Sign in to follow this  
2ney

Fibre Router Combo

Question

Evening all,

So I've moved with the times and now allegedly have 80mb fibre broadband with plusnet (yet to see those speeds).

However in moving to this I've effectively killed off my Asus DSL N13 as both the router and modem and replaced it with the shitty plusnet router and BT Openreach modem.

As I don't want two devices on my hall shelf being messy with cables does anyone have any recommendations on a modem router to replace both?

Been out of the loop a bit on the router front.

Cheers. ..

7 answers to this question

I was under the impression that you have to use their kit, its in the terms and conditions i think.

I know Sky force you to use their bag of shite :(

Is there no way to hide all the bits in a cupboard or something?

Strictly speaking you don't necessarily have to use their kit. I've been with Sky for years and when i had broadband with then I used my own Belkin Router instead. I set it up with the same MAC address as the Sky router and I never had any grief from them. When I moved to fibre though I just use their own kit again which simply works. 

Plusnet seem behind the times though. For at least 2 or 3 years now Sky have used a combined Router/Modem box for their fibre. It's not new technology any more. 

PlusNet don't care what router you use. I'm with them and asked, but I've been using it anyway and to be honest it is fine for just plug and play.

Regarding the modem though, is it the open reach modem that is 'normally' attached to a wall?

I heard that the latest BT Homehub was all built in but I wasn't aware of any compatible modem+router, it would just be a case of replacing the wifi router part.

Thanks all - no restrictions on switching it out as far as I'm aware. I have a BT Openreach NGI modem and the plusnet one. Finally saw my speeds hit 74mb the oter day.

Reading up on this I believe there are two options I can probably thinking of doing, maybe even both.

1) Replace my modem and router with a VDSL capable one such as the Asus DSL-N66U / Fritz box e.g. 7390. This would replace the 2 with one device.

2) keep the BT Openreach modem and wall mount it on the back of my hall wall in the garage and stick the output into a powerline. Then put a new router on the output powerline to emit the wireless signal.

3) Do both of the above to improve wifi cover.

Point 3 is probably overkill.... The other question I guess I have is how many of you have ac standard wifi and is there any point getting that yet over N rated?

Have you considered the TP-Link TD-W9980?

http://www.ebuyer.com/660501-tp-link-td-w9980-n600-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-vdsl2-adsl2-modem-router-td-w9980?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CjwKEAjw3sKpBRDJ7rDqzsyuhDASJACZAikiuAAMHJ40W15DlbHgUamG9hh7pjiSbykWiOyU93L-hRoC47_w_wcB

I'm getting one for our work premises to replace the shocking Thomson supplied bag of excrement, which despite an 80Mbps connection, manages 5Mbps over a wired connection...lol.  Even a ~6 year old g rated Netgear router is supplying 30Mbps.

I'm hoping the W9980 fixes all the issues and give me proper through put.

Thanks cptwhite - sorry for the late reply, work has been hell this last few weeks.

Did you get one in the end and if so was it any good?