Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
burp

Reviews

Recommended Posts

Let's try and wake this place up a bit. We used to have a review section years ago and I've just sold off a few of my Hot Toys figures for a tidy profit which I've blown on ridiculously expensive PC stuff. I'm not bothering with huge detail as there are plenty of reviews for all this stuff, just my thoughts on the upgrades really. If you have anything else you'd like to know, just ask.

Oh, and review your own stuff. So the people who come here every day have summut to read :P

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 - £125

Crazy money for a keyboard, first mechanical keyboard I've had and, noise aside, it's a joy to use. My old keyboard I've had for years and the letters were getting hard to see so this is a long overdue upgrade. You know it's well built as it weighs a fucking ton compared to the lightweight plastic of my old one. Tried it out in PC World and loved the clackyness of the mechanical keys, can't really explain why it's better, just is. That's for typing. Gaming is a bit more annoying as if you're playing a shooter and bouncing around between the WASD keys it's not quite as nice, but small sacrifice. Other than that it's got all the pretty colours going on which I have just cycling through colours. Thought it would get annoying but don't even notice it unless you're sat back not typing. You can also light up keys independently in any colour so you can set up your fav games with only the keys you use lit. Red for health stuff, blue for weapons etc, pretty cool. There are also 5 macro keys. I like pretty lights, so I like it. Not sure it's a keyboard to use next to your Mrs while she's watching Eastenders though, due to the noise. Luckily I can't attract women so it doesn't matter.

Razer Deathadder Elite Mouse - £60

I loved my old mouse and there was little wrong with it, the Logitech G5, I'd had for years. This mouse though went with the keyboard, had the same fancy lights and you can sync them to run through colours together. So obvs I had to get it. Pretty much the same as my old one in terms of features, couple of buttons on top to change the mouse speed (up to 5) and two on the side for lobbing grenades and the like. Did I mention the pretty lights?

Corsair MM200 Mouse Mat - £30

Calling this a mouse mat is an understatement, it's 3 feet long so it's a mouse and keyboard mat. My old one had a picture of Darth Maul on it, I got it when Ep1 came out 19 years ago! Needless to say, this one is better. I like having such a large space to roll the (new) mouse about on and it feels a hundred times better and smoother than my tatty old one. Obviously. Not really much else to say, I like it.

Razer Kraken 7.1 V2 - £100

Notice a theme here? I've got an old Speedlink Medusa headset that is quite heavy and tiring to wear for a long time. Tried this on in the shop and it was like sticking a cloud on your head (probably). The leather headset blocks noise out as soon as you put it on and kinda sucks to your ears in a good way. Way more comfy than my old one for extended wearing and also doesn't dig glasses into my head when I don't have the contacts in, unlike the old one. Sound is impressive, the 7.1 seems to work well and my mate says I'm clearer now so I guess the mic's a good un also. And it has pretty lights, that sinc up with my keyboard and mouse. Who doesn't want that? OK, I can't see them when I'm wearing it but i know they're there, looking cool. Ear cups are leather instead of material on my old ones and they do get a bit hot, might get sweaty in the summer?

So this is where I stopped, but then I fancied getting a new monitor to complete the spending. I've got an old 23" something or another of no particular significance and thought about getting another for dual monitor goodness, maybe but two so they match. Then I started looking at Ultrawide's. Oops.

AOC AG352UCG Quad HD 35" Curved Monitor - £730

Big. It's very big. I've had to re-arrange my office a bit to put something behind my desk so I can push it back a bit. My main worry was how my GTX970 was going to cope pushing 3440x1440 pixels around when it was used to 1080P. Much better than I thought is the answer. COD WW2 on mainly top settings is getting around 40/45 FPS depending on the map. BF1 on ultra gets around the same, a bit less. PUBG on high is around 35 FPS. Now while those aren't very impressive figures to be gaming on, I was concerned I'd be putting everything on low to play games so knowing I can drop to medium settings and be fine was a relief as I don't want to upgrade my PC at the moment, especially with the Bitcoin douchebags putting the cost of graphic cards through the roof. Gaming is awesome in ultrawide. PUBG takes a bit of vertical height to give you the horizontal but it's fine. The other two games mentioned have proper support. Head-bob in COD is a bit more distracting as it seems amplified by the wider screen, need to check if I can turn it off. Film trailers in proper widescreen are awesome, no black bars! And you can easily have 3 documents up at once for multi tasking (watching 3 types of porn at once). Took a few days to get used to the size but it's already the norm now after a couple of weeks. Thumbs up for the ultrawide experience from me.

