Sign in to follow this  
madwedge

Media not playing in Firefox

Question

Ok, so about a month ago certain video's stopped playing in Firefox. For example, embedded video's posted here on CNS wont play, however if I clock the little YouTube button on the vid to make it open up YouTube directly it would play fine.

Today though, even video's on YouTube directly aren't playing and I have no idea why. I tried Chrome and everything works fine.

Anyone know what could cause this to happen?  I'm assuming it's an Extension issue. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but it automatically keeps all Extensions present. Since Extensions are installed in Firefox via Software installations I don't know how to fix this without uninstalling things one by one.

I might just stick with chrome but I find Firefox much more user friendly. Especially with Tree Style Tab plugin. I despise having tabs across the top!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

8 answers to this question

I'll try the flash thing cheers.

You can reset Firefox?! I'll have a look at that too!

I generally don't like Chrome as they don't easily support Vertical Tabs. Whatever plugin I try it also keeps the tabs along the top. I just don't see the point of them.

Most screens we use are Widescreen and most websites aren't configures for widescreen so there's a lot of wasted space left and right. plug you can fit a lot more tabs vertically than you can horizontally at the top.

I'm trying vTabs with Chrome at the moment and will see how I get on with it. You can leave it on permanently too so it's always visible. 

I'm a fussy bastard I know!!

I'll try the flash thing cheers.

You can reset Firefox?! I'll have a look at that too!

Help>Troubleshooting Info>Reset Firefox(I think it's called Refresh now actually) - it exports all your profile data, resets...whatever's left...and re-imports the profile. Solves a lot of problems. Not all, but a lot!

Will try when I get home. Thanks!

Have you tried removing/reinstalling Flash?

I disabled Flash from my browser so the in-forum embedded videos don't work at all. Youtube still works fine though.

HTML5 video that's why.