Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThorZ

New PC for my mum!

Question

Guys, 

My mum currently has a Net Top and its not really cutting the mustard for her, what I want to do is get here something more powerful that is going to last her for a good long time so the ideal specs:

CPU: i5 or better

RAM:8GB or better

HD: SSD & Normal Storage HD

GFX: Has to support duel monitors

Monitor: IF possible two 19" or bigger widescreen monitors nothing fancy at all though

Case: Has to be small form i.e cube shuttle style as room is limited

Budget is £800 maybe a little more and i should be able to get it VAT free. It needs to be able to support normal browsing, word processing and very minor image editing. Want some longevity out of it as much as that's possible with computers now days, needs warranty etc so pre CUSTOM built as i cant support my mum as she lives over 100 miles away, and im not building it myself because it will likely blow up 

Cheers

Chris 

14 answers to this question

What the hell is she going to use 8GB RAM and an i5 for?? I understand the idea of longevity, but grossly overspeccing strikes me more as a waste of money than anything else. I really wouldn't advise prebuilt if you're looking for longevity either - the majority of mass-produced machines I see are using cheap, nasty motherboards and PSUs. I think you'd be better off getting something custom-built so as to guarantee the use of proper components and allow a full upgrade path. And that's before you get to any of the bloatware from HP/Lenovo/Acer etc.

And support is only really going to be software for the most part(and most places don't offer software warranties, only hardware), so remote-access should be more than adequate - I've supplied machines to people in Scotland and London and on the rare occasions hardware repairs have been required, I've just booked a 48-hour courier to collect and return.

If you insist on prebuilt, all I can suggest is Zoostorm, who seem to make acceptable prebuilt machines, or someone like CCL, but I honestly think you'd get better value for money either building it yourself or getting from a proper system builder.

Sorry i meant custom built just not by myself. Again i went over the top for a reason so i dont need to replace in in a very long time. Also im pretty sure 8GB is standard now days

Oh fine! 8GB isn't exactly standard but not uncommon purely because RAM is dirt cheap, I've just never been a fan of spending more money than is absolutely necessary, even if it's just a couple of quid.

Whereabouts does your mum live? CCL are in Bradford but obviously the closer the supplier is to her, the shorter turnaround. In theory anyway.

I've just quickly customised a CCL system to upgrade to a proper PSU and add an SSD and Win8:

http://www.cclonline.com/page/customise/CCL-INT-HIGH1/

Alpha Supremacy System

• Intel 4th Generation Core i5 (4460) 3.2GHz Quad Core Processor 6MB L3 Cache (Boxed)
  • 2x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Non-ECC 240-pin DIMM Memory Module SR x8
  • Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H S1150 B85 MATX VGA+SND+GLN+U3 SATA 6GB/S DDR3 IN
  • Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm 3.5" Internal SATA III Hard Drive
  • MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 2GB Graphics Card
  • CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Inwin Z638 Micro ATX Screwless Black Case
  • Antec VPF550 550W Power Supply 80 Plus Bronze
  • 3 Year Collect & Return warranty
  • ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps PCI-E Wireless card,
  • Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit DVD OEM

£583.30 inc VAT

Win 7 is a must she will probably have a heart attack at windows 8. Monitors included if possible but not essential as i can give here two odd monitors id just rather not. 

Gav - she lives in a small village near Stratford Upon Avon

Yeah I'll get it delivered to my work and then take it to her.

I'd also opt for an aftermarket cpu cooler, only because the stock one is loud and shit...  but it would round the price gav had up to £600.

I don't know about the CPU cooler. Internet browsing wouldn't cause the CPU any stress for the cooler to get up to speed. Obviously your choice but I wouldn't bother. They're relatively cheap anyway for a half decent one.

I tried mine before I put the pump on and I thought it was loud and useless...     although it did turn out I had that voltage issue. 

There is a point on the browsing though I suppose!

I suppose it depends what you're used to and how good your hearing is. The only thing that ever bothers me from a PC is light rather than noise - if the LEDs are flickering in the corner of my eye, I'll cover them with tape or they'll annoy me!

I have a question, how much image editing would she do? I recently got my dad a chromebook (his English skill is around Elementary as he's a Chinese migrant) and for web browsing it works like a champ. They've got a Chromebox for sale for around £120 and basically if she was only doing web browsing and word docs then I'd say go for that (I think Adobe are working on some kind of browser based image editor but others are available). Don't get me wrong, you could easily build a NUC for that budget (£800) but the question is, is it worth it?

Well she is starting to actually use more image editing stuff now i shown her the way of the world, and its really to build something that wont slow down for a long time i need to get back on this  though now im back.