Sign in to follow this  
burp

Website archive

Question

What's the EASIEST way to create an archive of old news on a website?

My knowledge allows me to play around with HTML and CSS to do what I want, any back end database work or scripting is beyond my capability.

So if you wanted to create an archive for older news entries such as at the bottom of this page

http://www.bit-tech.net/

where you have the 1,2,3,4 etc buttons for old news. So that when you enter new news artcles the old ones automatically get pushed back down the pages. How do you do this?

I fear it's going to be too difficult for me but if anyone knows an easy way or a site which has the software to achieve this, paid or otherwsie, can you let me know. 

Ta.

10 answers to this question

Yeah it'll be too hard for you to build from scratch.

Look into CMS systems with blogs, or just stright up Wordpress if it's for news/blogs with archives.

Wordpress is probably the best and the worst to choose from, but it gives you a startibg point to search from. At work atm but if you need more examples tgem i can throw a few more at you tonight :)

I tried working with Joomla once before and it was the most frustrating thing I have ever done, mainly because I couldn't work out where anything was and it seemed to be put together in the most illogical manner imaginable.

I swore to stay away from CMS's ever since.

This is for a website, rather than a blog.

Joomla and Drupal are very similar in that they are more of a CMS framework than an actual straight out of the box solutions. You have modules/plugins which you have to configure and program to get them to work. It's not as straight forward as the websites make them out to be to be honest.

There are others which work our of the box (like Wordpress), but are limited in features. If you could code then it would be worthwhile mentioning them otherwise they would just baffle you.

For a news website (or a blog, they both work in the same way) you are best to start with Wordpress. The back end is a doddle, you can have posts for each news article, archive (or pagination as it's commonly called) older news posts, static pages for any content you wish, multiple authors, (multiple blogs on 1 install of Wordpress if you wish), and plugins are actually plugins. When you click 'Install' and they are there all set up and ready to go without any coding, and very little configuration.

It is set up and ready to use in 5 mins and since you already know HTML/CSS then the sky's the limit with it.

You can even turn it into a e-commerce shop, or a bulletin board/social network (BuddyPress if you're interested :)), or just a flat website with static pages, it really is that flexible.

Please stop me if i'm teaching you how to suck eggs though :P

Please stop me if i'm teaching you how to suck eggs though :P

Not at all mate. I think I installed Wordpress once and played with it but couldn't work out how to install a theme (despite following the instructions) and lost interest. I want something that's simple to maintain but not so simple that I can't tweak it to look/do what I want. Sounds like this is probably the way forward so I think i'll have to have another go with it. 

If I use a theme can I still play around with it if I want different elements in different places?

I know Wordpress this is supposed to be good for noobs and I guess I like doing things the way I currently do as I know what I'm doing. I use website templates and then play around with the CSS and HTML to get them to look how I want. Can I do the same thing with Wordpress?

I know Wordpress this is supposed to be good for noobs and I guess I like doing things the way I currently do as I know what I'm doing. I use website templates and then play around with the CSS and HTML to get them to look how I want. Can I do the same thing with Wordpress?

You can create your own skins etc for Wordpress - a bloke on our boxing forum used to make some gorgeous-looking websites that turned out to be wordpress with his own design integrated into it. It's the only time I've ever needed to be tol something was Wordpress.

I prefer to use plain old HTML and CSS. You can control everything extremely easy and no stupid back end coding to fudge up the page :)

Installing a theme is very easy now, it's just a simple drag and drop through FTP or (i think) you can just search/upload/install through the backend now. Everything can be edited through the back end or (i recommend this tbh) editing the files directly.

Give me a shout if you need help with it :)

Now that I've tried this (Wordpress) I've run into the same problem I did before, I just don't get it.

I install it, I create a new entry and it works, fine. But if I download and activate a new theme it just looks nothing like the screenshot did. Columns are missing, headings are missing, it's just not the same.

if I download a html/css template and open the homepage it looks exactly like it did in the screenshot/demo.

Is there like an idiot's guide, because everything I read seems to be overly complicated and Wordpress is supposed to be easy.

i found it a lot easier to build a theme from scratch, just a very simple and basic theme, to get used to everything Wordpress had to offer before i went in and ploped in a bought theme. Then i knew what i was actually looking at and was able to modify it :)

I'm sure i still have my Wordpress links folder somewhere, let me see if i can dig some links out for ya that might help (will be tomorrow night now tho)