 7. I like the interface more than Windows 10, even after using Windows 10 daily on my work machine.

Ugghhhh don't know what to do :(

Nige

It is, is it?
Aug 27, 2011
Worcester
Despite, or maybe because of, my  recently upgrading to Office 365, Windows 10 mobile and the wife getring a new W10 laptop, I'm still sticking to Windows 7 on my PC.

gavpowell

Suits you
Sep 3, 2011
I'm still not sure I can ditch Windows 7. I like the interface more than Windows 10, even after using Windows 10 daily on my work machine.

Ugghhhh don't know what to do :(
Classic Shell allows you to get most of the interface back.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
I'm going to give Windows 10 a try for a couple of weeks, if I don't like it i'll switch back to 7.  Apart from it completley messing up my start menu and the ugly borders on program windows it doesn't feel that much different.  I do miss the Aero theme though.

Barry

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
I'm going to give Windows 10 a try for a couple of weeks, if I don't like it i'll switch back to 7.
You've got 30 days before it automatically deletes the stored copy of your previous Windows Install, plus if you do rollback and later on you decide that you want to go to Win 10 you've still got your free licence. I'd recommend anyone on the fence to do this (you can instantly rollback) just to get a free Win 10 Licence.

Halrick

The Law
Aug 16, 2011
South Wales
I installed it last night for that very reason. My system's potentially getting an overhaul at the end of next month so the 30 day trial will help me decide whether to stick with 7 or move to 10 permanently. As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy with 7 and honestly have no urge to leave it behind. Not having DirectX 12 would be a pain, though.

djmagnifique

Aug 21, 2011
You've got 30 days before it automatically deletes the stored copy of your previous Windows Install, plus if you do rollback and later on you decide that you want to go to Win 10 you've still got your free licence. I'd recommend anyone on the fence to do this (you can instantly rollback) just to get a free Win 10 Licence.
I was aware of that, but just in case I forgot to roll back in time I made an image of my c drive with Arconis before upgrading to 10.

EDIT:- this could be a deal breaker mind. http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/windows-10-anniversary-update-wont-let-you-disable-cortana/