Sign in to follow this  
SuPerNoVi

New build randomly turning off.

Question

I've got a problem with my new Media PC build, it keeps turning off. Sometimes fully and sometimes almost like it only half shut down as I can still hear fans whirring and the LED is on but the computer is completely unresponsive.

Once it has completely turned off and twice it has gotten half way.

I've requested a replacement PSU from Amazon as a first port of call, as that's my first suspicion. The other is the motherboard but I have ran a stress test on the CPU for an hour and that didn't cause any issues.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also one strange thing that might just be a coincidence is it seems to last almost a day before turning off... :/

Here's the spec:

AMD A-Series A10-7800

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI

HyperX Savage 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2133MHz DDR3 

Noctua NH-U14S - NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler

Samsung 2.5-Inch 120 GB 850 EVO

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive x2

Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W Modular

14 answers to this question

Sounds more like a motherboard fault to me - possibly a slight crack in the board that expands as it warms, breaking the circuit.

Whenj it goes off, is it being actively used or is it idling? I'm just thinking maybe try turning off the sleep settings in Windows.

When it goes off, can you restart immediately without issue, or does it take a while?

Starts up straight away.

Yes it's idling when it has the fault. As it has so far not gone off whilst I was using it.

Motherboard is my next port of call but it's a bigger job than changing PSU so may as well rule out the PSU.

Probably completely unrelated but I had issues with Sleep mode on my PC. I think it was because it was overclocked though.

If it went into sleep mode it would usually fail to wake up and end up falling into a boot loop, resulting in me having to reset the BIOS.

Have had to disable sleep and hibernation entirely.

I've noticed some devices were enabled without drivers.

One was an AMD IOMMU which I'd enabled in BIOS for some reason and don't even need. Disabled that now.

Second the realtek audio doesn't seem to have a driver, so installing that now.

I wonder if these could have caused it?

Scratch that it's an AMD HD audio device, Catalyst was supposed to install drivers for that :|

// Edit

Re-installed those drivers and now all devices are drivered up! I'll keep an eye on it and see if things have improved.

I once had a faulty SSD cause a PC to become unresponsive after a time. I don't remember it shutting down completely but it might be worth considering.

When it becomes "unresponsive" it is still on, power LED and everything but I can't see anything on screen, if I check my network drive it's unaccessible and I can't remote desktop to the PC, which suggests it's not even in Windows.

The only reason I suspect PSU is in my head if it had a flutter, the fans would possibly stay on. The CPU stopping would render the computer unresponsive though.

When I was Googling someone had a similar issue related to the AMD HD Audio Driver, he said disabling the device made it stable again. Well as I've now found I didn't even have a driver for that I'm starting to wonder if I had a incredibly similar issue.

As I said before though it has once just gone off completely.

My work PC was randomly blue screening / rebooting ...turned out it was the windows update auto installed Ethernet driver!  A software issue....so don't rule software out completely.  But my guess would be faulty motherboard given the symptoms presented.

Could also by a short within the case itself - try building the system outside of the case and see how it runs for a week?

Hummm, I'd be surprised if it was shorting. I'll keep it in mind though.

After wasting an hour on an issue getting it to work with my TV last night via HDMI it has now been running for 15 hours without issue. So will keep monitoring the situation.

A lot of these issues I'd expect to happen within 15 hours though, that's the strange thing.

So as of now it has been up for 1 days 17 hours. I think this may be the longest it has been on.

One weird thing though, my default audio device was changed to the AMD HDMI Audio Device, which specifically is labelled as Panasonic TV. I didn't change it, I'm guessing the Catalyst Control Centre did it. Curiously this has happened around 24 hours into being turned on, around the time it would otherwise have had issues.

This has led me to think it may well be an issue with this device just like Google told me.

Will keep monitoring but we may have a winner.

PC watch day three and it's still on and working perfectly.

You know that as soon as you start to relax its going to happen again right?

Haha it was pretty consistent so I don't think it will *touch wood* still running fine this evening. Watched the final episode of The Flash, that was spectacular!