Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madwedge

Elite: Dangerous

420 posts in this topic

Tickets to the Premier are still available for those of you inclined.

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-premiere-ticket.html

Elite: Dangerous Premiere Ticket - 22nd November 2014
The venue is The Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK. The date is Saturday 22nd November 2014. The event is the Premiere of Elite: Dangerous!

This celebration of the game and our amazing community will be broadcast around the world via a livestream on Twitch.tv.

There will be new content, discussions and talks with the development team, game streaming - and some important announcements.

Doors open 1800 hrs.
Event to start at 1830 hrs.
Doors close at midnight.

All tickets will be sent out via Recorded Delivery approx 2 weeks before the event. Please ensure they are shipped to an address where they can be signed for. P&P - £3

Maximum 4 tickets per order

Availability: In stock

£50.00

For those of you that have pre-ordered, the Elite: Dangerous Single Player Combat Training Demo is available to download. Check your Accounts on the Elite Dangerous website for details.

Edit - Had a few goes of this today. It's been good to finally get my hands on this to play a little, albeit, with mouse and keyboard only. I couldn't be bothered to set up the HOTAS yet. Graphics defaults to High settings and the game is perfectly smooth and sexy! May try cranking it to Ultra but it's perfect as it is to be honest.

Bring on the 16th December!

The game is just incredibly large.  I'm really enjoying it when I find the time.  Really need to sit down and what a tutortial about fire groups (in the right hand menu)...Just found out how to "ping" a new system to discover unknown planetary bodies with the scanner (needs some tweaking in the fire groups menu to enable it).  Great fun :)

Yeah I'm still a little overwhelmed by this game. The Combat demo I tried yesterday didn't really explain controls so I don't know if I've missed a previous tutorial, or if I just need to wait for the final game. In working through the tutorial missions though. I took out two Security Vipers though so getting the hang on it!

Gamma is essentially "full game" and we're alrewady 4 patches in, come 16 Dec is should be pretty ironed out.  I was crashing fairly frequently, but it turns out it was my CPU overclock.  With my CPU now at stock it's been rock solid without any issues.  I'm pretty confident you can buy on release and experience a generally bug free game.

^^ Totally agree - saying people who paid extra for the pre-release game get a bonus over new players is pretty poor - after the lack of a real off-line game this decision is another black mark against the developers, at least in my book

There have been wipes all the time through beta and it has become pretty repetitive to start off with nowt again. I know folk who, like me, have enjoyed the beta but didn't like the wipes and have only started playing the on monday after the 'no gamma wipe' message . As to your post above, If you want to look at it another way we already have a bonus start as we've been playing since july. 

I've got a tricked out cobra mk3, which can jump 19 light years fully loaded, and about 2.5 million credits in the bank. I most certainly don't, can't really as I'm the house-husband with the responsibilities that go with being in charge of 2 chilblains and all that goes with them, and haven't played the gamma non-stop, just dipping in and out every now and again. There are quick routes to getting rich, trading in valuable commodities for one, but everyone has to, and has had to, grind through the first bit so you can afford to upgrade the fsd and be able to jump more than 15ly. Head to Toxandji buy the Virocide and take it to Xihe sell the Virocide and buy Biomorphic Companions which you can sell back at Toxandji. 19 jumps none more than 15ly, profit on 40 tons hauled around 600,000 credits each way.  Do that a few times and I'm sure you'll soon catch up, with me anyways ;-) 

Btw I'm Commander Jandes on ED so if you do meet me, please don't do the pirate thing. I'm just a honest (cough) trader/explorer, though I've not done much of the latter yet too busy grinding my way to a better ship :-)

madwedge and raamfan like this

Once you actually play the game, you'll quickly realise how unimportant the lack of a v1.0 wipe actually is.  Yes it's MMO, but if you ever meet more than a handful of people after your initial starting position I'd be surprised, especially as there's 400 billion systems to explore.  As the population base expands out it will be a very rare event to meet real people in the game, other than pre-determined link ups with friends.

The lack of a wipe for this reason isn't a massive issue, and once you play the game you'll understand this.  It's essentially a single player experience where you might occasionally see another human player.

As regards to the 3 projector rig, yeah it's good, but a v1 commercial release of the Oculus Rift will be infinitely better for immersion.

madwedge likes this

How good is it then, for those who have early access?

Out of 10?

Rinshaw, have you pre-ordered the game?  If so you can download the Free Combat Tutorial. Gives you a brief feel of how the game will play.

It depends on your expectations, I'd suggest it's a semi-realistic simulation with exploration, trading and mining / fighting at it's core.  It's very much "Elite".  It's easy to pick up and learn the basics in an hour or so, but it's relatively deep if you want to become an expert.  I'd yet to look through power management and fully understand how to best scan systems for example.

As an example buy powerful guns without upgrading your heat fins or power module and you'll likely loose power and shields when you fire.  You need to balance your ship.

You also need to learn how to obey system rules (picking up cargo adrift in space will likely see you be fined for illegal cargo if scanned by system authority vessels.  If you don't pay the fine within a specific deadline you'll have a bounty placed on your head, at which point it becomes legal for any AI / human player to fire on you to kill in that system).

There's a lot to learn, but it's very engaging, the flight model is excellent, the sound superb, the visuals very good and the overall experience engrossing.

You need to be able to sink some time into this game.  It's not one you pop in and out of for 20 minutes.

But if you've got the time and patience to learn how to play it fully, then 9/10.  If you want a quick "arcade space fight" you'll be disappointed and I'd rate it 5/10 on that basis.

The trailer is VERY misleading, watch some of Scott Manley's Youtube videos if you want to see the actual pace of the game.

jandes likes this