Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
burp

The Witcher 3

43 posts in this topic

Why is there no thread for this?

So it's out next week and the reviews are amazingly positive. You all getting this? On PC? Part of me thinks it would be great to play on the big TV but I think the PC controls will be much better and the reviews are all stating frame rate woes on the PS3. Apparently fixed with day one patch if you believe such a thing.

Anyway, super excited.

Why is there no thread for this?

Because I was very, very excited, but I've been avoiding all the preview stuff for fear it looked bad. I'm ill at the moment but I have to be wellin time for release day.

I was actually planning to play through the old Witcher games before this came out but didn't get around to it, particularly as I never finished the second. Don't think I've got the willpower to put off playing the new one now though.

I was actually planning to play through the old Witcher games before this came out but didn't get around to it, particularly as I never finished the second. Don't think I've got the willpower to put off playing the new one now though.

You need to finish the second, or at least watch a video of the end - the plot will follow on!

You need to finish the second, or at least watch a video of the end - the plot will follow on!

Balls, I thought they were separate. I'd better get cracking then! :wacko:

Which is why I decided I really really need to finish the second game before I can justify buying this.

When I say finish, I mean play more than 1.5 hours  :(

Just never put in enough time to get into the story.

Both games look great and in theory I should love them, just not had that spark.

Witcher 3 does look pretty impressive and I had it on pre order, but common sense prevailed for the reasons stated above and I cancelled it

Got my copy! (Also Arkham Knight) :D

Slight shame it's a GOG Galaxy code and not Steam; I like GOG but the last thing PC gaming needs is another bloomin' download client!

Got my copy! (Also Arkham Knight) :D

Slight shame it's a GOG Galaxy code and not Steam; I like GOG but the last thing PC gaming needs is another bloomin' download client!

You don't have to use galaxy though - you can just download from the site, and Galaxy does interact with Steam.

You don't have to use galaxy though - you can just download from the site, and Galaxy does interact with Steam.

True, the client is optional, although it's probably simpler than downloading the game files in seven parts at 4GB each.

When you say it interacts with Steam do you mean you can activate the game on Steam? I know you can activate the Steam code on GOG but I didn't think it worked the other way around.

True, the client is optional, although it's probably simpler than downloading the game files in seven parts at 4GB each.

When you say it interacts with Steam do you mean you can activate the game on Steam? I know you can activate the Steam code on GOG but I didn't think it worked the other way around.

No, but I'm told the galaxy thing allows you to use your contacts, multiplayer etc with people you know on Steam.

Still, what difference? download it from wherever and stick the shortcut in Steam.

I usually try and shove a product code in steam to see if it activates. I've been surprised before! 

But, yes, just add it as a non-steam game to be able to use the overlay.

I actually can't find a product key to try in Steam. Nvidia uses its own redeem system and both games were automatically added to the corresponding accounts.

Of course, there's no real difference. I would just prefer to cut out the faff and have all my games in one place. I've already had to go through all the settings and config because Galaxy started installing the game on the wrong drive (despite being installed on the correct drive itself). Plus one of the best things about Steam is that I can leave my favourite games installed and they stay installed, even if I change or reinstall the OS. For all I know, Galaxy will do the same, it's the first time I've use it, but Origin and Uplay sure don't.

I've been unable to get into any of the Witcher games. Even the promise of boobs didn't get me past the opening part of Witcher 2. So I find myself wondering if there is any chance of me liking this.

al4omega likes this

I played a fair bit of the first but only part of the second, and I've not finished either of them - the combat always seemed overly complicated to me. This point of "We're going for something realistic" is all very well but if it stops the game being enjoyable then I'd rather have less complicated arcade controls or something closer to the Batman games.

Tempted by this new game but not sure I have the hours to put into it.

Started playing the second game again. I think I remember why I never got on with it before: I died in the bloomin' tutorial and got a snarky message pop up and ask if I might possibly want to consider putting the difficulty down to easy if I'm such a big girl's blouse. So I did, as I'm mostly concerned with the story this time around, but now there's no challenge at all. I've only seen my health bar move once, when I was absolutely surrounded by monsters in a swamp.

That said, I'm only about four hours in. There might be something resembling an actual fight later on.

Started playing the second game again. I think I remember why I never got on with it before: I died in the bloomin' tutorial and got a snarky message pop up and ask if I might possibly want to consider putting the difficulty down to easy if I'm such a big girl's blouse. So I did, as I'm mostly concerned with the story this time around, but now there's no challenge at all. I've only seen my health bar move once, when I was absolutely surrounded by monsters in a swamp.

That said, I'm only about four hours in. There might be something resembling an actual fight later on.

The tutorial was confusing because you could start in one of about 4 different points in the story - I kept trying to escape the dragon before realising I needed to do a different bit of the story first.

The tutorial was confusing because you could start in one of about 4 different points in the story - I kept trying to escape the dragon before realising I needed to do a different bit of the story first.

That's the prologue. I'm talking about the tutorial that was added with the Enhanced Edition, that tells you exactly which button to press and which ability to unlock and ends by throwing several waves of badguys at you and laughing.

That's the prologue. I'm talking about the tutorial that was added with the Enhanced Edition, that tells you exactly which button to press and which ability to unlock and ends by throwing several waves of badguys at you and laughing.

Ohh, I never got that because I pre-ordered, played it to the end inside 3 days and never went back!

I downloaded it all overnight, but need to do a fresh Win7 install and add more RAM before I'm ready to play. That and a backlog of work means it'll be tonight before I can play. Bah.

Well, after a lot of wrestling to get it to work(turns out my graphics drivers needed updating twice), I finally started playing at around 1am. I was very worried my i7 920 wouldn't be able to handle it, but I needn't have fretted - the settings are all on ultra at the mo and it's running perfectly.

It looks lovely, and I'm already thrilled to be back in the Witcher world, with the mysterious Yennefer haunting Geralt's every step. Combat seems much the same as I remember it, though the camera control takes a bit of getting used to, voice acting is top-notch and...well that's as far as I've gotten, really. I've already made a couple of decisions that I've reconsidered after seeing the consequences, only to find the game won't allow you to backtrack - you gotta live with your decisions. More work tomorrow, but think I'll knock off early to concentrate on the game.