Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clownst0pper

Internet Regularly (But Randomly) Disconnecting

Question

Hi all,

Several months ago while using a Wireless connection, it would regularly drop. As my Router is in the living room and my PC is in the attic, I assumed it was simply a case of distance and too many walls. I reported this to my ISP and they simply said the same, though they did check my line and said it was fine. I decided the solution would be to fit a wired connection from my Router to my PC in the attic.

Having done this, my connection speed is now exceptional (I pay for 60mb Fibre Optic through PlusNet) and I achieve almost exactly that

Having Wired my connection, I'm still getting totally random disconnects. I'll get kicked from Team Speak and the games I'm currently playing, the yellow Triangle will appear in the bottom right of Windows and my connection will then drop out. The only way to get it back is to unplug my Ethernet cable from the back of my PC and plug it back in, or turn the Router on and off again.

Here is a "Disconnect Diary" I kept:

• 18:26 14/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 10:54 15/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 12:59 15/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 08:32 16/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 19:00-19:40 9/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 20:04 19/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 20:16 19/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 20:23 19/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 20:27 19/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 13:44 19/01/2015 Connection Down
  • 14:24 19/01/2015 Connection Down

I reported to my ISP, after wiring my connection, that it was still dropping and from the 14th January kept this diary. They arranged for a BT Engineer to visit my property and he tested every connection - he said my line was perfect. He also checked with the exchange to see (on BT's side) if I had had any drops and they confirmed I hadn't. PlusNet confirmed they had seen a couple of drops, but nothing matching what I was experiencing.

PlusNet subsequently sent me a brand new Router. I installed this and the same day had a disconnect. I have subsequently bought a new Ethernet cable (40 meters) and that too has fixed nothing (I had a disconnect about an hour after using the new cable). Lastly, I re-installed and updated my Ethernet drivers and that did nothing.

Besides re-installing my operating system or buying a separate Ethernet card (I'm plugging into my Motherboards Ethernet at the moment) I'm at a complete loss and my ISP doesn't know what the cause is.

My system specs are below, let me know if you need more:

• P8P67 (B3 Revision)
  • i5 2500K OC'ed to 4.3GHZ
  • Windows 7 64 Bit version

If anyone can help on this matter, I'd really appreciate it and would happily buy someone a game on Steam (of their choice!) as a thank you. I'm pretty desperate at the moment!

Few things to note: My wife and I regularly stream films on Netflix through my Chromebook using Wireless (it has no Ethernet port) and not once has the connection dropped.

Thank you

Darrenoi likes this

13 answers to this question

Are you using Static IP addresses on your home network or DHCP? Maybe an IP conflict,

Have you set up any rules in your firewall? i assume your using windows firewall? Is it just dropping during gaming or when you are just browsing the internet?  if it is just gaming then it maybe something in the exceptions in firewall i.e you can set certain games to be ignored by your firewall etc.

Are you able to set up a local network and see if that drops out and remove the internet connection? 

EDIT - you can also try disabling IPV6  and I read somwhere that Side Scaling can be disabled (go to the adapter properties and go to the advanced tab). Long shots i know! 

Are you using Static IP addresses on your home network or DHCP? Maybe an IP conflict,

Have you set up any rules in your firewall? i assume your using windows firewall? Is it just dropping during gaming or when you are just browsing the internet?  if it is just gaming then it maybe something in the exceptions in firewall i.e you can set certain games to be ignored by your firewall etc.

Are you able to set up a local network and see if that drops out and remove the internet connection? 

EDIT - you can also try disabling IPV6  and I read somwhere that Side Scaling can be disabled (go to the adapter properties and go to the advanced tab). Long shots i know! 

Thanks for your reply Thorz - 

I'm obtaining my IP dynamically via DHCP. I've just disabled IPV6 so I'll give that a go. 

I'm using Windows Firewall and have never really touched it from default. It only really drops during gaming as far as I've noticed, primarily Guild Wars 2 (I cover this game for a living) but it has happened with a few other online games. Having looked on the firewall list, Guild Wars 2 is approved access for Inbound rules.

