Sign in to follow this  
madwedge

Elite: Dangerous

I'm sure there was a thread for this but cannot find it. 

As a huge fan of Elite, and moreso Frontier Elite II, I've been looking forward to this game!  Here's a 16 min E3 video and, I must say, it looks beautiful!

Def can't wait to play this with the likes of the Oculus Rift!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTgA_Y-m2Q

Loving the hyperdrive effects!   I'll miss the old Blue/Orange hyperspace points al-la Babylon 5 from the old games but this new version looks amazing!  Love the scale as wells, how you can zoom in to see individual rocks in the planetary rings. 

Apparently it wont be available for release but will be added at a later stage, and that's the ability to land on planets!  The space stations look very impressive though and the level of detail is amazing.

I just hope this game is well optimised. I'm not planning on having to upgrade my PC for it. 

I found this interesting. At 2:30 in the video it pops up with an "Interdiction Field" warning to prevent the ship going to hyperspace. I guess these are the same as in Star Wars with the Inderdicter Star Destroyers to trap ships in normal space.  The player in the vid is then promptly attacked afterwards by pirates or similar. Hope this is something we can also do in the game; trap ships to raid them etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7K9Rl7fRjc

Watched for 7 minutes of him talking shit about constellations and dust, gave it a few more minutes then he started repeating things he'd already said so I gave up. Liked the graphics though, just couldn't put up with that guys waffling.

I've been stalking this one for a while, and they have a very interesting business model - they actually charge you £100 to become a beta-tester. That said, you do get all manner of bells and whistles once the game is fully live so as well as the early access it is probably on par with a 'super-duper collection' release.

Can't wait for it to be released though, it's probably been about 15 years since the last Elite incarnation and they are fearsomely addictive. I didn't get on with the X series - just too complex for me - but a game of this scope with just getting away with single-ship trading and the odd bit of piracy could be fun.

Let's face it, if I could make it to 'Mostly Harmless', it'll be enough for me :)

I've been stalking this one for a while, and they have a very interesting business model - they actually charge you £100 to become a beta-tester. That said, you do get all manner of bells and whistles once the game is fully live so as well as the early access it is probably on par with a 'super-duper collection' release.

Its was funded originally via a kickstarter campaign, I pledged £90 originally which got me -

DRM-free collector's premium boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous". Includes a T shirt with "I backed Elite: Dangerous" on the back, an A3 Star Map and a paperback copy of the official sequel to "The Dark Wheel".
Kickstarter Special: Have the option to start in the founder's world with any starter ship and 4,000 CR. Note: any Kickstarter decal-carrier will be able to travel to this secret system in gameplay.
Digital Download Pack. This includes a single digital download of the game, any expansions and 500 credits when starting a new game.
Access to the private backer’s discussion forum.
Explorer: Have the option to start on the edge of explored space with a long range version of the Cobra Mk III and 3,000 CR (randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons).
Independent Trader: Have the option to start in the Lave system with a basic Cobra Mk III and only 100 CR.
Participate in the second round private beta test.
Download a digital copy of the “Elite: Dangerous” music.
Pirate: Have the option to start in an anarchic Frontier system with a stolen but upgraded Cobra Mk III and only 100 CR (randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons).
Your name forms part of the naming database (so your name will be one of those used randomly for non-player in-game characters).
Federal Trader: Have the option to start in a Federal border system with a basic Cobra Mk III loaded with cargo worth 1,000 CR and 1,000 CR in cash (randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons).
Download a digital copy of the official sequel to “The Dark Wheel” novel.
Imperial Bounty Hunter: Have the option to start in an Imperial Colony with an Imperial Eagle Mk II Fighter with upgraded weapons and shields and 1,000 CR (randomised start system choice for multiplayer reasons).
Reserve your Commander name in the game (first come, first served, except Jameson).
Receive the digital newsletter and progress updates.
Be an Elite supporter, and get a digital code when the game is released to apply a transferrable decal to your ship, unique to you, the game’s backers.

