Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
burp

The Witcher 3

43 posts in this topic

42?

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

a race of superintelligent beings(that look like mice) build a supercomputer to calculate the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Generations pass while the machine grinds away at its work. Eventually, the machine announces its result "But I don't think you're going to like it....42." They then have to build an even more complicated computer to find out what the hell the question was...and it turns out the answer was wrong

:D

I'm playing it. Haven't bothered with the main story much so far, just wandering around Velen killing and looting. After only really playing Elder Scrolls games before this has taken some getting used to, and I'm not certain it's better than Skyrim, but it's... not far.

Also, quite enjoying Gwent.

It's so much deeper than Skyrim though - the characters are fully fleshed-out, your choices have real consequences,even a lot of the villagers and quest-givers have backstories, and you can go back to a lot of them after you've finished the quest and see how they're getting on afterwards.

Whereas Skyrim offers the ability to interact with almost any item you spy - all of 800+ books/scrolls for example. In Witcher I can see but not touch - eg. I can collect food from barrels, but not from a plate. That just jolts me out of immersion. (And is incredibly annoying when I have minimal health.)

(Am playing on PC.)

Well I very rarely bother collecting food because A) you can use your Swallow potion to regenerate your hewalth, and B) you can meditate for 5 minutes and regain it. Or you can kill some wild animals and eat them.

If being able to interact with every piece of food you see is a big thing for you then fair enough - I'm an adventure gamer at heart, so for me it's about the stories and the acting and the people, rather than custom armour or some sense of total immersion. I mean, I've always been suspicious of games journalists who talk about losing themselves in a game completely, because however good something gets, I'm always aware I'm watching a film,. playing a game or whatever.

I just finished the main plot tonight. Absolutely wonderful - a genuine rollercoaster of emotions in the final hour or so of the game and a great ending based on the choices I'd made throughout the game. Some of the mechanics of the game need a bit of tweaking - anything involving water for one - but overall it's an absolute masterpiece of storytelling and game design. I started playing on release day and had about a week's break inbetween, the rest of the time managing several hours a day. I must have put a couple of hundred hours in and there's still so much left to do - some sidequests uncompleted, dozens of map points not explored etc.

I cannot wait for the expansions - this may be my favourite game of all time.

I recently got this and im enjoying it, how much of the main quest should i do before just wondering round the wilderness and doing things? Im just at the Red baron (although he is pissed because i killed his bandits at the in at the cross roads, i mean when i see "Bandit" over their names i just killed them all).

It's entirely up to you - the more you wander and do stuff, the more you'll level up and make the main quest easier.  You're not that far in yet. Once the main quest ends,m you're free to wander the world anyway, so you can always do a lot of the sidequests then, but it's nice to get a feel for the world and appreciate all the amazing little touches they've put into the game.

I didn't touch the main story until about level 20, by which time I was way over leveled - but it was totally worth it.

I like to be prepared and had invested most of my time into crafting all the various Witcher armors and upgrading them.

Sounds like what I'm doing now, but I'll be careful not to get to over levelled. Can't wait to get back and play it some more. 

Mod creates spreading monster infection (Zombies!)

http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-creates-a-spreading-monster-infection-in-the-witcher-3/

I've just finished the Hearts of Stone main plotline. Wonderful - the characters all felt believable, including a deeply sinister main villain and at least one seriously messed-up boss.

The boss battles seemed absolutely bastard-hard to me, but I've never been much good at the combat side of things. Still, only had to lower the difficulty for one of them, and the frustration of many futile attempts at beating him were repaid in full when Geralt's first words after victory were "What the fuck was that?" My thoughts exactly, matey!

I'll go back and do a lot of the side quests now, but this expansion has certainly shown a more humorous side to CDPR, a glint of light amid the usual gloom.

Looking forward to playing it, but still going through the main game right now getting in a good mix of side quests and main ones but its taking time. Ill have to postpone Fallout 4 :-S