Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madwedge

Windows 8.1 License Key

Question

Does anyone know the cheapest option for buying a Windows 8.1 License Key? 

Can these only be purchased from Microsoft or are there other options. Don't need the disc, just the key. And needs to be legit!

19 answers to this question

A windows 7 license would be cheaper as they're both about to get upgraded to 10 in a couple of months or so anyway.

A windows 7 license would be cheaper as they're both about to get upgraded to 10 in a couple of months or so anyway.

Very true, and I've got loads of 7 licences kicking around I could do cheap! Mostly home premium though I do have one for ultimate too.

Let me find out.  It's a friend who's asking me.  Thanks.

How much for the Ultimate Key Gav?

Edit - And how much for Home Premium?  I might be after one myself!

Feel free to PM me this info if you like.

Cheers

Ultimate is the full retail box, which I'm happy to send on if you like. I was given it in payment for a job, so I suppose I'm open to offers really. I think I pay about 80 quid for an OEM copy of 8, so 70 quid? I dunno. Home premium OEM, likewise, I dunno - 50?

Is that price haggleable?

Apparently Windows 8.1 digital download is £45 according to him. He was hoping for something closer to £30 (for home premium, not the Ultimate). Not to worry though, cheers.

Obviously don't want you out of pocket.

Given I said "I dunno" about 4 times, what do you think?:P

Ultimate haggleable, HP not so much because I can keep using them on new machines. But where does he get the idea of 45 quid? Unless he's a student? So far as I have seen, the cost of 8.1 normal edition is about 100 quid from MS. If he's getting legimitate for 45 quid, please find out where and I'll give you a home premium key free of charge!

Shogun likes this

"MrHighTech" lol. Seems legit!

Interesting. I asked my mate and he posted the same website. Same product, but this price is £42.95!!

http://www.mrhightech.com/operating-systems/3484-microsoft-windows-81-professional-0885370634990.html

I found them and decided the almost certainly couldn't be legit!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4905540

" Thank you for purchasing on site " mrhightech.com " and choosing HOTCERAMICJEWELRY as the payment service.
The charge will shown on your credit card statement under the name of HOTCERAMICJEWELRY."

"

• MR HIGH TECH LTD 
  • 21 Botanic Avenue
    Belfast, BT7 1JJ" 

That's a mailbox rental company...

Also, I'm always very suspicious of people who charge a fraction of the market value for something. If everyone else is selling it at 100 quid, why not sell it for 90? At worst 80? You're still a big chunk cheaper than anyone else, so why would you opt to charge 45 quid? It's an odd business strategy.

On www.g2a.com they're going for £23 ish!!

That's Windows 8.1 Professional! My mate has actually bought one. Will keep you posted if he gets his account hacked or not!!

It'll work...for a little while. Apparently what they're doing is flogging MSDN keys, often multiple times. Given MSDN keys are not to be resold in the first place, MS takes rather a dim view of this and blocks them after a few months.

MrHighTech in particular, are not legit in any way - even the mailing address is stolen!

Given your mate is presumably quite happy to support blatantly illicit sites, why doesn't he just use an activator to crack Win 8 and save buying a key at all? Serious question.

He's under the impression that this is a legit key that will work indefinitely and will allow windows updates etc.

Using a cracked key won't update will it? Doesn't Microsoft recognise it's not a legit key and won't allow you to run Windows update?

Incidentally he's building a cheap PC for a cousin.

Yeah, they let you have all the updates these days - changed the policy back when XP was current and the pirates were all using volume licence keys. MS blocked a vast swathe of licence keys to stamp out piracy...only to be bombarded with calls from furious businesses whose legit keys had been blocked and locked them out of their systems.

I haven't put my own key back in since I reinstalled Windows about 2 years ago, and I just get Genuine Advantage nags every now and then. Strange deterrent, but there you go.

They've even said that pirate licenses will be able to update to Windows 10, although they were quick to point out that it will still be an illegitimate copy.

It's an admirable policy really; most companies seem to be only too happy to inconvenience genuine customers in a futile effort to battle piracy.

On www.g2a.com they're going for £23 ish!!

That's Windows 8.1 Professional! My mate has actually bought one. Will keep you posted if he gets his account hacked or not!!

As Yoda would say: "Born there is, one every minute."