Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barry

Buyers Guide

Buyers Guide Poll   16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see more Buyers Guides?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

I'm currently sourcing PC Gaming Peripherals from the various companies that make them with a view to compiling a Buyers Guide of the best Gaming Keyboard/Mouse/Headset and the best on a budget.

Is this something you'd like to see more of?

I'm not too sure yet how often i'd keep it up to date but i'd try to regularly (every couple of months?) review the list to make sure it's as accurate as possible.

I'm looking at the end of October for this guide to go live (depending on when all the items turn up but end of October is my cut off point).

Sounds like a really good idea. Peripherals were quite an overlooked thing for a long time and then in the last couple of years there seems to have been a big push with mechanical keyboards, gaming mice up the wazoo and more companies bringing out more in a range of budgets..

How are you going to test/review them?

I find it a struggle to know what peripherals are going to be like because so few shops stock them in any kind of variety so you can't try things out. Without spending a lot and either returning them or selling them on both of which are a lot of hassle. With thing so tactile it isn't just performance but a lot of other things come into play, including the looks of them of course. :D

Good luck.

Putting together this buyers guide has taken longer than i was anticipating due to waiting on all the things being sent to me. It's looking like it'll be closer to christmas than i originally hoped.

My idea is for it to be split into No Budget and Budget and then i'll list the best item in each category with an excerpt from the review and a link to the review. I'll then update the Buyers Guide on a monthly basis (where possible).

Once i've established the Peripherals Buyers Guide, i'll start looking at other things to include - like Graphics Cards and other components, with a view to it being like the old Buyers Guide bit in the Dear Wandy section of PC Zone.

Also, out of curiosity, what are people looking for in Reviews of Hardware?

I'm intrigued. When you say you're sourcing peripherals from companies to review them, do you mean that they're sending them to you for free?! 

Just trying to understand what your actually doing?

I'm intrigued. When you say you're sourcing peripherals from companies to review them, do you mean that they're sending them to you for free?! 

Just trying to understand what your actually doing?

They're generally loaners, they send them i review them and then send them back (much like i have done with the Razer Ourobouos).

What would happen, say, if you didn't return it? Are they on the ball and chase you for it? Lol

Well they know where I live so I wouldn't want to chance anything. Plus I'm honest, in case you pr types are reading this.

shogun I have the Xbox wireless pad for PCs and it really is excellent

I've got 2 wireless and one wired xbox 360 pads, can connect up to four of them at the same time for super multiplayer fun (if the game allows it).

raamfan likes this

I do have a wireless 360 pad to game with, but the battery compartment is knackered and needs plugging in and i also need to plug the dongle in because the charge cable doesn't act like a wired controller.

This wouldn't be a problem apart from the fact i'm sat on the couch with a laptop and now have a load of wires :P

I grabbed the wired 360 pad for gaming on the PC - its been great, perfect for the more arcadey titles and also for emulators.

Seconded, plug it in, install the drivers and away you go!

Seconded, plug it in, install the drivers and away you go!

Yep thirded, I used to use my old PS2 pads with a usb adapter but the 360 pad is pre-configured for nearly every game so makes much more sense, nicer pad as well  

I've always been a Dual Shock lover and have always hated the Xbox controller. However my previous attempts of getting the Dual Shock to work on the Pc have been fiddly.

May have to invest in a controller. The Titanfall edition Xbox One version is quite sexy!

xboxone_se_controller_f_whitebg_rgb_2013

Hmmm I'm sure I read this was for the PC too. They've made Xbox One drivers for the PC. I'll have a dig around and find out.

Edit - If this article is anything to go by, there's a standard Xbox One controller which comes with a Micro USB cable.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/18/6429801/xbox-one-controller-pc-price

The drivers haven't been released yet, but will be very shortly :)

As far as i'm aware you don't need a dongle for the Xbox One pads?...but we will see!

PC Drivers have been available since June.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782598/xbox-one-controller-pc-drivers-windows

And it seems any Micro USB cable will do. Might get that Titanfall Controller!!