None of this was planned, I just tried the keyboard and decide to get it as I had the collectibles money. And the mouse went well with it. And the headphones. And the mousemat.

And then my monitor looked old next to all the new stuff.

I've stopped now.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it. 

Thank  you. :D

I'm currently buying a house.

Not quite so exciting, although I'm hoping for fancy lights at some point.

Review to follow after the deal is done. In about 12 months on current progress.

Enjoy your new kit! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nige said:

I'm currently buying a house.

Not quite so exciting

I'd say buying a house was more exciting than getting a new keyboard. Well exciting once you're though the stress of buying and then moving. A review of a house would be awesome though :D.

14 hours ago, Nige said:

Enjoy your new kit! :)

Cheers. I'm still at the enjoying sitting down at my computer stage, hopefully that lasts.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, burp said:

I've stopped now.

BUT, they're just about to release some new speakers that match all my stuff with the lights and everything and they look great.

Goddammit. Razer have me by the balls like some kinda mug.

BTW that wrist rest in the picture that comes with the keyboard is like a padded strip of comfort. You could sleep on it, if you were small enough. It doesn't flow from the keyboard properly though, kinda makes you wrists up higher than they should be, plus it covers the light up logo on the keyboard. I've left it in the box for now but it's by far the comfiest wrist rest you'll ever find.

nommo-gallery-1500x1000-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet tech and nice writeup, yay for the shiny. When I built my PC I thought why not get RGB things if it is an option.. not that I have activated it much.

I've just bought a new mouse + mouse pad myself and I'm looking at a keyboard too. Got to overhaul my whole setup and environment to enjoy game more.

Ultra Widescreen/21:9 is something I've considered too. Interesting you say that PUBG is OK as I'd been reading that it isn't natively supported and cuts off some of the top and bottom to give the width.

And congrats on the nice profit from the figures. Sometimes these kind of things are a good investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2018 at 8:24 PM, Nige said:

 

I'm currently buying a house.

Not quite so exciting, although I'm hoping for fancy lights at some point.

Review to follow after the deal is done. In about 12 months on current progress.

 

I'm also buying a house, well I would be if every one we look at isn't immediately sold to some fucker else :(

Good luck with yours Nige, hope your hunt is less painful than ours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bsoltan said:

I've just bought a new mouse + mouse pad myself and I'm looking at a keyboard too.

What did you get? I can highly recommend the keyboard I got if you're not put off by the cost. I actually set my keyboard up to play PUBG yesterday so I have the main keys in green, red for the meds/pills and blue for weapons, all other keys turned off, it's so good for jumping straight to the right keys without having to remember them. Plus you can assign different key settings to individual programs so it automatically goes to my PUBG set up when I launch the game and then reverts back when I quit out. Really impressed. The best thing was setting a macro key up with "F - Ctrl 1". Now I can approach any vehicle from any side and hit the macro key and you enter the vehicle and then immediately jump to the driver seat. At worst it saves running round to the right side every time and at best can save you if running to your car under fire.

16 hours ago, bsoltan said:

Ultra Widescreen/21:9 is something I've considered too. Interesting you say that PUBG is OK as I'd been reading that it isn't natively supported and cuts off some of the top and bottom to give the width.

