Sign in to follow this  
gavpowell

2500K - Still A Great Gaming Chip?

Question

I'm trying to put together a gaming machine from a load of components I got from someone, with the agreement I would either agree a price before selling or wait until it sold and then split the proceeds with him.

The CPU is a 2500K, and I know it was a beast of a chip, but it's a few generations old now and I've never actually used one, so I don't know if it;s still capable of running whatever someone throws at it.

Any thoughts?

9 answers to this question

Yes absolutely! My rig is still using a 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz and, twinned with my GTX 770, can run pretty much everything at max! Still going strong after 3 years.

As you say it's a beast of a chip.

I forget offhand, as I bought the board ages ago. Asus mATX as I recall, but the model escapes me. I shan't push it too far - maybe to 4Ghz. I suspect the GPU will be more relevant to most games but still didn't like to sell something as a "gaming PC" if the CPU wasn't up to the job.

Having said that, I looked at Cyberpower's website earlier and they're selling "4th Generation Intel Gaming PCs" with Celerons, which strikes me as dishonest.

The 4.5GHz is the bottom of the overclocking scale these chips can be pushed to. The guide I read to overclock it initially said you can pretty much go straight to 4.5GHz. then if you want to push it go up in small increments. A few people I know who use that chip on a Facebook Computers group are running at 4.8GHz. With Liquid Cooling you can push it to 5.0GHz!

This is the guide I followed, which was handy as it was the specific chip, and my specific Motherboard I'm using.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18338090

Google the chip and your specific motherboard and you may get lucky with a similar guide. Do try 4.5GHz though. You'll know if it doesn't work as it either wont boot, or if it does and you run Prime95 you'll get run errors pop up. Have fun playing with setting though, I do love this chip and I'll only ever upgrade it if it dies!

Edit - Just trying to remember as it was over 3 years ago, but that link above, I think, was the first method I tried. After a while I tried this method to overclock which seemed easier.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5

Intel chips haven't had any major overhauls since 2nd generation Core processors (like the 2500k).  You're maybe looking at ~ 5% performance from 2nd gen (sandy bridge) to 3rd gen (ivy bridge) and again from ivy bridge to haswell, so maybe ~10-15% performance increase clock for clock since the 2500k.

A current gen chip running around 4.1Ghz would probably net the same performance as a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

Obviously the main aim for the last couple of years has been power reduction, not performance increase.

Intel chips haven't had any major overhauls since 2nd generation Core processors (like the 2500k).  You're maybe looking at ~ 5% performance from 2nd gen (sandy bridge) to 3rd gen (ivy bridge) and again from ivy bridge to haswell, so maybe ~10-15% performance increase clock for clock since the 2500k.

A current gen chip running around 4.1Ghz would probably net the same performance as a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

Is this still true? I'm putting together a spec for a new PC for someone, who has said "I'd probably like to play games on the new one, but I've no specific ideas about what games at the moment"

They want to spend around £600, so I'd be looking to cost it around 500. Is a 2500K a good idea to buy new, or should I be looking at current-generation stuff?

The 2500K is still an amazing chip. Mine is still running strong. However socket 1155 is pretty obsolete now. Coupled with motherboards for socket 1155 generally aren't PCIe 3.0. Mine isn't but newer ones are.

I'd look for a newer socket 1150 setup to be fair. Ideally Haswell. The only way you'd probably be able to get hold of a 2500K is second hand.

Edit - However, if you do want to go the older/cheaper route, I have a never used Socket 1155 Motherboard I can sell you if interested? This one is actually a PCeI 3.0 board. I forget the model number but it's a Gigabyte board.

I bought it originally to replace my one I'm using now, however I never got round to it. Mine is fine however (I've posted previously about this) it sometimes has this lag when booting up. I've just lived with it. I bought this new motherboard about 18 months ago but never took it out of its packaging. Will be happy to sell you it since it's never going to be used by me!

OK, so I';ve assembled a rough spec for a Haswell, though it's gone overbudget at £557.31, I think due to the GPU. If I can substitute a lesser GPU without wrecking performance, please advise :)

KINGSTON-VALUERAM-2DIMMS_BasketImage.png

Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

• Est. 3-5 Day Delivery
  • Order for Pickup in 2-4 Days
CCL Code: RAM2696
£38.56 £38.56 dSkdGETSHlGpsDtoiO1wBA-3d-3d_BasketImage

Antec VP600P 600W Power Supply

• Est. 3-5 Day Delivery
  • Order for Pickup in 2-4 Days
CCL Code: PSU0745
£44.74 £44.74 1EUcdZqFK3yQw3lhBg305A-3d-3d_BasketImage

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: HDD1605
£37.97 £37.97 DVDBlack_BasketImage.jpg

CCL Choice DVD Writer Optical Drive

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: CDR0150
£9.66 £9.66 WIN7HP-64BIT_BasketImage.png

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 - 64-bit DVD (OEM)

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: SFT0066
£74.95 £74.95 GV-N960IXOC-2GD_CandB_BasketImage.png

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics Card

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: VGA2795
£149.98 £149.98 YpwAQpC2CS-2fu-2fECVeANVAw-3d-3d_BasketI

Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: MBD1320
£36.67 £36.67 csgiggzma02_BasketImage.jpg

Gigabyte GZ-MA02 Black Mini Tower Case

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: CAS0994
£14.53 £14.53 h-2bA3vhpyDC2rMtkg9z-2fKlQ-3d-3d_BasketI

Intel Core i5-3340 3.1GHz Quad Core (Socket 1155)

• In Stock for 2-3 Day Delivery
  • Order for Pickup in 1-2 Days
CCL Code: CPU0236
£142.02 £142.02 50JrBLzpVx848Z-2f8ZoRU-2bw-3d-3d_BasketI

Dynamode BT-USB-M2 Compact Bluetooth USB Adaptor

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: NET0186
£2.24 £2.24