Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfdude

Linux File Recovery

Question

This might be a rather specific question, but I thought I'd ask it anyway.

I'm in the process of migrating my NAS from NAS4Free to Open Media Vault, which is made more complicated by the fact that they don't use the same file systems. I bought a couple of extra HDDs, which I've formatted as Ext4 in OMV and I'm trying to transfer the data from my old HDDs, currently formatted as UFS2.

I'm using a freeware program call Linux Reader, running in Windows 8 on my HTPC, which seemed to do the job perfectly and I left it transferring the first HDD over night. But this morning I've found that every video file seems to be corrupt to some extent, presumably because of their size.

Some don't open at all, while most seem to be fine but stop playing after a couple of minutes.

I've tried transferring a single video file and I've also tried saving to the local drive to rule out any network issues, but the video stops in the exact same place each time.

Is this likely to be a limitation of the software? Or the old file system? Or a problem with the HDD itself?

Are the video files ruined forever or should I try another program?

I'd appreciate any advice. It's going to be a real nuisance if I have to re-rip every disk I own. :(

8 answers to this question

Read your post but unfortunately my Linux knowledge doesn't go any further than web server management.

If it was me though I would write this up as being the software and look at trying to transfer your files within an Ubuntu install.

Unfortunately, my  experience with Ubuntu was less that positive. From what I could tell, the nice looking GUI seemed to be entirely for show and everything had to be done through the terminal (equivalent of DOS prompt).

I seem to recall struggling to copy data off a USB drive, I can't imagine transferring to a network drive will be any simpler!

In fact, a quick look at the Ubuntu forums brings up a relevant topic where the first reply claims "Mounting UFS file systems in Ubuntu should be straight forward" and follows up with three lines of code that look like this:

sudo mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdb1 /home/<your_username>/ufs_mount

Then the next reply points out that he missed a step.

So, nice and straight forward! :wacko:

Still, I suppose I could load up a live CD and see what happens.

Well obviously it's mostly terminal, that's the nature of the beast.

However ubuntu is a really easy linux distro to get up and running and the gui is nice for say having a browser open with your Google search and the terminal open in another window.

For the record though, mounting a usb stick was a case of plugging it in last time I checked. So I'm not sure why you had issues.

As I say it's the route I would take to get your files off the drive through linux. You can easily mount an NTFS drive and transfer them to that. I've recovered files using Ubuntu before that Windows basically lost.

Your best bet is to boot up a Live CD that supports UFS2 read out of the box and copy over to either ext3 or 4 then go from there with OMV

I've been looking into it. I had a quick go with PC-BSD, which I was under the impression would run live from the USB but it seemed to want installing.

I'll keep trying.

Okay, I think I have this sorted now.

I thought I was being clever trying BSD systems - NAS4Free is BSD based and it uses UFS natively - but I tried three OSs and couldn't get any of them to even install properly. So I fell back on Ubuntu, followed the "straight forward" instructions I found earlier and, apart from some faffing around trying to get it to recognise the USB keyboard, it worked perfectly.

I've moved one video over (same one as before for, to keep it scientific) and it plays fine on all machines, so now I'm in the process of transferring the rest. It's taking a bit longer than last time but that's not the end of the world.

I should've just taken Supernovi's advice in the first place! ;)

Glad to hear it  ^_^

Surfdude likes this

Yeesh! "Taking a bit longer" might have been a bit of an understatement; it's been 24 hours and it's only halfway through the first drive. :wacko:

No wonder the recovery program didn't work, that took a mere 8 hours!