Sign in to follow this  
2ney

Headset and Sound card

Question

Ok... so hopefully the last of the questions I have about buying stuff!

My PC build is done, I've been paid again since and I have decided to tweak it a bit more. When I first built it I decided to opt for the Maximus Gene vii motherboard, which comes with a SupremeImpact FX II asus screw in card for the on-board audio (it seems ok so far - good on front port as it reduces EMI). I decided with my build to get rid of my 2.1 Creative audio speakers as the majority of the time I use my headset, an old Creative Fatal1ty one (it's shit but I've had it for years).  

As I have had it so long I've decided to go down the route of a new headset, and possibly Sound card (a Sound Blaster Z seems the best option). I'm a bit confused though with what headset to go for. Most magazines tend to recommend the HyperX Cloud ... but some gamers seem to hate the fact it doesn't come with 7.1 software enhanced sound...

If I go down the route of 7.1 most come with Sound Cards built into the usb port.... making it worthless getting the Z in most respects.

So my question is - what do you use / recommend?

38 answers to this question

Soundblaster Z as a card - no question. It is markedly better than using a USB headset. I've paired mine with a set of these: Sennheiser G4ME ONE PC Gaming Headset - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JQDOALC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zG47ub0MZM0CV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JQDOALC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zG47ub0MZM0CV

Although mine is white, and that's pricier than the HyperX, it gives phenomenal performance. Scout mode has to be seen (well - heard) to be believed, and certainly gives an advantage in online FPS.

I just use the onboard sound on my motherboard. That's 7.1 surround.

Unless you're a complete audiophile I wouldn't bother personally.

I just use the onboard sound on my motherboard. That's 7.1 surround.

Unless you're a complete audiophile I wouldn't bother personally.

You sir are talking bollocks. :P

It makes a massive difference, I made the switch a few years ago and have the same set up as Andy (although my Senn's are the earlier MANLIER - ie not GAY WHITE - black headphones) and FUCK ME - game changer.

I would NEVER go back.

As Andy says the Scout Mode is almost like a cheat in certain circumstances, you can hear exactly where an enemy is running from and geddem. And the online FPS Andy refers to is BF4 man  :D

Ok thanks everyone........ 

So I am convinced on the Sound Blaster Z.... Are the Sennheisers worth the extra £60 on the Hyper X Cloud 2 (which gives you the option of USB and 3.6mm)?

So I am convinced on the Sound Blaster Z.... Are the Sennheisers worth the extra £60 on the Hyper X Cloud 2 (which gives you the option of USB and 3.6mm)?

Yes dude. Andy, me and Sobtanian all have them. Coupled with the sound blaster card they are brilliant.

Guaranteed you will be blown away.

Really comfortable as well and they are well built - no problems so far and I have had mine for a couple of years now.

Problem with the HyperX Cloud 2 is the 3.5mm jack - it's a combined headphone/mic jack, which would be fine with PS4, but I don't think the Soundblaster z will take a jack like that :(

With the Senns, if you pay closer to the RRP you can get FABULOUS white ones. That £130 for the black version is astonishingly good.

Oh, and Al ACTUALLY has the dated old Sennheiser PC360 headset - kind of a primitive version of mine...

Thanks all.... Decided the 7.1 stuff was just fluff and went for the more rounded option of the sound blaster z with the black G4ME ONE headset!

Comes Monday, can't wait!

Other than the normal buyer's remorse (although that may be just me) you won't regret it. The Soundblaster will sort your surround sound effects nicely, and the voice changer in the software is always good for a giggle. I'm a big fan of the "unstable" voice effect :D

You sir are talking bollocks.

It makes a massive difference, I made the switch a few years ago and have the same set up as Andy (although my Senn's are the earlier MANLIER - ie not GAY WHITE - black headphones) and FUCK ME - game changer.

I would NEVER go back.

Perhaps you'd like to squeeze more aggression into your opinion, to make sure Mr Wedge learns not to dare express his in the future?;)

Personally, I've used onboard sound since it's been available to me, and it has made very little difference to me whatsoever. I only recently discovered the significant difference in sound quality between a pair of cheap desktop speakers and a 2.1 kit, but as I never listen to music, turn off in-game music and don't really notice in-game sound except for dialogue, I'm still pretty content.