And another £10, to take it to £100, has got me flying round space frequently getting my ass shot off.

It's pretty much like frontier elite but a lot prettier and smoother. Having never flown a spaceship via a mouse it's throwing me a little. When I get the chance I'll dig out my joystick, oooh err missus, and set up all the buttons. Space combat is quite hard and docking manually in a space station is still just as fun as ever, 

I've played Elite through all its incarnations since I had a c64. I got to 'elite' status only once when playing it on an amstrad 6128 (broken collarbone 8 weeks off work) and have been most recently playing oolite, a fan based version.

Of all the games I've played on various systems this is the one I've played the most so personally think that it's been worth the money just to get a new official version. 

There's been a new update today which adds three new star systems, a new ship type (the Hauler) and the new Orbis starport.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to have another blast tomorrow when the kids are at school :-)

Its was funded originally via a kickstarter campaign, I pledged £90 originally which got me -

[A bucketload of stuff]

Yeah, that's a serious pile of stuff. I was severely tempted but in the end, bearing in mind I'm on sick leave, I just had to save the pennies even though I know I probably would've got my money's worth out of it :)

Alas, I'll have to wait until full release, but I'm going to murder some hours on it once it's out.

I love this article, saying how Elite: Dangerous will be the new Crysis, in terms of benchmarking a system, and the scalability of the graphics seems impressive!

Even if your PC of today can't run with all the features on, your PC of tomorrow might.

So what we have here is a game which promises to bring current PCs to their knees, but also be able to scale down to run on even todays laptops, a difficult task.

This game does look more and more beautiful every time I watch a vid of it!

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/software/elite_dangerous_-_have_we_found_the_next_crysis/1

Elite: Dangerous team outline plans for post-launch expansion packs

"Major new features will include planetary landings and even walking around inside ships, stations, and planet surfaces with time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTRJpvbmhU

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/21/elite-dangerous-team-outline-plans-for-post-launch-expansion-packs/

Plus an old modding buddy of mine has just been hired by Frontier to work on the score and sound effects :)

Here's some sound (original score and effects) he did for our old game intro (circa : 2002 I think, so he's obviously much more knowledgeable now!)

If you have $75/£50 burning a hole in your pocket, and you're longing to try the belated sequel to a space simulation classic, today is the day your weirdly specific dream comes true. Elite: Dangerous has just entered its "standard beta" phase, which sees the price of entry lowered from an eye-watering $150 to a slightly less moist $75. This first standard beta phase comes with a clutch of updates and fixes, including "docking computer added" and "gas giant features dervived from stellar forge data" and "I have no idea what any of this means". The patch list is below.

http://m.pcgamer.com/2014/07/30/elite-dangerous-enters-standard-beta-is-still-quite-pricey/

I signed up for the lifetime expansion pass earlier this week, figured it was worth 35 quid to get any extra content that comes out at a later date.

I'm not going to bother with any of the early beta access deals - I'd rather wait for the first official release.

Bought the beta. £50 aint cheap but I thought fuck it, I buy about 1 game a year these days so I'm happy to splash £50 on something I really want to support and try out.  Only had 5 minutes on it so far, but initial impressions are it feels 'right'.  Nice tight controls, easy enough to jump in and fly around shooting things.  Obviously there's a buck load of controls to figure out but they seem to have the basics right.  I don't get that feeling playing Star Citizen, I'm all for realism but gameplay has to override anything else, if realism makes it less fun it needs toning down.

Not lost faith in Star Citizen but I can see myself playing Elite for a good while and being more than happy with it, Star Citizen can wait until they release something worthy of my time.

I thought about the beta but from what I've seen there still needs to be a little bit of work so I'm happy to wait till final release. December I believe?

There was a live stream I watched on Friday, I think it was, and whilst it looks amazing, there appeared to be a few bugs which broke the flow of the game.

Namely it seemed that whenever you enter of exit hyperspace, there was a long delay where sound would drop out, and for about 10 seconds you'd just sit there with the cockpit shaking. Similarly this "Supercruise" mode didn't seem like it worked as it should.