Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2ney

Headset and Sound card

Question

Ok... so hopefully the last of the questions I have about buying stuff!

My PC build is done, I've been paid again since and I have decided to tweak it a bit more. When I first built it I decided to opt for the Maximus Gene vii motherboard, which comes with a SupremeImpact FX II asus screw in card for the on-board audio (it seems ok so far - good on front port as it reduces EMI). I decided with my build to get rid of my 2.1 Creative audio speakers as the majority of the time I use my headset, an old Creative Fatal1ty one (it's shit but I've had it for years).  

As I have had it so long I've decided to go down the route of a new headset, and possibly Sound card (a Sound Blaster Z seems the best option). I'm a bit confused though with what headset to go for. Most magazines tend to recommend the HyperX Cloud ... but some gamers seem to hate the fact it doesn't come with 7.1 software enhanced sound...

If I go down the route of 7.1 most come with Sound Cards built into the usb port.... making it worthless getting the Z in most respects.

So my question is - what do you use / recommend?

Darrenoi likes this

38 answers to this question

Cheers for the info 2ney.

I'll get an order placed today, no doubt will be upgrading my headset soon

2ney likes this

Yeah not sure I could justify 190 quid for them, looked on camelcamelcamel and they seem to be dropping down quite regulary of late so I'll just wait for the next drop.

Worth getting them - they are great! I heard a crash and thought the house was coming down!!

Unfortunately I can't enjoy them yet as I have damaged my ears via Barotrauma on a flight 2 days ago... :(

they're quire tight around the head (no more so than any others I have had) but they are very comfortable and cup my ears nicely. I haven't had anything like headaches etc.. like some have induced in the past, despite wearing them for long periods of time.

Overall worth a buy - especially if you can get them on offer at the price I did c£130

I've gone for the Hyperx Cloud headset rather than the sennheisers, they seem to get very good reviews and I couldn't justify the £190 price tag or wait till they dropped again.

Probably won't get round to installing card till next week due to vagaries of delivery and upcoming weekend away.

Will give a brief review once I get round to it.

I've gone for the Hyperx Cloud headset rather than the sennheisers, they seem to get very good reviews and I couldn't justify the £190 price tag or wait till they dropped again.

Probably won't get round to installing card till next week due to vagaries of delivery and upcoming weekend away.

Will give a brief review once I get round to it.

Or maybe longer as I was sent the OEM card instead of the retail one :(

Edit to avoid triple post. The headset arrived yesterday very well packaged and a huge step up from my fatal1ty hs 800's even with on-board sound. The soundblaster z should be there today depending on amazon prime of course. Well pleased with my choice so far.

2ney likes this

Sounds good Paulod - I nearly went for those and they did have exceptional reviews... 

Just curious, but does it matter that you got sent the OEM version?

Sounds good Paulod - I nearly went for those and they did have exceptional reviews... 

They are really good, by far the best I've owned and really comfortable. I got the original ones as I didn't need the usb connection of the Cloud 2 which seems to bypass the card. Plugged into the Soundblaster Z they are superb, obviously I can't directly compare with the Sennheisers but I'm more than happy with them, thanks for mentioning them as that's what got me looking at them.

Just curious, but does it matter that you got sent the OEM version?

Yep the OEM version doesn't have the EMI shield (which may not make any difference to be fair) but far more importantly it doesn't have the pretty little lights on it  ;)

2ney likes this

Oh I see. That weird. I always thought OEM just meant you got the product, but none of the pretty packaging or manuals etc.

Yep that's what I always thought, but this one is ever so slightly stripped back as well.