Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsoltan

Upgrade/Buy New/Repurpose?

Question

Hullo.

I use my 2 PCs every day and I have rather neglected their care in recent years. They are sat here with the side pannels off (for various reasons), full of dust and it is all an embarrasment. On top of that they make a fair bit of noise and I'm sat between them.

So. This year I want to make everything better. Starting with your help. I'm out of the game as far as PC technology goes, so I'd like to list what I use the machines for, where I have problems and then you may be able to help guide me in the right direction as far as useable parts or new tech to buy. I'll summarise at the end with what I want to do.

First up, The 'Workhorse' (circa 2008)

Q6600 G0 L2 @ 2.4GHz + Thermalright TRUE

Asus P5K Premium Skt 775

4GB DDR2 GSkill PC2 6400

Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

3 SATA HDD

Probably a Tagan PSU

Win7 Premium 64bit

This machine is mostly used for web browsing, playing music (has speakers), downloading, MS Office etc.

The 8800GT is driving two DELL 2005FPW 20" widescreen monitors at 1680x1050.

I tend to have Chrome (2-6 tabs) and Firefox (10-30 tabs) running with a bunch of other applications open too.

1. The GPU is now a noisy and hot bugger. Sure it might be full of dust and crap but thats where most of the noise in the room comes from.

2. Other than the GPU, the PC itself mostly just needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

3. I get a lot of slow down for seemingly no reason, but usually due to the web browsers eating up the RAM. If I close them down it resets and things get quicker again.

4. As with 3. opening menus and applications can sometimes be quite slow too. Add more RAM?

The 'Funmachine' (circa 2010)

i7 930 D0 @ 2.8GHz + Thermalright TRUE Black

Asus P6X58D-E Skt 1366

6GB DDR3 Corsair PC3

Radeon HD 5870 1GB

1 SATA HDD

Corsair AX750 PSU

Win7 Home 64bit

This is the games machine; Steam, Origin, etc. but also used for watching TV & movies. Headset only, no speakers.

The 5870 drives a single Samsung 2443 24" Widescreen at 1920x1200 which is also the resolution I try to play games at.

1. I haven't noticed much of a problem with games, I hardly play the most up to date stuff but I do like games to look good. I expect I just put up with low FPS a lot of the time.

2. The GPU can get pretty noisy when in games but thats understandable. Otherwise not much to complain about.

As you can see I haven't upgraded for quite a few years now and I don't know if my hardware is very outdated or if it should be OK for what I want from it.

My current thought was to build a completely new PC for gaming, and swap the i7 to be the Workhorse. Freeing up the Q6600. I'd probably dump the 8800GT and possibly repurpose the CPU into a HTPC (I have an Acer Revo serving that purpose at present - when I fix it). However I don't know how energy efficient either of these machines are any more considering I leave at least one of them on most of the time.

I was also toying with the idea of getting a Mac Mini to replace the 'Workhorse' as I don't reall need Windows and it could be nice to have something new that syncs up with my iPhone and iPad.

I also plan to replace my monitors with bigger newer ones - gosh my DELL screens must be nearly 10 years old now.. :blink:

Whatever happens I'll probably end up getting SSDs for both machines and doing a fresh install of Windows which should perk things up a bit.

Anyway as you've probably guessed this has mostly been me thinking aloud (trying to.. over the sound of this 8800GT!). Your input and ideas would be welcome though.

14 answers to this question

Budget for upgrades?

Don't really have one. Whatever it takes to improve the performance of my PCs short of TitanXs everywhere.

I'd consider buying two completely new machines to be honest, if the hardware I have wasn't worth keeping.

I think you should put these two at the sides of your couch and use them for placing cups.

Then buy two Xbox Ones and six Playstation 4s. 

bsoltan likes this

NO Budget!!! 

Ben i can source you a 4x Nvidia Titan X 12GB  i7 5960x Extreame Edition OCd to 4.4 Ghz, fully water cooled 128GB of RAM, 3D monitor 27" , 4x 1 TB SSD's . Headseat, 5.1 Speakers,Sound Blaster ZXR. Plus lots of extras for only £12,191

Case doesnt have a door though so probably not a winner

bsoltan likes this

NO Budget!!! 

Ben i can source you a 4x Nvidia Titan X 12GB  i7 5960x Extreame Edition OCd to 4.4 Ghz, fully water cooled 128GB of RAM, 3D monitor 27" , 4x 1 TB SSD's . Headseat, 5.1 Speakers,Sound Blaster ZXR. Plus lots of extras for only £12,191

Case doesnt have a door though so probably not a winner

Screw 3D THIS is what you want 

More on topic.   Do you need really need two machines? ( Says the one with 2 PCs, home server, laptop, two tablets and PS3 & 4)

If yes then go as you're thinking and build a new dream game machine and use the i7 as the other.  You already have more RAM there for the open tabs/apps thought you could drop more in there I suppose at a pinch.

Gaming wise 

Default CNS PC i5 4690K, GTX970, 16Gb RAM, SSD boot drive plus data drive.  Though I was kinda joking with the above monitor I've had an 29" ultra wide screen monitor for the last year and love it.

Thank you all. :D

Fall Guy - I hadn't thought about it really. Just used to having two, and also being able to browse the web, chat etc. while in game or something. Maybe I should go back to one machine.. you've got me thinking now.

Is there any new tech out this year that I should be aware/wait for? New GPUs or CPU sockets or anything?

Default CNS PC i5 4690K, GTX970, 16Gb RAM, SSD boot drive plus data drive.

This is pretty much the default spec PC anywhere at the mo. Either the GTX 970 is, money permitting a GTX 980.

Of course, since money is no object, you could go 4K screen and SLI'd GTX 980's!!  Would be epic!!

New Radeons are due soon too....

If you are going for a new build now look to see if you can do an x99 build as opposed to a Z97 build...   I probably should have waited for this until the prices came down. The benefit in the longer run is DDR4 RAM and more throughput on the PCIE to service the inevitable cards that will use it in the near future.

True - not enough supply atm...

So, coincidently to me posting this thread. The fan on my 8800GT has died.

I cleaned it out yesterday and managed to get it going again but it died just now. I have currently re-purposed rear case fan to act as a GPU fan. :P

So I had a read, DX12 is going to work on current nvidia cards.

What is the best type of GTX 970 to buy? Manufacturer/clock/fan etc.

edit: Or what card would I need to game at 2560x1600 (WQXGA) or 2560x1440 as they don't seem to make 16:10 any more.

This the one I went for 

I play at 2560 x 1080 gives me 170 fps in Warframe if I turn Vsync off.

I've not bothered to take it further than the factory OC but it is considered one of the better ones for going all out.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/12

I assume you have a full size ATX case? The MSI GTX 970 is generally reviewed as the best 970 but width wise its quite large (I can't fit one in my case without the side panel off).

The ASUS Strix cards also seem to get good reviews. I have a 980 and use the EVGA ACX2 (custom cooler, instead of stock cooler version) and I am pretty happy with the cooling performance - think they do a 970 version to.

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of them but the MSI and ASUS are probably the better offerings.