Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulod

Wifi speeds

Question

I'm sure there must be an obvious reason for this but my wireless devices - iphone 6, ipad air, nook Hd+, Kindle Fire etc - all max out at around 20Mbps on speedtest whereas my wired connection is around 106Mbps.

I'm on Virgin Media and use there own 'Superhub' for wireless connections, should I be getting higher wireless speeds, have I missed something, is the superhub only capable of 20Mbps?

4 answers to this question

Unlike wired ethernet, which has little overhead and can deliver your data at more than 90 percent of the so-called PHY layer’s rating, wireless communications need a lot more error correction. Most of the data zipping across your wireless link isn’t your data, but background chit-chat propping up the system. In fact, a fraction is your data; the rest is housekeeping.

So the ‘300Mbps’ printed so clearly on your router’s box often translates into 100Mbps, or much less, of real data throughput - still assuming two antennae, in ideal conditions.

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/network-wifi/3377528/truth-about-wireless-speeds/

Cheers for that, I wasn't expecting the full 100Mbps though I was expecting it to be lower.

What puzzles me is that every item gets pretty much exactly 20Mbps, dropping slightly the further away from the router, so I was thinking maybe it's a router issue/ setting.

Possibly. I'm not too sure. Might be some cap/limitation setting. I'm sure others will be of more help. I'm pretty useless when it comes to router settings!