Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulod

Wifi speeds

Question

I'm sure there must be an obvious reason for this but my wireless devices - iphone 6, ipad air, nook Hd+, Kindle Fire etc - all max out at around 20Mbps on speedtest whereas my wired connection is around 106Mbps.

I'm on Virgin Media and use there own 'Superhub' for wireless connections, should I be getting higher wireless speeds, have I missed something, is the superhub only capable of 20Mbps?

4 answers to this question

Unlike wired ethernet, which has little overhead and can deliver your data at more than 90 percent of the so-called PHY layer’s rating, wireless communications need a lot more error correction. Most of the data zipping across your wireless link isn’t your data, but background chit-chat propping up the system. In fact, a fraction is your data; the rest is housekeeping.

So the ‘300Mbps’ printed so clearly on your router’s box often translates into 100Mbps, or much less, of real data throughput - still assuming two antennae, in ideal conditions.

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/network-wifi/3377528/truth-about-wireless-speeds/

Cheers for that, I wasn't expecting the full 100Mbps though I was expecting it to be lower.

What puzzles me is that every item gets pretty much exactly 20Mbps, dropping slightly the further away from the router, so I was thinking maybe it's a router issue/ setting.

Possibly. I'm not too sure. Might be some cap/limitation setting. I'm sure others will be of more help. I'm pretty useless when it comes to router settings!

Solved it, there was an advanced setting which limited wifi to 54Mbps, changed it to 300 and much much faster speeds now :)

mus422 and madwedge like this