Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blaupunkt

Mobile Phones

Question

So my contract is up now and I have been looking at some of the newer phones not really being up on all this I thought I would ask here to see what opinions are.

The phones in my contract price range are as follows, in no perticular order I might add.

Iphone 6

Galaxy S5

HTC One M8

Samsung Note 4

The only thing I really use the phone for other than calling and text is a surfing the net a little, or checking prices at the local cash and carries etc.

I currently have an S3 but for the last year or so its been nothing but a pain in the ass, mainly due to the dodgy charging, some times it will charge fully in a few hours some times it can be on all night and only charge its self 30%, oh and the poor battery life!

It has put me off Samsung a little I must admit.

So any thoughts or ideas on those phones ?

One last thing, I was thinking about getting an iphone 6 mainly so I can tether it to the Ipad, am I right in thinking that is only possible with other apple products.

23 answers to this question

Happy iphone 6 user here. Certainly easy enough to tether to ipad, if you have an Apple TV you can stream to that as well. I've got used to the size difference from the older phones - my ipod looks TINY now - and the screen resolution is impressive, even on the 6 as opposed to 6 plus.

Essentially, though, for me it comes down to ease of use - and the difficulty is, that may well be because I've been using iOS for a long time now. My experience with Android is that it is a bit clunky, but that's likely because I don't use it on a regular basis.

Always worth considering: Get the phone direct from Apple SIM-free, then get a SIM only deal. Over 24 months (typical contract length with a handset) it usually works out cheaper.

Having said that, running the numbers for a 10GB package with Vodafone, the contract actually saves you a bit...

Has anyone on here got a HTC One M8?

I like the look of that phone and want to get away from the shite that is iTunes.

Don't have the One M8 but I do have the Samsung S5. My verdict on that is to avoid....

Not because it's a bad phone - it's a good size and the build quality is improved (+ it's waterproof) but I have to admit to being a previous Sony Z and iphone user and I hate touchwiz. Since the last update to 5.0 my battery just dies...  

Also can you wait a few more weeks? The One M8 successor and the S6 are supposed to launch at the start of March I believe?

Have you also Considered the Sony Xperia Z3?

I have the One M8. Came from Galaxy S3. It is a lovely phone on a par with Apple products with regards to build (metal bodied - though I have mine in a dot view case (which can be a pain because the case front does not fold back round properly and it closes if you let go of it)). Has an SD slot, the camer a is ok but not up to the level of say the S5 (the next model HTC One apparently will have a higher MB camera) though for me the pics come out fine for what I want. Lovely screen battery life is ok for a smartphone (expect to charge it at the end of the day after a good usage). Battery cannot be changed unlike S5 but I have had mine for nearly a year now and no problems (touch wood).

Also. 4G. LOVE IT

1166534301.png

If you thinking about the Note 4 you may want to look at the Nexus 6 if you want to go down the Phablet route.

Hi thanks, the other option I have is the iphone 5s or 5c, both would lower my monthly bill while keeping the same data useage, would also enable me to tether the ipad to, is that phone worth a shout ?

Another very happy iPhone 6 user here, I was debating going to Android with something like a LG G3, OPO or HTC One M8 but found a decent deal one night while trawling through the uswitch site and I'm more than happy.

My main gripe with previous iPhones was the battery life but I'm sat here with 29% having not charged it since sunday night which is a huge improvement on my 5. Only thing I'm not too happy with is limited storage space especially when i could have had a 64gb for only another 4 quid a month (which I didn't realise until I'd received the phone). 

(which I didn't realise until I'd received the phone). 

Isn't there, like, a two week period where you can return the phone if you're not happy?? I would've replaced it.

Isn't there, like, a two week period where you can return the phone if you're not happy?? I would've replaced it.

I think once you've opened it and used it (which I had when I noticed) then it becomes more problematic unfortunately.

Plus the deal i got vanished pretty quickly, along with the 64gb deal.

madwedge likes this

Hi thanks, the other option I have is the iphone 5s or 5c, both would lower my monthly bill while keeping the same data useage, would also enable me to tether the ipad to, is that phone worth a shout ?

Surely you can tether to anything? T'is but WiFi, ain't it?

I know we all used my old S2 on holiday a few years back and the kids have iPhones (bless 'um).

I would just pick a contract and one with an SD card slot.

And as you've had an S4 I would go S5.

BR

JN

Hi, I was under the impression that apple devices would only tether with other apple devices.

I dont mind waiting a couple more weeks to see what else comes out or see if the prices drop on the current phones.

I use my iPhone to tether my work laptop to it all the time. You can tether anything.

Hi, I was under the impression that apple devices would only tether with other apple devices.

I dont mind waiting a couple more weeks to see what else comes out or see if the prices drop on the current phones.

I tether my iPad to my HTC One M8 just fine, so you don't need a Apple product to tether it to.

If you thinking about the Note 4 you may want to look at the Nexus 6 if you want to go down the Phablet route.

+1 (if it's an option for you). I've been using mine for a little over two months now and am absolutely thrilled with it. Very smooth UI and very comfortable to hold, contrary to what most people believe when it comes to phablets; the positioning of the camera means it's weighted in a particular way, resting on your index finger while leaving your thumb free. I've been really impressed by the battery, too. It charges fully in under two hours and only loses about 30% a day with constant usage.

The only downside is it makes other phones look puny.

Using mine for work it's pretty awesome Tbh, constant work usage and it's heavy usage holds its charge well. Only down side is the wireless charging sucks for getting it in the right place.

It is also really big but you'll soon forget that, it's brilliant

I can understand your reasoning. But being radio waves means it's able to leap over the Walled Garden...

:-)

BR

JN

Good choice sir!

Welcome to the light side!

Interestingly, on crunching the numbers again, it looks like a contract might be the way to go for me in October 2016 (iPhone 7 FTW!). Difficult to get an exact comparison between SIM only packages and handset contracts on Vodafone due to different data allowances, but looks like it's at least roughly equivalent.

Once you factor in the NHS discount, that is :D

NHS Discounts FTW :D  :D