Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shogun

PC MoBo + RAM Upgrade/Fix

Question

So over the past few weeks (and years but few and few between) there has been a lot of crashes on the missus system which i think is to do with duff RAM.

When i built the system i was given solid advice (on DW!) that the RAM was compatible with the mobo but after a bit of research it turns out that the type of RAM isn't even on the list of supported types on the Gigabyte website.

I tested both sticks of RAM and it turned out 1 stick is completely dead but 4GB was fine for what the missus uses it for so i left it running with the 1 stick for now.

The problem is i'm not sure if it's worth just upgrading the RAM for now or upgrading both mobo and RAM in a bundle from somewhere to sort of 'future proof' it in a way. With the older i5 i'm not sure a decent enough mobo can be bought for cheap

Here is what i'm working with, any suggestions?

• Intel® Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (Socket 1156 LGA)
  • Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
  • AMD Radeon HD 6870
  • 120GB Samsung Evo SSD

6 answers to this question

what's your budget Shogun?

Also that's an mATX motherboard so is it a small case? Additionally what is the PC used for?

There isn't really a budget, but it's not my PC so the cheaper the better really :P

Something mid-range i guess, it doesn't have to be brand new either, i don't mind second hand so long as it's not been literally kicked out of the case!

It's not a small case, there is plenty of room in it. To be honest i forgot it was an mATX board.

If your missus isn't a massive gamer then i'd say keep the SSD and Geforce, they should be fine for HD movies and her performance needs. I think the main bottleneck you have is the CPU and probably the 1156 board. RAM is fairly cheap so any upgrade to address these two issues is probably going to cost you through the CPU being switched out.

There are probably plenty of options and it depends how much you want to spend. Have you considered a switch to an AMD cpu? A look on the scan bundles shows a few bundle options.

AMD Bundle: (£284.60)

A quad core CPU overclocked, with 8GB RAM OC RAM and a half decent board. The FX 6300 should give a bit of a whack compared to your i5-750 and at a lower power consumption too. The vengeance pro is good too - I have some. 

• AMD FX 6300 Black, quad-core CPU - Professionally overclocked to 4.4GHz
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer A11
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P, AMD 970 Chipset
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz
  • 3 Year Premium Warranty

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/overclocked-custom-gaming-hardware-bundle-am3oc5

Dual Core Intel Bundle: (£274)

Benefit of having a Z97 motherboard so you get a new board with additional usb3 ports, Z97 chipset to support newer Haswell i5/i7 and also broadwell cpus if you want to switch to it later. Throw in an M2 connector for card based SSDs if you choose to upgrade later. In addition there is 8GB of ram (plenty) and the CPU is overclocked. The only downside is it's a dual core cpu.

• Intel Core Pentium G3258 "Haswell Refresh", Dual Core - Profesionally overclocked up to 4.6GHz
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i
  • Asus Z97-P, Intel Z97 Chipset
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz
  • 3 Year Premium Warranty

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/overclocked-custom-gaming-hardware-bundle-87oc5

Away from bundles:

I'm not seeing much new available in the way of new 1156 boards...   so I think you would have to go second hand. When it comes to the mobo i'd avoid that as you just don't know how well looked after the board is and it will probably still cost you £30 for a second hand one when some are available at a little more than that new with the benefits of newer tech. Again it comes down to the cost of then having to switch out the CPU. If you want to go Intel and want to stick with Quad core as you currently have then can I suggest the following (going for the cheapest options using scan as a reference):

• Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 - Z97 (£63)
  • Intel Core i5 4460 S (little to no overclock potential) - £150
  • Corsair vengeance Pro 2400Mhz (OC) (8GB 2x4GB) - £68
  • CPU fan: Stock but probably something better can be had for just £20
  • Total: £301 (including Fan £20)

Prices are from scan and if you shop about a bit you might get them cheaper. An improved base clock on the 2.67GHz cpu you have to a 3.2GHz base and a turbo to 3.6Ghz on the i5 4460 with lower power consumption. This set up allows potential to upgrade in the future and is compatible with some new broadwell cpus that will be coming (as it is Z97). 

The RAM, to be fair you could go for something more stock / cheaper such as this for £53 saving £15:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-lp-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v 

Just some suggestions - might be worth getting some feedback from others who have also helped me recently.

Sorry i should have said that she only uses it for photo/image editing in Photoshop, emails, web browsing, social media...you know the general shit women do.

Hmm, from the prices i think i'd just be better swapping out the RAM for now and saving up for a new mobo/cpu in a few months. I'd rather not spend £250+ atm if i didn't have to.

Thanks for the help 2ney! :)

Probably the best option.... if that's the only use make it last as long as possible and look to upgrade when it really does need it. I probably should have said just upgrade the RAM as an option but for some reason thought you were set on getting rid of the motherboard *doh*.

By the time you come round to a new build the current infrastructure will probably be cheaper anyway.

It was more to weigh up the options if it was a cheap alternative to do a bigger upgrade but i don't thinknit's worth it atm.

I'll just get some new RAM for the time being, but get some decent stuff which will work well in a newer board too :)

2ney likes this