Sign in to follow this  
bsoltan

bsoltan is attempting to build his dream PC

Question

7 years since my last PC build, I'm being very picky which is why I haven't created a thread until gavpowell asked. :P

Current PC: i7 930 skt1136, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI 5870

Aims: Top performing, good looking machine - going for a mainly black build (something I tried with my previous one), seems most manufacturers have this in mind now.

Usage: Gaming at 2560x1440 res, with the likelyhood of a 27" G-SYNC 144Hz monitor/superwide as next update. FPS, RTS, MMO, RPG.

Current plan: italics = already bought

CPU: i7 7700k (option to overclock)

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 

MOBO: Z270 - more info below

RAM: ? - more info below

GPU: ? - more info below

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3

SSD1: 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe

SSD2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO

Case: NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case Windowed Matte Black

MOBO:

Generally the Z270 (native Kabylake support) boards are all high-end and have same features (PCI-e lanes, SATA ports, M.2 drives, etc.) it comes down to any additional features and the following:

Looks are important here as one of the most visible components, specially getting an AIO cooler you see more of the board. One with an I/O cover/shield.

The layout is quite imporant to me, are the fan headers in sensible places to keep cables hidden, are the SATA ports angled to be able to keep the cables out of the way, is 

With the aim to overclock I'm looking at boards that have support for high speed RAM/good RAM options.

While I don't have a great desire for RGB it seems most of the high-end boards have this feature so I may as well make use, some have a better system than others and better appearance.

MOBO Shortlist:

MSI Z270 Gaming M5

ASUS Z270-E ROG STRIX

ASUS Maximus IX Hero

I was pretty set on the MSI M5 but it doesn't support the higher RAM speeds and I've been reading that the BIOS isn't as good as ASUS for overclocking, the RGB options are also pretty weak and more expensive boards have a better layout. I like the M.2 drive shield though and the black/grey colour. 

The ASUS STRIX is similar price point to the MSI M5. Has a lighter/silver colour profile which I don't like as much. It supports faster RAM though, regarding layout one M.2 slot is off to the side which looks odd.

Based on those two I’m leaning towards the ASUS Hero, however it is an extra £45 which I’m not sure is worth it which is why I haven’t ordered yet. I keep looking back at the three boards.

I’m going to look at some Gigabyte options although they seem to have stuck non-RGB LEDs all over their boards which I’m not a fan of at all.

I’d love an EVGA board (wanted one from my last build) but they’re over £300!

RAM:

Simple enough here, once I decide on the MOBO it will depend on what speed I can get (probably some 3800. I was set on getting a set of Kingston Fury (just plain black RAM), until I found out about the Geil Trident Z which look neat.. and THEN I found out Geil do an RGB variant.. xD

GPU:

Here comes the saga of deciding and waiting for GPU releases.. to drive the resolution I want (particularly at high refresh rate/G-Sync) a 1070 probably won’t be enough.. so I was planning to get a 1080. The EVGA SC/FTW caught my eye as fitting in well with the theme. I’d like one with a decent back-plate as well as cooler/colour that matches.

Then EVGA came out with their new ICX cooler – which seems to have come with a significant price bump (where other 1080s are being cut due to NVIDIA’s new pricing). Talking of the new pricing this is due to the release of the 1080Ti this week.. which would be a great card, if VERY expensive. However if I don’t want a Founder’s Edition (stock cooler) I’d have to wait even longer for the manufacturer’s to get up and running with their own options.. not something I really want to do.

So..  there I am. What I’ve been considering is to buy a ~£200 card from either AMD or a second hand card from previous gen GPUs like a GTX 980. That should keep me happy for a while until the 1080Tis are all out and prices have settled, then I can get a new GPU for this build and get rid of my 5870 and use whatever ‘temp’ card I buy in the 2nd PC…

Other items I’m considering:

Thermal paste (although the X62 comes with pad) if I need to re-seat the cooler for any reason or to get a better contact.

PSU Extensions/Custom cables – To make the cabling as tidy as it can be/add some feature.

NZXT Hue+ / NZXT Internal USB – Pretty pricey but if I need more internal USBs (some MOBOs don’t have USB 2.0) or want to extend the RGB functions to the case internals.

A way to not use Molex power if anything requires it – minimise PSU cabling.

Buy a piece of matching black metal to cover the tubing ports on rear of case.

There we have it. Opinions, feedback, critique welcomed.

16 answers to this question

Nothing uses molex connectors anymore, except fan controllers in cheap cases, so you can rest easy there.

I wouldn't bother with an i7 - they add nothing of note over the i5 for gaming purposes and have in some cases been shown to hamper performance through the use of hyperthreading. Save the cash, get an i5 6600K and put the extra toward a 1080 or whatever.

Again, I speak from the perspective of a non-overclocker, but unless it really matters to an overclock, I don't see the need to worry about RAM speeds these days - everything is likely to have a bloody good overhead until you hit 4K Virtual Reality, I'd have thought - certainly can't imagine the RAM speed being the bottleneck.

It's mostly down to the overclocking tends to be tighter than it used to be and the i7 has a higher default clock speed.  I've been a little disappointed with mine so far.

