Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gavpowell

.uk Domain Registrations

7 posts in this topic

I'm still not clear on how the .uk extension works for existing domains - I have newportcomputers.co.uk and therefore the "right to register" newportcomputers.uk

Do I have to do something to claim it, or is it given automatically? Similarly, if I create a domain for a customer tomorrow, do they qualify for it for free or does it cost extra?

I believe you have to enquire about it and then register it. I'm sure there's a time limit on it. My host hasn't exactly been clear on it and I'm not sure nor have I had the inclination to check on it yet!

You have to pay for it of course, looks like there is a holding period where you have a period of time to buy it. After that though it's open to anyone. That period appears to be 5 years.

If you want exclusivity, buy it, if you don't then forget about it. I think .com and .co.uk will always be deemed more respectable in the majority of instances.

It holds no advantages so it's just a matter of deicding if you want to stop anyone else using the same domain as yours with the .uk. In terms of SEO there's no difference.

In terms of search engines .com actually means in the USA unless you tell them differently, so the .co.uk you have is the best one. If you want it just buy it and redirect it to the .co.uk address.

.uk may eventually become the norm over .co.uk so I'd probably get it, redirect it and forget about it.

In terms of search engines .com actually means in the USA unless you tell them differently, so the .co.uk you have is the best one. If you want it just buy it and redirect it to the .co.uk address.

That's not strictly true. I'm like 90% sure Google checks server locations of websites using GeoIP lookup.

Also SEO aside people think of .com as the norm, it is very likely people will type newportcomputers.com before they type newportcomputers.co.uk so there's that to consider. The company I work for own the .com and redirect it to the .co.uk for this very reason.

It does, but it's way back in the list. .co.uk will rank above .com with a server in the UK every time if all variables are the same.

Google looks at ccTLD first but if you have a .com it checks if you've specified a targeting country in Webmaster tools, only after that will it guess that you're in the country where the server resides and by that point you're well behind the competition.

If what you are saying was true you would never be able to have a UK targeted .com address with a server outside of the UK and for various reasons, people do that.

Saying it means in the USA was maybe not strictly correct, it actually means non descript/unspecified, but considering .us is available but rarely used, the assumption is that .com is US based unless otherwise stated. All the top returns in the US are .com, unlike here. 

I have a couple of .co.uk domains and an org.uk.

I had an email from the registrars to inform me that I can claim the right to .uk, but I doubt I'll bother tbh. My sites aren't commercial, so there'd be no real advantage.