al4omega

Replacing Motherboard?

Question

My son's gaming PC is a bit sickly.

It's been playing up for ages - freezing, failing to boot, failing to recognise HDD's (even though when removed and placed in a HDD caddy they work absolutely fine).

I think the motherboard has had it.

Its a XFX nForce 790i Socket 775 3 way SLI 1600FSB DDR3 onboard audio ATX Motherboard

So, I plan to replace it with one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-G41M-COMBO-SKT-775-Motherboard-Rev/dp/B0041IWCNU/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1426880768&sr=8-1&keywords=lga+775+motherboard

Will this mean I have to reinstall windows?

6 answers to this question

Wait a mo - before you dash off and buy a new motherboard, have you tried checking it's not the SATA cables? That would account for it working in the caddy but not on the board.

However, if you do buy a new board, the answer is "Hypothetically, yes" - but there are various tools you can use to force the Windows installation to adapt to the new hardware. PAragon Hard Disk Manager has a bootable CD feature called P2P adjust OS, which works wonderfully.

I switched from an MSI motherboard to a Gigabyte one without reinstalling.  I did have to reactivate windows though.  Also both motherboards were based on the P43 chipset which may have helped.

Wait a mo - before you dash off and buy a new motherboard, have you tried checking it's not the SATA cables? That would account for it working in the caddy but not on the board.

Definitely worth checking/changing the cables.  In the past I wasted days trying to fix/recover drives that turned out to be just the cable.  Now it's the first thing I do if something comes up.

Yeah thanks guys I did check the leads and swapped them around, using the ones I knew worked.

So took the lead from the DVD that had been working and swapped it for the existing one and no difference.

Swapped the sata connections around as well and the results I had indicated that several of the sata connections on the mobo are fudged.

As a bit of a back story this was the third mobo - first was DOA (oh how I cried), next failed completely within warranty and was returned..