Not that I'm finished, but it looks like mine is on the low side of the curve.  MSI auto voltage is kinda scary high but it does get it up there, but I seen various reports of 5.0GHz just by raising the core voltage to 1.35 and that's about it but mine won't even post at 4.5GHz at that setting and my old 4790K was 1.29V @ 4.5GHz.

I chickened out @ 4.6 with the auto voltage showing 1.46V, core temp was about 50C but I wasn't pushing it hard.  More testing when I get time.

Also my old ASUS Maximus motherboard was more OC friendly too, after two non-POSTs it would boot at default settings whereas the MSI Gaming 5 just keeps trying until you press the reset button on the IO panel.

The Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 AIO is a delight though, it's big and thick I'll grant you but it's quiet and cools really well.  It also fitted together extremely well and easily too.

I have been reading that Gigabyte Auros and Asus ROG/Strix are best boards for overclocking which has made me wary of the MSI offerings.

I'm considering the Gigabyte Gaming K5 now, I'll read some more tonight. I think it's between that and the Asus ROG Hero.

I was tempted by a second hand 7700k for £300 that was said to do 5Ghz but it was delidded. I think I missed out on it now.

Still keeping my eye out as I haven't ordered the processor yet.

I bought a second hand GTX 980 though which will tide me over until the 1080Ti FTW3 comes out (which will prob cost same as an entire PC..)

How close should I pay attention to the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for RAM compatibility?

Do any of you check this or just go with speed that is supported by the board regardless of manufacturer or validation on list?

I've never read a QVL in my life and never had an issue. Buy a reputable brand and there'll be no issue with compatibility, but I've yet to see Acme RAM at the higher levels of DDR4 anyway - most of the branded stuff is  cheap these days. Of course I'm not buying colour-coded, feng-shui overclocking RAM...

:P

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/bsoltan/saved/MZ623C

Read the Kitguru review on the motherboard very closely and seems to tick all my boxes. My minor gripe is the number of power phases (to support stable overclocking) and the rear I/O doesn't have that many USB ports - but easily fixed if needed.

Everything has now been ordered and I hope will be with me before Friday.

Thanks for the comments gavpowell. As you say seems QVL isn't that strict so gone for some RAM in similar family but as high speed as the board supports.

Hopefully i get lucky with the 'silicon lottery' and get a CPU that can be clocked well.

First foray into water cooling - all be it an AIO.

First time to use SSDs in a build too (I'm embarrassed at my current load times).

I'm looking forward to get back into some big PC games!

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, bsoltan said:

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/bsoltan/saved/MZ623C

Read the Kitguru review on the motherboard very closely and seems to tick all my boxes. My minor gripe is the number of power phases (to support stable overclocking) and the rear I/O doesn't have that many USB ports - but easily fixed if needed.

Everything has now been ordered and I hope will be with me before Friday.

Thanks for the comments gavpowell. As you say seems QVL isn't that strict so gone for some RAM in similar family but as high speed as the board supports.

Hopefully i get lucky with the 'silicon lottery' and get a CPU that can be clocked well.

First foray into water cooling - all be it an AIO.

First time to use SSDs in a build too (I'm embarrassed at my current load times).

I'm looking forward to get back into some big PC games!

Nice.

"A thing of beauty is a joy to behold". As someone, somewhere, once said.

Not jealous. At all ;)

Enjoy! :D

On 07/03/2017 at 9:43 PM, gavpowell said:

Nothing uses molex connectors anymore, except fan controllers in cheap cases, so you can rest easy there.

Guess who's got a fan controller in their case... :D

I almost went NZXT too, but for the lack of Optical bays.  It maybe old skool but as I have a perfectly good Re-writeable BluRay drive I see no real reason to throw it away.

2 hours ago, bsoltan said:

Guess who's got a fan controller in their case... :D

Pfft, molex is a rubbish option, they should be using PWM-style connectors, or even SATA power connectors like the watercoolers!

2 hours ago, Fall Guy said:

I almost went NZXT too, but for the lack of Optical bays.  It maybe old skool but as I have a perfectly good Re-writeable BluRay drive I see no real reason to throw it away.

I haven't used the optical drive in my current machine for a year. That was only to rip a music CD for my friend's wedding.

I'll still have a second PC with an optical drive so I have no need for one in the gaming machine. If I ever do I'll just get a USB3 external one. I even got Windows on USB!

edit: Of course the irony now is that the new PC needs drivers from the mobo CD.. ¬_¬

I have a few comments about the NZXT H440 which I'll write up when I've finished building.

45 minutes ago, gavpowell said:

Pfft, molex is a rubbish option, they should be using PWM-style connectors, or even SATA power connectors like the watercoolers!

Yeah it is a bit anoying. Probably going to end up getting a Molex->SATA converter so I don't have to 'clutter' the case with an extra cable from the PSU.

The machine powers up now. RGB RAM is awesome. I'll get some pics up later/tomorrow.

5 hours ago, bsoltan said:

Yeah it is a bit anoying. Probably going to end up getting a Molex->SATA converter so I don't have to 'clutter' the case with an extra cable from the PSU.

The machine powers up now. RGB RAM is awesome. I'll get some pics up later/tomorrow.

If you need any cables or whatever, let me know - I've got dozens of pretty much everything and every time I build a new machine, I get a couple more.