I bought a Creative Fatal1ty headset in a sale a few years back, but I don't like ear cans, so never used it. Still using cheap, nasty speakers :D

Perhaps you'd like to squeeze more aggression into your opinion, to make sure Mr Wedge learns not to dare express his in the future? ;)

Fixed that with a lovely smillie, hopefully Adam knows me well enough to realise I am not being aggressive (even though I do have anger management problems in real life)  :D

Thanks all.... Decided the 7.1 stuff was just fluff and went for the more rounded option of the sound blaster z with the black G4ME ONE headset!

Comes Monday, can't wait!

I don't want to over hype it, but here's a bit of advice I got when I made the same upgrade.

Play BF4 for a bit and some music on your existing system

Then fit the sound card and use the Senn's and be prepared to be blown away. As Andy says you will not regret it!

Fuck you, man!!

Nah I know you were kidding. To be fair it's made me realise I've always neglected the sound on my computer. I have quite an expensive gaming rig and I'm using some crappy £20 2.1 speakers plugged into the sound ports on my motherboard.

So I say that you won't notice unless you're an Audiophile, but truth is it's because I don't know any better.

Prob something I should address at some point!

Do it man. I thank the lord Sob persuaded me to change - biggest difference I have experience in gaming.

I remember playing BF3 using them and it was almost overwhelming in a sensory overload.

It's the sheer difference that makes me evangelical whenever anyone says "yeah well onboard sound is fine". I thought that on my previous system that I spent £2k to build, until I got the Soundblaster and the Senn's and I was just blown away!

Something to look in to definitely. Except, with a house move going on and a baby on the way, it might not be the best time! Haha

I was a naysayer of add in  sound cards, thinking my on board was fine and dandy. Then i bought a sound card anyway :P  and even for me, who is not an audiophile the difference was well worth it. The sounds in games are just enhanced, i now have sound effects coming through that my onboard either wasnt processing or they just got lost in the fog of other sounds. Deffo a convert to sound cards now!

The SoundBlaster Z is here.....  

and the windows clicking sound has never been so good!

I am seriously impressed even on my cr*p headset. I used to have an Asus Xonar DX on my old pc (I thought it was a good card but plagued by shitty drivers which meant you couldn't use some features without it crashing games).

It seems the Z is far superior. Worth the £60... now I just need to figure out how I can stop the card moving about so much in the slot (fault of the case as you don't screw the expansion cards in)!

Edit: Thanks all for the feedback.. 

Edited by 2ney

It is awesome when the rest of my case theme is red and black (red ram, red and black mobo, red LED on H100...

:D

On a slight side note what settings does anyone have in BF4 with one of these..... War chest / Hifi / Headphones??? With surround I assume?

I can hear things in BF4 I've never heard before. .

It is awesome when the rest of my case theme is red and black (red ram, red and black mobo, red LED on H100...

:D

On a slight side note what settings does anyone have in BF4 with one of these..... War chest / Hifi / Headphones??? With surround I assume?

I can hear things in BF4 I've never heard before. .

So pleased for you dude.

I just checked my audio settings - there are set to Headphones and Surround. 

Tried Scout Mode yet (setting in Soundblaster Control Panel)?

Cheers, and cheers for all the help...

Scout sound better for FPS, definitely, although I don't think I will hear the full benefit until the better headset comes tomorrow...

Been reading through this thread and thinking of buying the Sounblaster Z to replace my onboard chip, a couple of questions if you can help me out.

I have a pair of Logitech Z10 speakers which have a built in chip when connected via usb, I can bypass the speakers' chip using an analog 3.5mm connection, would the sound quality be improved? (I appreciate the speakers would be a limiting factor)

Secondly can I connect both speakers and a headset to the card at the same time or would it be a case of swapping inputs when I was using headset.

Finally can the card be connected to the outputs on the front of my case (which would solve the above issue)

Thanks

Thanks Andy, did you have to do anything to the motherboard connectors to use the front panel outputs?

Hi Paulod,

Your case should have a HD Aduio / Audio connector with 9 pins (10 pin space, 1 pin isn't there) which is probably currently plugged in to the motherboard. You would need to pop that connector off and into the Sound Blaster Z at the back. 

It will then send the audio from the f/panel via the SoundBlaster Z.