It does, I mentioned that, but it's OK, it's not losing that much top and bottom. Would be better if it had proper support but anything you notice will be forgotten once you're playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, burp said:

What did you get? I can highly recommend the keyboard I got if you're not put off by the cost. I actually set my keyboard up to play PUBG yesterday so I have the main keys in green, red for the meds/pills and blue for weapons, all other keys turned off, it's so good for jumping straight to the right keys without having to remember them. Plus you can assign different key settings to individual programs so it automatically goes to my PUBG set up when I launch the game and then reverts back when I quit out. Really impressed. The best thing was setting a macro key up with "F - Ctrl 1". Now I can approach any vehicle from any side and hit the macro key and you enter the vehicle and then immediately jump to the driver seat. At worst it saves running round to the right side every time and at best can save you if running to your car under fire.

It does, I mentioned that, but it's OK, it's not losing that much top and bottom. Would be better if it had proper support but anything you notice will be forgotten once you're playing.

Mouse; Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye

Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+

I got the QCK+ to try and I may get a QCK XL as a huge mouse for the desk when I finalise my setup. Also might get a few others second hand to try out.

For the keyboard, I do like the idea of customisable RGB key configurations and the options to modify keycaps on other keyboards too. I've never had a mechanical keyboard before so I'm stepping into the world of that first of all. I've found a second hand Ducky Shine 3 TKL with MX Red switches which I'm going to get hopefully. Not as game orientated as the Razer or a Corsair but should set me up nicely to start with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paulod said:

I'm also buying a house, well I would be if every one we look at isn't immediately sold to some fucker else :(

Good luck with yours Nige, hope your hunt is less painful than ours

Good luck too!

We think we may have bought a house, but as you know the whole process is so convoluted and weird that there's no guarantee.

Imagine if buying a mouse was the same.

We have the added fun of a long distance move - out of London after 30 years and relocating to the West Midlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2018 at 12:59 AM, bsoltan said:

Ultra Widescreen/21:9 is something I've considered too. Interesting you say that PUBG is OK as I'd been reading that it isn't natively supported and cuts off some of the top and bottom to give the width.

How anyone can play PUBG at less than 90 FPS I'll never know. This game is so un-optimised you need the high fps to compensate and keep that input lag down.
Based on the performance of my 1080 at 1080P I would imagine it runs like a piece of shit at super high resolutions.

I was surprised to learn you were playing with V-Sync on tbh, limiting your FPS to a mere 60. If you turned it off I imagine it's like playing a different game.

I'd personally rather get GSync and 144Hz over an ultrawide if gaming is your primary purpose for the display. If work is your primary then yeah the ultrawides are pretty neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard anything about this PSU? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-full-modular-80-plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-54a-120mm-fan-atx?v=c

I'm not desperate to get a new on but my current PSU is fully wired and getting on a bit and sometimes has a bit of a rattle coming from the fan under load (a common fault with it apparently but not dangerous or anything).  Current PSU is an XFX one http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/pro-series/pro-series-650w-psu-80-bronze-p1-650s-nlb9

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SuPerNoVi said:

If memory serves Seasonic was highly recommended. Personally I've been leaning toward Corsair PSUs but I think these guys have a good rep.

I've heard that about Seasonic as well just can't find many reviews on the one i've linked to.  I used a Corsair one before, it blew up taking the motherboard with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SuPerNoVi said:

How anyone can play PUBG at less than 90 FPS I'll never know. This game is so un-optimised you need the high fps to compensate and keep that input lag down.
Based on the performance of my 1080 at 1080P I would imagine it runs like a piece of shit at super high resolutions.

I was surprised to learn you were playing with V-Sync on tbh, limiting your FPS to a mere 60. If you turned it off I imagine it's like playing a different game.

I'd personally rather get GSync and 144Hz over an ultrawide if gaming is your primary purpose for the display. If work is your primary then yeah the ultrawides are pretty neat.

I'm playing at 40-45 average and it's fine for me, I regularly finish in the top 10, finished 2nd twice in 3 games earlier this week so can't be running like a piece of shit, unless I'm a gaming god, which I'm not. Never noticed any input lag. Can't play with less than 90 FPS? Sounds like you've read too many articles and it's all in your head.

