Sign in to follow this  
2ney

mPCIE

Question

Right the one thing I hate about my motherboard is that it comes with an mPCIE port but no card...   (unlike the ITX versions).

So as I only have one PCIe slot I am looking to put in an mPCIE card for wifi (use wired at the moment but just in case). I can find a card easily (Intel AC-7260) for £20 but what I can't seem to find out is what cables I would need to attach to it so I can pop the antennae on???

Why don't I stick in a PCIe card? Well I was considering putting a Sound Blaster Z in when I get a new headset in the future....  even if I don't I would still like the option..

Any ideas on the cables I would need?

5 answers to this question

Don't the antenna just screw into the back of the card? All the WiFi cards I've installed do this.

Unfortunately not.... mPCIE is a laptop focused slot but ASUS has a tendency to stick it on mATX and ITX boards. There should be two cables attached to it that then go a small way to two hole cut outs on the backplate so you can put the antennae on....

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to come with the cables / antennae and I can't find any compatible at the moment.

Talk to Solwise - tell them I sent you if you like.

http://solwise.co.uk/wireless-cable.htm

I never use internal wifi cards because A) they're a pain in the arse and B) You've always got the potential problem of the case interfering with the wifi. Much easier to get a USB adapter you can just unplug and replug at will - you can get them with detachable antenna options as well, so there's no real issue.

Thanks Gav..... I might take you point about a USB dongle.... are they just as good as I remember back in the day (pre-N) they were crap!

If not I will definitely take the option of solwise..

Yeah, they're fine - I used to buy these teeny tiny ones from Solwise but they've stopped doing them now 'cos they're cheaper on ebay!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIFI-USB-MINI-150Mbps-WIRELESS-ADAPTER-802-11-N-G-B-LAN-NETWORK-DONGLE-ADAPTOR-/201195973483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ed836eb6b

I've always found them to be perfectly good, though as I say, I have limited experience of the internal cards.