Sign in to follow this  
madwedge

Elite: Dangerous

... whenever you enter of exit hyperspace, there was a long delay where sound would drop out, and for about 10 seconds you'd just sit there with the cockpit shaking. Similarly this "Supercruise" mode didn't seem like it worked as it should.

It's all those special modifications, kid!

;)

For those in the market for one in preparation for these various space games on the horizon, be wary that the price of Joysticks / Flight contollers are slowly on the rise!!

I've got some Saitek Cyborg something-or-other stick that hasn't seen the light of day in about 5 years so will try that out soon to see if it still works. Other than that I've got my eye on this Saitek X-52 Pro controller which has been out for a few years already, but looks awesome! Just over £100 if you look around.

x52pro_1.jpg

Nice. I've seen reviews for that model i think. Looks good. It's the one where the throttle can separate from the stick can't it? 

I tried out my Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick with Battlefield 4 the other day. The stick works fine but it was actually a lot harder to fly helicopters than with a keyboard and mouse!  Planes were easier though!

I still reckon I'll get that Saitek X52 Pro pictured above nearer christmas though. Last week it had dropped to £105 on Amazon but I hesitated and it's out of stock now. Can get it from other sellers though "Starting at £190"!! lol

Plenty of time before the game comes out though.

Awesome video of someone salvaging illegal goods and smuggling them onto a station. Involves turning your power right down to eliminate your power singature so patrol vipers and station defences can't locate you. I love how the windows frost over as the cabin temperature plummets!

http://youtu.be/KbaLJTGHkj8

So there's a couple of things I'm currently experimenting with to "enhance" the experience.

The first is Roccat's Power Grid App.  This is basically an app you install for a tablet / phone + install on the PC that sync together (through your wifi connection).  You can then assign controls to buttons on the tablet.  The tablet provides you with customisable control screens (there's a few aleady for Elite made by users) with icons for various controls.  What's also nice is the controls can add sound effects to them, so "open cargo bay" can also play a sound to imitate this action which adds to the immersion.  It's some way to recreating one of the displays in the cockpit physically on your desk.

The second is using Facetrack NoIR (freeware) to monitor head oprientation which is translated into the game to give you free head spinning ability within the game without a headset.  I've not managed to get this to successfully work yet, but others have, including Lowe from Hexus forums, you can see his video of the experience here, and he highly recommends it!

Here's the hexus thread if you want to read more:

http://forums.hexus.net/pc/328157-elite-dangerous.html

Also useful tools for planning routes / maximising your profits:

http://changodock.com/ - for hyperspace routes

http://elitebpc.com/ED/Default.aspx - for trade route profit calculations(the windows version is better but more complicated)

Release price has been revealed.

We still don't know when Elite: Dangerous will be released, but we now know how much it will cost. The sprawling space sim—currently available in beta for £50/$75—will, for its release version, set players back a slightly more reasonable £40, €50 or $60. The announcement came as part of Frontier's latest newsletter, which also outlined the "Mercenary Edition" pre-order bonuses.

The pre-order pack is available now for a slightly discounted price of £35, €40 or $50. It won't allow players to join the beta, although existing beta participants will receive all bonus goodies. Those goodies include:

• An additional Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location
  • Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
  • A day one ship decal
  • A digital players guide
  • A digital concept art book
  • Plus additional in-game benefits and other digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/15/elite-dangerous-release-price-revealed/

Elite: Dangerous beta 2 goes live at the end of the month, original Elite is free right now

The second Elite: Dangerous beta is a "major gameplay upgrade," adding new combat ratings from "Harmless" to "Elite," a system-by-system and galaxy-wide reputation system that will influence attitudes and prices, 500 new star systems to explore, a greater variety of upgradeable ship modules, new weapons, outposts, and a whole bunch more. A number of smaller improvements and optimizations have also been made, including "additional rock, ice and metal planetary ring types, a lot more music and some optional 'simulator' tutorials."

A video showing flight with "Flight Assist" off. Queue lots of proper space physics!

Also pick up the original Elite for FREE here --->  https://store.zaonce.net/elite1984.html

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/19/elite-dangerous-beta-2-goes-live-at-the-end-of-the-month-original-elite-is-free-right-now/

This whole Beta experience is pissing me off for some reason.

I'm waiting patiently for this game to be released, but it fells like the whole world and their mothers are playing this game already (albeit Beta only) and getting loads of fun out of it.

I don't want to buy the Beta (which is another issue I have!) but it feels like this game has been out months already and that I'm missing out.

I know we're nearly at the release date, but it just irks me. :(

So, having missed the original game altogether, my only experience of the Elite franchise is Frontier on the Amiga, or possibly it was my old Cyrix 200 PC. I found Frontier to be a total waste of time, and couldn't work out how to play it properly, so gave up. I'd like to be excited about this, but I've never really tasted the Elite experience - is everyone trading on memories of the original or did I miss a classic with Frontier as well?

I never played Elite. All my fond memories are from Frontier Elite on the Amiga. My school friend and I used to spend hours at a time playing it. The freedom to do what you want, when you want was awesome!

It was funny as I had an Amiga 500 with half a Meg RAM upgrade, but the game still lagged like a bitch, especially when landing on planets. My friend had an Amiga 4000 and it ran like a dream on it.

We used to get the biggest ship we could, load up with fuel, and head out into the universe as far as we could go to see if we would find any hidden easter egg type gems. I aware we found a random pirate ship in a system hundreds of light years from home!

Truly cannot wait for this game, but kind of not looking forward to the amount of hours I'll need to put in to make any progress.

I play many hours of the original Elite on my ZX Spectrum and Frontier while a bit buggy was fun on my Amiga.  I loved the ship that looked like two thirds of the Liberator (Blakes 7)

Are you on about the Imperial Courier??