Not sure who you're talking to re the V-Sync thing as nobody has said that.

The monitor has GSync and 100hz refreseh rate, if you can tell the difference between 100 and 144 you won't like it, can't imagine most people will have an issue. Nobody was playing games on a 144Hz monitor 6 years ago  and I don't remember everyone saying all games were terrible then. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to such things. The immersion of the wider screen is far more important to me than 90FPS and a higher refresh rate. Each to their own.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, burp said:

I'm playing at 40-45 average and it's fine for me, I regularly finish in the top 10, finished 2nd twice in 3 games earlier this week so can't be running like a piece of shit, unless I'm a gaming god, which I'm not. Never noticed any input lag. Can't play with less than 90 FPS? Sounds like you've read too many articles and it's all in your head.

It's not exclusive to PUBG. I play a lot of Overwatch and the difference between 100 FPS and 200 FPS is very apparent to me.
This opinion, if you like, is not from articles it's from experience and playing around with settings to get the best out of my graphics cards.

I think it's one of those things where ignorance is bliss.

However I did come across this guy that explains it really well a while ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=hjWSRTYV8e0

9 hours ago, burp said:

Not sure who you're talking to re the V-Sync thing as nobody has said that.

bsoltan, we teamed up for duos one night and were talking PC tech as you do. I was keen to know how many FPS he was getting out of his beast rig only to discover he'd got it locked on 60. I urged him to turn off Vsync but no idea if he did or not.

9 hours ago, burp said:

The monitor has GSync and 100hz refreseh rate, if you can tell the difference between 100 and 144 you won't like it, can't imagine most people will have an issue. Nobody was playing games on a 144Hz monitor 6 years ago  and I don't remember everyone saying all games were terrible then. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to such things. The immersion of the wider screen is far more important to me than 90FPS and a higher refresh rate. Each to their own.

I didn't know it had Gsync, that should make a considerable difference.

I'm not suggesting 144hz is the minimum, I didn't realise you had 100hz. It's just 144hz is the common one. I myself run on 60hz and I'm very much sticking with ignorance on this as I know if I experience higher I'm going to want to change both my monitors instantly :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s an argument I have no interest in getting into, but if you have a 60hz monitor  then you’re not getting any more than 60FPS. Fact. 

If you say you can tell the difference in terms of input lag I think it’s because you’re spending way to much time worrying about such things instead of just playing games and having fun. 

Saying anything below 90FPS is unplayable on a 60hz monitor is just daft as your monitor can only display 60FPS. I’m not saying it’s impossible for it to feel smoother at 100FPS due to reduced lag, but I still believe 90% of your concerns are in your head. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SuPerNoVi said:

You're wrong :)

Another example seeing as you ignored my video in previous post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/54k7px/60fps_vs_300fps_very_noticeable_on_60hz_monitor/

I didn’t ignore it, I watched it. 

How am I wrong? Your screen displays 60FPS and that’s all I said. 

This is ridiculous, your having this argument while playing on a 60hz screen. I guarantee getting a screen with a higher refresh rate will improve performance WAY more than playing at 200FPS  in yours. 

And I guarantee once you’ve done that, you’ll be on here saying “how anyone can play this game on a 60hz screen I’ll never know”.

The fact that your linking to all these things to back up your claims simply leads me back to what I keep saying. You’ve convinced yourself this problem is 100 tines worse than it is. If you’d said I prefer playing at 90 FPS as it feels a little smoother I wouldn’t have even responded. It’s your statement that anything less is unplayable that’s silly.

If I told you I drive a 2 litre car which does 0-60 in 8 seconds and when I drive a 1 litre car that does it in 14 seconds it’s a noticeable difference you’d say fair enough.

If I told you any car less than 2 litres is undriveable you’d tell me it was all in my head. And you’d be right. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your monitor will only be displaying 60 FPS as it is 60hz that's very true. I was under the impression that no other changes would make a difference to the visuals/game performance hence why I had VSync enabled and fixed the output to 60FPS of my monitor.