The fact that it happens over both NIC's is interesting - ie, wireless and wired. It suggests the problem is either kind of TCP/IP related. First thing worth trying is the good old IP and winsock reset;

https://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_ResetWinsock.asp

Another option to rule out some problems with DHCP requests on your machine is to set the IP you get from DHCP statically on the wired NIC. If you have the same [Plusnet] router as me (Technicolour jobbie?) then it will detect the fact you set it statically and won't dish the IP out again (kind of auto-reservation)

The fact that it happens over both NIC's is interesting - ie, wireless and wired. It suggests the problem is either kind of TCP/IP related. First thing worth trying is the good old IP and winsock reset;

https://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_ResetWinsock.asp

Another option to rule out some problems with DHCP requests on your machine is to set the IP you get from DHCP statically on the wired NIC. If you have the same [Plusnet] router as me (Technicolour jobbie?) then it will detect the fact you set it statically and won't dish the IP out again (kind of auto-reservation)

How would I go about setting a static IP on my wired connection? Yes, my PlusNet router is the Technicolor one. 

How would I go about setting a static IP on my wired connection?

First get the details of your current configuration:

1. Windows key + R

2. type cmd

3. At the cmd prompt type ipconfig and press enter.

4. Make a note of the ipv4 address, subnet mask and default Gateway.

Next, set your lan adapter to static IP:

1. Go to the adapter settings (where you went to disable IPV6 . Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Adapter settings or similar).

2. Click on the IPV4 option.

3. Click the "Properties" button.

4. Change from "automatic" to "Use the following address"

5. Type in the values from the CMD window.

6. Click OK

Setting a static IP address has helped me with random disconnection issues in the past. I recall that my Windows XP machine, in particular, was a bugger for failing to reconnect to the internet after dropping connection. Setting to static meant that it didn't have to repeatedly negotiate with the (often crappy) ISP provided router I was using at the time).

It could actually be the Ethernet software drivers.  When I was transferring a few Gb of data over the network my PC would crash.  Turned out the drivers were flaky, this could be the cause of your disconnecting if it's not something you've researched.

Setting a static IP address has helped me with random disconnection issues in the past. I recall that my Windows XP machine, in particular, was a bugger for failing to reconnect to the internet after dropping connection. Setting to static meant that it didn't have to repeatedly negotiate with the (often crappy) ISP provided router I was using at the time).

If you set the IP address in Windows but not the router, don't you risk the router assigning the IP to another device? (I'm not genned up on networking so forgive me if it's a stupid question)

If you set the IP address in Windows but not the router, don't you risk the router assigning the IP to another device? (I'm not genned up on networking so forgive me if it's a stupid question)

In my experience it depends on the router. I've usually done both in the past to avoid IP duplication.

However, I have a Virgin 'super' hub at the moment that loses its DHCP reservations at the drop of a hat, and I have about 50/50 devices with static/assigned IP addresses. The VM hub has never assigned an IP address that I've set to static on a device, so it must be aware of the static IP addresses before it assigns its own from the pool.

edit: Which of course is what Betamax said above, but far more succinctly!

In my experience it depends on the router. I've usually done both in the past to avoid IP duplication.

However, I have a Virgin 'super' hub at the moment that loses its DHCP reservations at the drop of a hat, and I have about 50/50 devices with static/assigned IP addresses. The VM hub has never assigned an IP address that I've set to static on a device, so it must be aware of the static IP addresses before it assigns its own from the pool.

edit: Which of course is what Betamax said above, but far more succinctly!

Christ, I missed about 4 posts in this thread!

It could actually be the Ethernet software drivers.  When I was transferring a few Gb of data over the network my PC would crash.  Turned out the drivers were flaky, this could be the cause of your disconnecting if it's not something you've researched.

It's a good shout, but the thing that steers me away from this is that he has the same issues via a wired and wireless connection. The drivers being used for these different methods will be different. Unless the ethernet controllers happen to be the same manufacturer (but even then i'd guess it's unlikely as the tech is very different)

To me, it sounds like a problem with the TCP/IP stack on the PC, or the router.

I think the router was ruled out so it would be good to set the IP statically (following Nige's instructions above) and testing.

If that fails, do a Winsock/TCP reset. It sounds scary, but think of it like resetting TCP to factory settings. It's something we do a lot in the IT world alongside rebooting PC's.

May not be relevant to the OP's case, but I was having a lot of disconnections a few months back.

It showed itself most when I tried to download a "large" file (>200MB or so).

It would time-out and come back with web page not available.

The last thing I did which appears to have fixed it was to tighten up the coax cables on my VM router.

Not sure if the OPs system has anything similar.

BR
JN

Out of interest, has your problem been fixed and what was the solution?

I am on Virgin Media and it has a co-axial cable from the box-on-the-wall to the MoDem / Router.

I tightened up the connectors up on both ends of the cable.

It may have been a coincidence and it may not be relevant to your installation.

Good luck (I assume you still have the issue...)

BR
JN