Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gavpowell

The Great PC Clearout - Version 3?

Question

Or is it four? I can't remember.

Anyway, the time has once again arrived for me to look round my office/shop/workshop in utter despair at the state of the place, and resolve to once again purge all the rubbish I've accumulated in the time since the last purge, which was about 4 years ago.

I have far too much stuff to list here, so I'm just going to openly say if anyone is looking for something in particular, post it here and I'll see if I have one. If so, depending on the relative worth, you can have it for free plus postage, or very cheap plus postage.

I have a good 30 or so towers ranging from the Pentium 1 era right up to the Core2Duo, which can be stripped for parts as required or sent out wholesale. Or collected, if you fancy a jaunt to East Yorkshire.

I've got bags of DDR 1 and 2, hundreds of kettle leads, various laptops ranging in age from 20 to about 5 years old, an assortment of 15 and 17" flatscreens etc. etc.

Printers, scanners, copiers etc. are lying around in abundance, largely because I've been given them and not bothered to test them because I can buy new printers with cartridges at 35 quid.

I have a box containing about 200 ink cartridges for all sorts of printers, and I have about a mile and a quarter of ethernet cable on reels.

For some reason I even have some 3.5" discs.

As soon as I can feasibly dispose of the older stuff, it's going, so if you fancy a PCI sound card or a Pentium 4, you've got perhaps a week to pull the trigger.

23 answers to this question

Might be interested in a laptop.  Could do with something to connect up to my dj equipment (via usb) for recording purposes using Audacity.  I'm currently using the wifes Samsung N130 netbook which struggles a little with the task.  Do you have anything that might be suitable?  It wouldn't be used for much else.

I have a few laptops that are effectively unsaleable for silly reasons - one has no sound drivers for Win7, the other has a faulty speaker. If those are things you could work around, I could certainly do you one of them very cheap. I think they're Core2 or similar.

djmagnifique likes this

What rating is the ethernet cable? I'll probably be after quite a lot for the new house I'm buying. I'd like to get various rooms all networked up. In a perfect world I'd be after about 100 meters of cat 6e cable. Thanks

I have a few laptops that are effectively unsaleable for silly reasons - one has no sound drivers for Win7, the other has a faulty speaker. If those are things you could work around, I could certainly do you one of them very cheap. I think they're Core2 or similar.

It's not going to be used online and I have a copy of windows XP I can put on so shouldn't be an issue.  Can you PM me the models, prices and what the silly issues are with then when you get a chance.

It's 5E - I didn't know there WAS a 6E! I bought 15 boxes of the stuff at auction for about 20 quid, and just need to get shut of it for a small profit.

Yeah 5e is more used for 10 and 100 Mb/s speeds whereas 6 and 6e is rated for Gigabit speeds. With 6a rated for up to 10 Gb/s speeds!  6 is more the standard nowadays for futureproofing etc.

Although apparently 5e is rated for 1 Gb/s speeds it's not great at it.  Thanks though.

PCI Sounds cards. Any specific make/models you have?  Cheers 

Oh yeah, good point! haha. I had PCIe in my head!

It's probably a long shot but do you have a Toshiba R600 in amongst the laptops. I dropped mine and broke the casing above the right hinge, surprisingly the screen didn't break and everything else is in working order. Currently held together with gaffa tape and bent piece of meccano

It's probably a long shot but do you have a Toshiba R600 in amongst the laptops. I dropped mine and broke the casing above the right hinge, surprisingly the screen didn't break and everything else is in working order. Currently held together with gaffa tape and bent piece of meccano

I've had a rummage and I'm afraid not. I have a few antique Toshibas but nothing that seems to resemble yours closely enough. I'll double check with a friend in Romania though, as he has a load more stuff.

Don't worry, there's still a lot of stuff left even after the other batch had gone!

I have plenty of RAM(even SDRAM if anyone wants some!) but obviously that's still viable, so the best I could do is discount. What are you after?

Great!

Was looking to get as much as I can. Have you got any 4GB sticks? The motherboard can take 4 sticks so I was thinking 4 X 4GB, or 4 X 2GB, depending on what you have and how much you'd want for them.

Any chance you have any more laptops for sale? The missus is after one to work with while sat on the sofa at night. I'd rather not buy her a brand new one because of reasons :P

It need to be good enough for Photoshop/Illustrator, word processing, browsing 3million web pages, social media...you know the sort of crap women use it for!

I'd be looking at getting an SSD for it anyway so without a HDD is perfect for me.

Also if it's got a Win7 key on the back then that would be a bonus as i'd like to get her Win10 for free and legit :P

In all fairness i think a Core2 Duo would be fine for what she would be using it for.

The Vaio i had from you before was a Core2 Duo, as soon on as i put the SSD it was like a brand new machine.

The problem is the missus is a little snobby so she would want a picture of it first, other wise i will have to shell out a load of money on her again :(

I have options on a few Core2 laptops I could do you for £150+postage, can't do any better than that though.

Also, I'm a bit worried about discussing selling stuff on the forum, so if it's not appropriate, someone in charge just say the word and I'll stop.

Also, I'm a bit worried about discussing selling stuff on the forum, so if it's not appropriate, someone in charge just say the word and I'll stop.

I think you're a long enough member to be trusted. If it was "Joe Random" who'd just signed up and was selling stuff then it would be a different story. It not like we get a lot of new traffic here anyway.

SuPerNoVi likes this

Great!

Was looking to get as much as I can. Have you got any 4GB sticks? The motherboard can take 4 sticks so I was thinking 4 X 4GB, or 4 X 2GB, depending on what you have and how much you'd want for them.

Having had a rummage, I've got some excellent OCZ DDR2 6400, but it's 4x1GB, which is probably a bit of a waste of time for you.

Having had a rummage, I've got some excellent OCZ DDR2 6400, but it's 4x1GB, which is probably a bit of a waste of time for you.

Not necessarily, depends on how much you want for them?