However the examples that SuPerNoVi links to explains that although you monitor is 60hz, by allowing the computer to generate images faster (not locked to 60fps) it will mean you have the possibility for a more recent image to load every time the screen refreshes.

I found this the best explanation:

Quote

At 60 fps, your video card is making a new frame every 1/60 of a second or every 16.67 ms. That means every frame that your monitor shows can be delayed up to 16.67 ms.

At 300 fps, your video card is making a new frame every 1/300 of a second or every 3.33 ms. That means every frame that your monitor shows can only be delayed up to 3.33 ms.

Basically, at 300 fps, each frame your monitor shows is more accurate and less delayed, even though it is only showing 60 frames per second.

I have now disabled VSync in games as there is no disadvantage unless you notice any visual problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2018 at 10:18 PM, djmagnifique said:

Has anyone heard anything about this PSU? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-full-modular-80-plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-54a-120mm-fan-atx?v=c

I'm not desperate to get a new on but my current PSU is fully wired and getting on a bit and sometimes has a bit of a rattle coming from the fan under load (a common fault with it apparently but not dangerous or anything).  Current PSU is an XFX one http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/pro-series/pro-series-650w-psu-80-bronze-p1-650s-nlb9

Cheers.

JonnyGuru do PSU reviews, both the 550W and 750W Seasonic Focus have been reviewed and get decent ratings:

750W - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=524

550W- http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=529

EVGA PSUs get decent ratings at the moment, specially their G2 and G3 series. When I researched my build in Autumn last year I got an EVGA.

I've heard Superflower are good at the moment too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bsoltan said:

Your monitor will only be displaying 60 FPS as it is 60hz that's very true. I was under the impression that no other changes would make a difference to the visuals/game performance hence why I had VSync enabled and fixed the output to 60FPS of my monitor.

However the examples that SuPerNoVi links to explains that although you monitor is 60hz, by allowing the computer to generate images faster (not locked to 60fps) it will mean you have the possibility for a more recent image to load every time the screen refreshes.

I found this the best explanation:

I have now disabled VSync in games as there is no disadvantage unless you notice any visual problems.

I understood it after the first video, I’m not sure why you both think otherwise. I even said I’m not saying it’s impossible for it to feel smoother at 100FPS. 

If having read that article you now believe that something which can have an effect which amounts to milliseconds of difference to input lag, makes the game unplayable, I’m not sure what to say. 

I assume you were playing an unplayable game for about 100 hours while you had V-Sync on. 

Bizarre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bsoltan said:

JonnyGuru do PSU reviews, both the 550W and 750W Seasonic Focus have been reviewed and get decent ratings:

750W - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=524

550W- http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=529

EVGA PSUs get decent ratings at the moment, specially their G2 and G3 series. When I researched my build in Autumn last year I got an EVGA.

I've heard Superflower are good at the moment too.

 

Cheers for the links, it was an interesting read.  The in-cable capacitors might be a bit off-putting for me though for cable management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to me, it's unplayable. Like Overwatch as an example, if I put graphics at max. My FPS drops and I find that in a fast paced shooter like that it's having a negative impact on my ability to aim quickly and accurately. Lowering the graphics a bit and bringing the average to about 180fps genuinely feels much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bsoltan said:

Your monitor will only be displaying 60 FPS as it is 60hz that's very true. I was under the impression that no other changes would make a difference to the visuals/game performance hence why I had VSync enabled and fixed the output to 60FPS of my monitor.

However the examples that SuPerNoVi links to explains that although you monitor is 60hz, by allowing the computer to generate images faster (not locked to 60fps) it will mean you have the possibility for a more recent image to load every time the screen refreshes.

I found this the best explanation:

I have now disabled VSync in games as there is no disadvantage unless you notice any visual problems.

This makes little sense to me.

And I've  never thought that disabling  VSync was a disadvantage. For me, I always notice visual problems (tearing) with VSync off.

While it's great to see some activity on the forum, raking up old chestnuts is kinda .... dull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×